Oahu wine stores and restaurant recs

Going to Oahu later this year and need to find out where a good selection of primarily Napa Cabs can be sourced. Staying near Waikiki beach for a week

Also need some recs on great restaurants.

1. Traditional Hawaiian
  2. Chinese
  3. Thai
  4. Japanese

Open to other types too.

Best Sushi?
Best Poke?

winecheck + 12 bottles from your collection? worst case $25 luggage fee, and if Alaska airline, it flies free! :slight_smile:

As far as the wine goes, you might try searching for “Honolulu Wine Stores or Oahu Wine Stores.” There are quite a few options. NK Wine Shop seems to have a nice selection.

I have never travelled with wine “successfully”. Meaning the wine did not taste right upon arrival or a few days later. So when I travel, if I want wine, I run to the stores and cross my fingers. Usually though, I just stick to beer or mixed drinks. But I am meeting my sister there and we both enjoy wine so… I need to find some good wine shops. We actually enjoy very similar style wines so it works out, especially when she is buying. [wink.gif]

Joe if you are headed to the N Shore for any reason I would suggest stopping by Romy’s for lunch. Way better than the over-hyped Giovanni’s and you don’t have to deal with flies.

Forgot to add that if you go to call at least 45min ahead of time to place your order.

Wine stores. Fujioka’s and Tamura’s, both in Kaimuki and fairly close to Waikiki.

Traditional Hawaiian: Helena’s

1 Like

Forgot:

Chinese: Little Village Noodle House, Mei Sum (both in Chinatown). Mei Sum for dim sum

Hi All - We are headed to the Four Seasons Ko Olina in Kapolei - any recco’s on that side of the island?

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Been to the islands several times, and stayed in Ko’Olina a couple of years ago. The hotels have restaurants, and there are a few options in the resort area that aren’t part of the hotels:

1. Monkey Pod — one of Peter Merriman’s restaurants (he has high end restaurants on all of the islands). Monkey Pod is a casual, but nice, restaurant, and the food is very good.

2. Roy’s. Food is pretty standard Roy’s faire, and is good (would not say great, but good). The restaurant sits on the golf course, and has a good view of the course. They have a pretty decent prix fixe option that we had

Pizza Corner has good pizza. Also, the ABC market is the nicest convenience store you will ever see. Deli and prepared food to go, and a really good wine selection

The Luau at the Marriott (not to be confused with the Paradise Cove luau also at Ko Olina) has the most incredible fire dance you will ever see

As I mentioned above, been to all of the islands (other than the big island) multiple times. Daughter and son-in-law live on Oahu, and we’ll be back in about 3 weeks.

Restaurant suggestions in Honolulu:

Merriman’s — as said in post above, Peter Merriman is a successful chef and one of the forerunners of Hawaiian regional food. It’s not “traditional Hawaiian” but heavily Hawaiian-influenced. Nice space, and we’ve been to 4 of his restaurants and never had a bad meal. Good wine list, and they start you with a free glass of Prosecco.

Fete — eclectic menu in a really neat older building. Check out the menu online. We had a great time there last year. Also has a good wine list

Vintage Cave Club. If you want a very high-end meal, go here. Underneath the Ala Moana shopping center. It started as a private club, but is now open to the public. $300 per person for a 10+ course meal featuring high-end Wagyu, or a 20+ course sushi meal. Extensive wine list. Went last year with someone who is a member (they get some extra perks, but anyone can book).

In Waikiki — the Hideout at the Laylow Autograph hotel is a neat outdoor patio restaurant, with upscale Hawaiian cuisine.

Outside Honolulu —. fun place called Haleiwa Joe’s Haiku Gardens in Kaneohe. Beautiful jungle setting with the mountains in the background. Good enough food. Go for the great setting

Venturing out: the North Shore is pretty cool. Haleiwa is a neat town, and the surfing pipeline is nearby. If the surf is up, a great place to watch surfers ride the big waves.

Lanikai beach (east side) is a nice beach, though parking is an issue.

Getting out of Honolulu for a day, making the drive on the highway through the mountains to the east side, and then heading along the coast and up to the north shore will give you a completely different experience than Waikiki, and I highly recommend it

I will be renting a motorcycle for one day to drive around the island. Looking forward to the north shore.

I’ll be there in November, any fine dining recs in Honolulu (will be staying in Waikiki).

It’s been over a decade but I loved Alan Wong’s , any recent reports?

See my post above — Merriman’s and Vintage Cave Club for fine dining, Fete and Hideout for upscale modern

Last review I have on Wong’s is from someone who ate there about 2 years ago, and they said it was outstanding

Reviving the post a bit. Been in Waikiki for a week now and leaving on Sunday.

Best Sushi - Sushi Sho in Ritz Carlton
I’d argue best in the country and better than most in the world. Advanced reservation (weeks or months) is absolutely required.

Best Food Hall - Stix Asia
It’s just opened up earlier this year. Once you enter the food hall from the escalator down, you immediately get transcended to Asia. I tried the stores below.

• Ramen Gashoken - tonkatsu soup that takes 3 days to make. Intense and flavorful (a little too salty towards the end). Thinly cut sous vide pork slices are very tender.
  • Ramen Akatsuki - I had the shio (salt flavored) ramen. Opposite of the tonkatsu soup from Gashoken so light and delicate. Gashoken’s pork is better but I really like theor soft bamboo shoots
  • Tempura Kiki - freshly prepared tempura. Highly recommend you add the “white fish”
  • Nanamusubi - best musubi / onigiri

Best Malasada - Leonard’s
There is a reason why there’s almost a line at any point of the day because it’s worth it. Eat it on the spot when it’s fresh and thank me later.

Alright now onto wine. There are your typical wine retailer stores and I have a few other choices.

• William Gladstone - I think this has been mentioned a few times here on the board. I always ask for a list with HNL in stock wines and they deliver on Tues and Thurs for a flat fee. Prices are competitive with some aged options. Bordeaux, Champagne (mainly Drappier), Napa, and Burgundy.
  • N K Wine Shop - a small local wine shop in Chinatown. Mainly domestic wines and with a good (but small) selection of old world wines, Champagne, Bordeaux, Burgundy, German Riesling, Italian and some. You may not find exactly what you’re looking for but they will have something for you. Most wines are with a bit of age surprisingly.
  • Kakaako Wine - an online only retailer with quite a selection. They do free* same day delivery in parts of HNL (check their website for details). Great customer service too. I had an advanced white burgundy with them and I was able to get it replaced with something else.
1 Like

THANKS!
We’re there next month.

Headed out in October. This is super helpful

Alan Wong’s was great, but I’m afraid it cloed.

I’ll cross post this in the “Best Hawaiian Island@ thread when I do my trip summary, but Kakaako wine is wonderful.

1 Like