PSA: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is nearly the perfect east coast beach town

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics, including restaurants
Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

PSA: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is nearly the perfect east coast beach town

#1 Post by Josh Grossman » August 6th, 2019, 11:37 am

It really is nearly the perfect family beach destination if you are going to the east coast. I do like Maine--but there aren't really swimmable beaches there like here. It is urban enough and mostly historic but with quality buildings, housing stock, and not too dense. I rode my bicycle to Lewes through a state park yesterday, went kayaking at another state park this morning, and am going deep sea fishing tomorrow. I rode my bicycle by Jill Biden (and there was a bald eagle stealing a fish from an osprey when I waved). Norman Rockwell would love this place--especially if he liked painting affluent families, with two dads and multiethnic adopted children, vacationing from DC. We will never go to Hilton Head, the Outer Banks, or any beach town in GA, SC, NC, VA, and/or MD again. This blows them out of the water; there are also towers built all along the beach to blow Nazi submarines out of the water. There is a wonderful wine shop, Bin 66, that has kept my addiction in check (also brought a 1995 Super Tuscan, a 2001 St. Helena, and a 2012 Moussé Fils Terre d'illite Blanc de Noirs from home.) Robert Panzer and Down to Earth Wines are only an hour away if you really want to have fun! Wayne and Garth were wrong--Delaware is wonderful.

Scott Tallman

Re: PSA: Rehoboth Beach, Delaware is nearly the perfect east coast beach town

#2 Post by Scott Tallman » August 6th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Used to go there on family trips as a kid in late 80s, but have not been since. My memories are pretty muddled, but your description sounds nicer than what I remember, although the two dads comment is accurate. Was a bit of a shock to the system for my parents coming from WV.

If I ever make it out that way, will have to check it out. Sounds nice.
CT - WestbyGod

Climbs like Tony Martin and descends like Thibaut Pinot

Rich Salsano

#3 Post by Rich Salsano » August 6th, 2019, 12:57 pm

And Dogfish Head brewpub is also killer btw.
Richard Salsano

cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by cjsavino » August 7th, 2019, 4:08 am

If you like that area, take the ferry and spend time in Cape May, some great dining and byo
Chris

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 7th, 2019, 9:31 am

As we have home in RB, I agree with your post. That said, the traffic is really an issue as developers seem to be unchecked and large tracts of multiple homes keep getting built. No corkage is a hassle but lists in some of the restaurants are ok. Locals know happy hour is the way to go during the summer as offseason many venues have dining specials. Bin 66 has the most interesting selection of wines here though Teller in Lewes is good. Get a Bin 66 bag and you get 10% off 6 bottles or more.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Josh Grossman » August 7th, 2019, 11:35 am

cjsavino wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 4:08 am
If you like that area, take the ferry and spend time in Cape May, some great dining and byo
I really wish they didn't build the main road right along the beach in Cape May. It just isn't as pedestrian and bicycle friendly. That kills it for me. Much higher density too. Some neat houses and history--but I'll stick to Rehoboth and Lewes.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Josh Grossman » August 7th, 2019, 11:37 am

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:31 am
As we have home in RB, I agree with your post. That said, the traffic is really an issue as developers seem to be unchecked and large tracts of multiple homes keep getting built. No corkage is a hassle but lists in some of the restaurants are ok. Locals know happy hour is the way to go during the summer as offseason many venues have dining specials. Bin 66 has the most interesting selection of wines here though Teller in Lewes is good. Get a Bin 66 bag and you get 10% off 6 bottles or more.
Thanks for the heads up on Teller. Going to check out Revelation Brewery tonight after we eat the flounder we caught. Dogfish Head sold to Sam Adams; still pretty good but think Revelation>Dogfish?

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Jeff Vaughan » August 7th, 2019, 1:56 pm

It is also the best town/city for dining in Delaware. Traffic out on route 1 is brutal at times, though.
CT: outplaying

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 8th, 2019, 6:20 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 11:37 am
Jay $$ Winton wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 9:31 am
Thanks for the heads up on Teller. Going to check out Revelation Brewery tonight after we eat the flounder we caught. Dogfish Head sold to Sam Adams; still pretty good but think Revelation>Dogfish?
Not a fan of the merger as DH is better beer so I hope the quality doesn't suffer but the owners of DH have done a lot for the community and certainly deserve their payday. Yet another brew pub will open next to Blue Coast on Route 1 (same ownership group) this fall featuring Troegs beer.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 8th, 2019, 11:05 am

Josh Grossman wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:37 am
It really is nearly the perfect family beach destination if you are going to the east coast. I do like Maine--but there aren't really swimmable beaches there like here. It is urban enough and mostly historic but with quality buildings, housing stock, and not too dense. I rode my bicycle to Lewes through a state park yesterday, went kayaking at another state park this morning, and am going deep sea fishing tomorrow. I rode my bicycle by Jill Biden (and there was a bald eagle stealing a fish from an osprey when I waved). Norman Rockwell would love this place--especially if he liked painting affluent families, with two dads and multiethnic adopted children, vacationing from DC. We will never go to Hilton Head, the Outer Banks, or any beach town in GA, SC, NC, VA, and/or MD again. This blows them out of the water; there are also towers built all along the beach to blow Nazi submarines out of the water. There is a wonderful wine shop, Bin 66, that has kept my addiction in check (also brought a 1995 Super Tuscan, a 2001 St. Helena, and a 2012 Moussé Fils Terre d'illite Blanc de Noirs from home.) Robert Panzer and Down to Earth Wines are only an hour away if you really want to have fun! Wayne and Garth were wrong--Delaware is wonderful.
Thanks for the post. I haven't been in decades. While an "urban" beach is, to me, an oxymoron, and my tastes are decidedly weighted to the Outer Banks, I do plan on exploring the beaches north of here when I retire, and Rehoboth and Cape May are on the list
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Josh Grossman » August 8th, 2019, 11:23 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 11:05 am
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 6th, 2019, 11:37 am
Thanks for the post. I haven't been in decades. While an "urban" beach is, to me, an oxymoron, and my tastes are decidedly weighted to the Outer Banks, I do plan on exploring the beaches north of here when I retire, and Rehoboth and Cape May are on the list
I just mean as compared to suburban. The main streets have zero set backs for the commercial strips and the streets are on a grid. There are no strip malls or mega marts with huge parking lots. It’s built for humans, not cars. There isn’t crappy post war ticket tacky and only a few McMansions. We went to Duck every year for years and this is our fifth year at Rehoboth. To each their own.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#12 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 8th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
August 7th, 2019, 1:56 pm
It is also the best town/city for dining in Delaware. Traffic out on route 1 is brutal at times, though.
My cousins used to own a restaurant there, but they couldn't make it work. He used to be a serious chef in DC, and I think they tried to do too much. Too bad, he's a very talented chef.

Gary York

#13 Post by Gary York » August 9th, 2019, 12:01 am

Ii you don't like the Outer Banks, you don't really like the beach.
ITB

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Josh Grossman » August 9th, 2019, 6:06 am

Gary York wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 12:01 am
Ii you don't like the Outer Banks, you don't really like the beach.
Not sure why the photos are all upside down but the beach is just as good
Attachments
30F294C2-79BA-4012-B796-53F3273F2C90.jpeg
FAA5D731-4879-4D43-8654-EFB2C809CFDD.jpeg
7555574F-5EBB-4601-93AB-E3781EF07456.jpeg
3BFC799D-D948-44DC-9D7C-3180FA78ACA9.jpeg
530B4DD4-BEDE-45B5-99F2-55E17189D8FB.jpeg
FA09B6CB-ACB8-4416-B33A-0C548C400C95.jpeg

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jeff Vaughan » August 9th, 2019, 8:04 am

Josh, I believe that technically that is Lewes and not Rehoboth Beach? You can ride a bike to that from Rehoboth, though.

Sarah, was that Espuma?

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Josh Grossman » August 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Jeff Vaughan wrote:
My cousins used to own a restaurant there, but they couldn't make it work. He used to be a serious chef in DC, and I think they tried to do too much. Too bad, he's a very talented chef.
It wasn’t Bramble and Brine was it? We loved that place

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Howard Cooper » August 11th, 2019, 4:20 pm

We have been to Rehoboth a few times. It is ok. Water is too cold - it is at all the Delaware and Maryland beaches IMHO. Give me Kiawah, Hilton Head, Savannah Beach, etc. But, to be honest, I am not that much of a beach person and like Kiawah and Hilton Head better because of the golf.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 12th, 2019, 6:34 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
August 11th, 2019, 4:20 pm
We have been to Rehoboth a few times. It is ok. Water is too cold - it is at all the Delaware and Maryland beaches IMHO. Give me Kiawah, Hilton Head, Savannah Beach, etc. But, to be honest, I am not that much of a beach person and like Kiawah and Hilton Head better because of the golf.
In the ocean yesterday in RB-delightful temperature. Beautiful day with low humidity so HH on the beach followed with friends. Perfect!

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 6:34 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
In the ocean yesterday in RB-delightful temperature. Beautiful day with low humidity so HH on the beach followed with friends. Perfect!
Fine in August and September I’m sure, June is a likely a little chilly.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 15th, 2019, 11:53 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 11:45 am
Jay $$ Winton wrote:
August 12th, 2019, 6:34 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
Fine in August and September I’m sure, June is a likely a little chilly.
June is cooler but I've been in the water many times and also in October.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm

So if we went for a weekend in late Sept or Oct, where should we stay? Best hotel?

Jeff Vaughan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jeff Vaughan » August 16th, 2019, 5:17 am

I'd recommend Boardwalk Plaza Hotel. Right on the beach and you can walk to everything.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 16th, 2019, 7:10 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
August 15th, 2019, 4:31 pm
So if we went for a weekend in late Sept or Oct, where should we stay? Best hotel?
Also look at Rehoboth Hotel. A nice Italian restaurant is located there as well. Several people have stayed at Canal side Inn and liked it. RB is a very walkable community in general.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Neal.Mollen » August 16th, 2019, 7:25 am

Thanks fellas!

Mark Cochard

#25 Post by Mark Cochard » August 16th, 2019, 10:29 am

Chesapeake & Maine oysters with DFH Sea Quench
A(Muse)
https://www.amuse-rehoboth.com/

Heirloom in Lewes - Check out their yelp page, the owner skewers bad customers.
http://www.heirloomdelaware.com/

https://rehobothfoodie.com/

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Jay $$ Winton » August 16th, 2019, 11:26 am

Let me add best crabcake is from Woody's bar in Dewey Beach. That said, given its zero atmosphere and otherwise mediocre food, buy the cake uncooked and bake at home. A bargain for $17 and just lots of Maryland jumbo backfin with no filler. I've tried others around the area and it remains numero uno.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Josh Grossman » August 16th, 2019, 12:16 pm

There is a guy who is farming oysters out of Rehoboth Bay. His boat is at Rehoboth Bay Marina (off of Collins Ave.) and he works there in the morning. (302) 226-2012 is the tele. They were supposed to be $25 for 50 oysters but there were always about 10 extras in the bag. There were a great size and nice and briney. Also found a guy catching lobster and selling them for $7.50 a pound for nice 2 lbs sized ones.
Attachments
IMG_5937.jpeg
IMG_5920.jpeg

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Josh Grossman » August 16th, 2019, 12:34 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Not sure on hotels. We always get a house in North Shores area from Jack Lingo. Think you would especially like Henlopen and North Shores. Biden's main residence is in North Shores along the Gordon Pond state park:
https://www.jacklingo.com/rentals/delaw ... ass%5B%5D=

Might also look at airbnb and homeaway: https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6610167?lo ... s=a65DrjVN

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Josh Grossman » August 16th, 2019, 12:37 pm

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
August 16th, 2019, 11:26 am
Let me add best crabcake is from Woody's bar in Dewey Beach. That said, given its zero atmosphere and otherwise mediocre food, buy the cake uncooked and bake at home. A bargain for $17 and just lots of Maryland jumbo backfin with no filler. I've tried others around the area and it remains numero uno.
Or just stop at Kent Narrows on your way out to the beach. We like Harris Crab House but if you go on a weekday, you can make an order and stop right next door and pick it up at United Shellfish:
http://www.unitedshellfish.com/products/

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#30 Post by Todd Hamina » August 16th, 2019, 7:46 pm

There's a Chinese place called Confucious our friend took us to, and initially I was thinking "oh boy, bad Chinese on the beach". Much to my surprise the owners were from Changsha, Hunan where I'd lived for a year. Flavors from the homeland baby, so good. I would go back in a heart beat.

Get the green beans...
Last edited by Todd Hamina on August 27th, 2019, 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Kevin Porter
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Kevin Porter » August 17th, 2019, 6:13 pm

Neal - The Bill Charlap trio is playing a there 10/18 as part of a jazz fest. I think you’d enjoy them.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#32 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » August 21st, 2019, 11:17 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 8:04 am
Josh, I believe that technically that is Lewes and not Rehoboth Beach? You can ride a bike to that from Rehoboth, though.

Sarah, was that Espuma?
Josh Grossman wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 1:42 pm
Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:
August 8th, 2019, 3:38 pm
Jeff Vaughan wrote:
It wasn’t Bramble and Brine was it? We loved that place
Jeff/Josh sorry for the delay - I needed to ask my mother to remind me of the name. It was called the Savannah Cafe, on the road to Lewes.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Jay $$ Winton » September 12th, 2019, 9:02 am

Kevin Porter wrote:
August 17th, 2019, 6:13 pm
Neal - The Bill Charlap trio is playing a there 10/18 as part of a jazz fest. I think you’d enjoy them.
The Jazz Fest is fun but we avoid the ticketed concerts as it's generally smooth jazz-not Charlap!! It's more fun to walk around the various restaurants/bars most of whom have live music; however this is weather dependant to really enjoy. Take a look at http://www.rehobothjazz.com/ as it gets closer to the Fest for performance schedules in the restaurants/bars. We'll be attending as we have friends visiting.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 21st, 2019, 7:14 am

For those with experience, if you were heading to Cape May from DC, would you take the ferry? Google maps doesn't even suggest it as an option (95>Wilmington DE> south)

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Jay $$ Winton » September 21st, 2019, 8:07 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 7:14 am
For those with experience, if you were heading to Cape May from DC, would you take the ferry? Google maps doesn't even suggest it as an option (95>Wilmington DE> south)
Sure but book ahead as it's popular. On the Rocks at the Lewes terminal is a fun place to hang before the ferry. EDIT: The most direct way is 95>NJ Turnpike>Atlantic City Expressway.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 21st, 2019, 11:25 am

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:07 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Sure but book ahead as it's popular. On the Rocks at the Lewes terminal is a fun place to hang before the ferry. EDIT: The most direct way is 95>NJ Turnpike>Atlantic City Expressway.
Wrong on the most direct way. Take 95 to the Delaware memorial bridge and then Route 40/55/47/GSP. NJ TPK and ACE are the roundabout way going too far north with additional tolls and backups. The south bound NJ TPK at its terminus can be a backup nightmare. Locals tend use I 295 south of NJ TPK Exit 4 as a general rule.
Don’t worry it’s doubtful car gps, Waze or google maps would route you that way.
A quick search on google maps indicates the extra elapsed time via the ferry is only 10 minutes. This must be predicated on arriving just before the ferry departs. I would probably take the ferry route given 95 is often a nightmare and not very scenic.

Use three locations in your google map search. Search on Lewes as a destination and the ferry should pop up as a choice for Lewes.

n. b. I moved out of SNJ 7 years ago, so if anyone who currently travels these routes gives you advice rely on that.

Jay should have tips on getting to Lewes through Delaware since it’s just north of Rehoboth Beach.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 21st, 2019, 1:11 pm

Jay $$ Winton wrote:
September 21st, 2019, 8:07 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Thanks!

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Jay $$ Winton » September 22nd, 2019, 10:16 am

I'll defer to Tom on the route as it has been a number of years since Ive been to CM.

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 23rd, 2019, 11:11 am

all very helpful. thanks guys

AndrewH

#40 Post by AndrewH » October 15th, 2019, 9:18 am

Neal.Mollen wrote:
Another alternative, down the road a bit, is Bethany Beach. You could get an apartment at Sea Colony for whatever number of days you want.

(Wife's family has been going to Bethany Beach for decades . . . probably a bit quieter than Rehobeth, but the beach is basically the same).
Andrew H e i m e r t

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Josh Grossman » October 15th, 2019, 9:30 am

AndrewH wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 9:18 am
Neal.Mollen wrote:
Another alternative, down the road a bit, is Bethany Beach. You could get an apartment at Sea Colony for whatever number of days you want.

(Wife's family has been going to Bethany Beach for decades . . . probably a bit quieter than Rehobeth, but the beach is basically the same).
I would say Bethany is more similar to The Outer Banks. It's all very new and isn't as charming for me. Dewey is where frat boys go to Party. Bethany is where suburbanites will most feel at home. Lewes is historic but without a beach.

Josh Grossman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Josh Grossman » October 15th, 2019, 9:33 am

Jeff Vaughan wrote:
August 9th, 2019, 8:04 am

Sarah, was that Espuma?
These pics are from Gordon's Pond Park--which is the north end of Rehoboth. The state park and beach does stretch all the way to Lewes and there are the submarine hunting sentinels at both places (and at Rehoboth Bay park too).

Return to “Travel and Restaurants Forum”