Switzerland Recs

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

Switzerland Recs

#1 Post by RyanC » July 14th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Next month we're going to be in Switzerland for a week before heading to the Amalfi Coast. We're flying into Zurich and then going to Lucerne, Wengen (in Jungfrau region), and then Zermatt. Probably one night in Geneva. We'll be with our kids (6 and 4 years old). Would love to hear recs for restaurants (particularly any with interesting wine lists), activities, stores, day trips, etc. We have lodging mostly set. Thanks very much in advance.
C@ughey

Barry L i p t o n

Re: Switzerland Recs

#2 Post by Barry L i p t o n » July 14th, 2019, 7:46 pm

The food halls in the upscale department store in Zurich was amazing. (Can't remember whether I went to Jelmoli or Globus). The Swiss cheese was so good, I brought some onward to France! Look for cheese by Rolf Beeler.

It's been a while since I went but Caduff's Wine Loft in Zurich was da bomb in terms of wine. Food was great too - food was pricey, wine had some real treasures. No real list, you go into the basement and pick something out. When I went, many burgundy treasures at fair values (the older the wine, the better the price relative to today).

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by brigcampbell » July 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm

Wengen - cog wheel train to the Jungfrau through the face of the Eiger. Simply a must.

Where you staying? Alpenrose? The food there is excellent.

Murren on the other side is beautiful.

Trümmelbach Falls are incredible, waterfall inside a mountain
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr%C3%BCmmelbach_Falls

Rick covers some of the bases

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Eric LeVine » July 14th, 2019, 9:57 pm

In Zurich: BÜ‘S RESTAURANT BAR & BÜTIQUE - https://buetique.ch/
Lucerne: Restaurant Red at the KKL center: https://www.kkl-luzern.ch/de/your-visit ... aurant-red
For the kids (and the adults), the amazing Verkehrshaus (transportation museum) https://www.verkehrshaus.ch/startseite.html
In Zermatt, on the mountain, Adler Hitta. Or Restaurant Blatten.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

dbailey

#5 Post by dbailey » July 15th, 2019, 9:18 am

Where are you staying in Zermatt? Highly recommend the Mont Cervin Palace.

In terms of restaurants, not sure what’s open in the summer but the two best mountain ones are Chez Vrony and Findlerhof. Both are an easy 20 min walk down from the lift station at the top of the underground train station or a strenuous walk up from town. There’s also several restaurants at riffelalp.

There are loads of restaurants in town so it depends what you’re looking for but the obvious ones are:
Grill Le Cervin
Joseph’s Bar
Whymperstube
Ferdinand

It’s a wonderful town with stunning views and a lovely atmosphere.
Dan

Jorge Henriquez
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#6 Post by Jorge Henriquez » July 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

Great coincidental thread, Batman!

Also heading to Switzerland at the end of August. One night in Zurich after flying in, then a few days in Verbier for a wedding. Fly out of Geneva to Madrid.

Any reccos for Verbier and/or Geneva?
Cohort Numero Uno!
"I'm a bowl of excitement, bitch!" TMF 08/13/10

A Rubin Stein

#7 Post by A Rubin Stein » July 15th, 2019, 10:34 am

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 7:46 pm
It's been a while since I went but Caduff's Wine Loft in Zurich was da bomb in terms of wine. Food was great too - food was pricey, wine had some real treasures. No real list, you go into the basement and pick something out. When I went, many burgundy treasures at fair values (the older the wine, the better the price relative to today).
I was at Caduff's a number of years ago and loved it. Sat at the counter and the chef prepared venison he had hunted that same day. I went into the wine cellar, poked around and came up with an older Giuseppe Mascarello Barolo for under 100 Euro, as I recall.
a s h e r

dbailey

#8 Post by dbailey » July 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

Also heading to Switzerland at the end of August. One night in Zurich after flying in, then a few days in Verbier for a wedding. Fly out of Geneva to Madrid.

Verbier is nothing like as good a food destination as zermatt but I have friends who live there so I’ll ask and revert.
Dan

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by RyanC » July 15th, 2019, 12:52 pm

dbailey wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:18 am

In terms of restaurants, not sure what’s open in the summer but the two best mountain ones are Chez Vrony and Findlerhof. Both are an easy 20 min walk down from the lift station at the top of the underground train station or a strenuous walk up from town. There’s also several restaurants at riffelalp.

There are loads of restaurants in town so it depends what you’re looking for but the obvious ones are:
Grill Le Cervin
Joseph’s Bar
Whymperstube
Ferdinand

This is great stuff (this post and all of them). We are indeed staying at the Mont Cervin Palace. Looks like a great spot.
C@ughey

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Paul McCourt » July 15th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Jorge Henriquez wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:48 am

Bayview at the Marriott President Wilson (upscale & pricey)
Ate at Brasserie Lipp, standard solid French.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

dbailey

#11 Post by dbailey » July 15th, 2019, 11:09 pm

RyanC wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 12:52 pm
dbailey wrote:
July 15th, 2019, 9:18 am

Grill Le Cervin
Joseph’s Bar
Whymperstube
Ferdinand

This is great stuff (this post and all of them). We are indeed staying at the Mont Cervin Palace. Looks like a great spot.
We stayed at MCP in feb half term this year and absolutely loved it. Our half board package included a dine around plan with c. 20 restaurants included where we could have dinner. 2 were in the hotel and the rest were around town or on the mountain. Great idea that we took full advantage of! Don’t know if your stay has the same deal or not. Only the 1st 2 mountain restaurants I listed above were not on our dine around plan but I’d certainly visit them regardless at the very least for lunch.
Dan

dbailey

#12 Post by dbailey » July 15th, 2019, 11:19 pm

PS concierge at the mcp should be able to help with what’s open and getting reservations. More tips:

Gornergrat train is a must.
Take the train into town when you first arrive in zermatt and pre-order pick up from there with the hotel in one of their little electric shuttles.
There’s a decent italian restaurant (great pizzas) with a nice terrace outside at the top of the cable car to trockenersteg. Great views from there but even better views if you take the next cable car right to the top and then go up to the viewing platform. You can see mont blanc amongst other things from up there.

PS if you pm me your email I can send you the write up for all the dine around restaurants we were given.
Dan

Return to “Travel Forum”