Zanzibar, Dar es Salaam

Anyone been to Zanzibar? Any recommendations? I’m interested in history & culture as well as lodging, food & natural beauty/the usual tourist activities.

Also, any recommendations re Dar es Salaam? Finally, is there an easy way to get from Zanzibar/Dar es Salaam to Ngorogoro Crater or Kilimanjaro, or is that too ambitious for a 2 week trip? (I’ve been to Ngorogoro & Kilimanjaro before - this would be a return.).

Thanks in advance.
Theo

My son just returned from trekking up Kilimanjaro, followed by four days R&R in Zanzibar. He flew nonstop (1 hr) from Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar on Air Tanzania. On the way back, he flew from Zanzibar to Dar es Salaam, then to Amsterdam, connecting to LAX. His trip was 16 days, including travel and 10 days going up and down Kilimanjaro. He liked his stay at Breezes in Zanzibar: https://breezes-zanzibar.com/.

Spent 6 days in Zanzibar a couple of years ago, a couple of days in Stonetown and the rest at a beach resort on the east side of the island. Stonetown is quite interesting architecturally and culturally. The old slave quarters are a must visit and very moving. The fishing port and main fish market areas are a real scene (and have few tourists because it’s a true working port and market, not a quiet, quaint hangout). The Serena in Stonetown is a nice and beautiful hotel. Food is very good especially seafood, and heavily Indian-influenced. The resort food tends to be more European; tons of Italians and Eastern Europeans holiday there (many resorts are Italian-owned). We ran into few if any Americans.

Snorkeling in the northwest is very good unless you catch a jellyfish tide. The west side is quite a bit rougher in the water except for the NW portion around some islands, east side is quiet with a significant reef a ways out so off the beach swimming varies widely depending on location. Spice plantation tours are interesting and cheap. The southern park is full of interesting flora and fauna including the rare and amazingly human-looking Zanzibar red colobus monkey.

Lots of easy, short flights to Dar and Kilimanjaro airports from Stonetown.

Gentlemen, outstanding. Thank you. I may follow up in time, if you don’t mind. For now - Mark: Do you/your son have any recommendations or thoughts on trekking up Kilimanjaro? That was my idea, as a combination with going to Zanzibar.

Thanks again.

3 days spent there, with one day visit into stonetown, the rest in a beach resort.
i just remember the sun there being potent AF. i didn’t think i was exposed much but i can barely lay down on my back after not very long in the sun.

Fun place… good stop after a trip to tanzania/eastern africa.

Theo,
My son went with MT Sobel. He trekked mountain gorillas in Rwanda with them last year and is a big fan. His Kilimanjaro group consisted of 6 guests and 40-ish support staff on the mountain. Michael told me that MT Sobel has the highest rate of summiting of the Kilimanjaro tour providers. MT Sobel’s groups go up through the Great Western Breach, which is apparently the most challenging route. He loved it and plans to go to Antarctica with them next year.

Mark - Great, I will look into it. I’m familiar with Sobek; I think they are from Berkeley (or were at one point). Was his subsequent visit to Zanzibar something he did on his own, or was that also run by Sobek? (I generally try and avoid tour groups/guides, something like climbing Kilimanjaro obviously excepted.). Thanks again for your help with this.

They went to Zanzibar on their own.

I’d stay at the Emerson & Green hotel in Zanzibar. It is a nice island with some amazing history, but I prefer Lamu for r&r.

Thanks Mark. I just looked at Sobek - they look great (as always). Thanks; I didn’t even think of them! Really good. Did he do the ‘Trek’ or ‘Summit’ trip? (I assume the latter?)

Ryan - Thanks. Lamu Kenya? I heard in the last 3-5 years there have been a lot of culture clashes - not benign ones - between the devout majority & tourists. I would love to be wrong.

Theo,
He went on the summit trip. His journey: Part 1 https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18052304266186259/ and Part 2 https://www.instagram.com/stories/highlights/18049879303135361/

Not sure what type of lodging you’re looking for, but if a boutique beach resort, Next Paradise was an incredible stay when my wife and I went a year ago. More affordable than other comparable resorts on the island. Dar es Salaam was pretty rough but we enjoyed a day trip safari to Mikumi Park, where I imagine you see the majority of things you see on a major safari but for a small fraction of the price. Happy to provide our trip contact if interested. Lunch or dinner at The Rock Restaurant is also a pretty fun experience.

Gentlemen - Thank you! Really appreciated. This is frightening. Mark, based on your great fight advice, I just essentially worked out 2 trips Seattle-Dar es Salaam, one for the fall, one for next spring. This has gone from an idea to a virtual certainty - to occur at least at some point - in about 45 minutes all-in. I will look at your son’s pictures. Thanks all for your outstanding advice, and Andrew and others for your offers. I will follow up in time. Thank you. Theo

Mark - Fantastic instragram of the journey by your son. Perfect for me; really appreciated. Thank you. Do you mind if I follow up with you at some point by pm re the physical prep, etc., your son did?

It’s been 10 years since I’ve been, but I loved it. I hadn’t heard about the clashes with the locals. Did hear that there had been one kidnapping and that has damaged the tourist industry.