New Orleans Hotels

Where do you like to stay? I haven’t been there in 25 years.

Ooooh, you are going to have such a great time! I’ve stayed at a bunch of places usually connected to some business event, where the choice wasn’t mine, and every time I wish I had stayed at the Soniat House. https://www.soniathouse.com/

We always liked the Windsor Court.

It certainly looks beautiful and I called them, but the deal breaker was the cancellation policy of 30 days!

They only have a handful of rooms; a no-show or late(ish) cancellation would be a problem, I suppose… Too bad

Avoid the Ritz. I usually like the Ritz, but this one was in an unsatisfactory location and a subpar hotel.

1 Like

I haven’t been there in over a decade, but I always enjoyed the Hotel Monteleone.

1 Like

It’s been probably 30 years but we thoroughly enjoyed the Soniat House when we stayed there. A little off the beaten path (then) and really captured the flavor of the area.

I used to stay in the quarter at the penthouse of the Royal Street Inn. It was inexpensive (~$120/nt) and most NOLA places were easily accessible by foot.

Love the Omni Royal–not generic, near everything, and great rooftop bar.

Last time there I stayed at the Royal Sonesta, which is a very nice hotel. On the plus side, it is right in the heart of everything. On the downside IT IS RIGHT IN THE HEART OF EVERYTHING! You will be surrounded by drunks 24/7. I love, love, love New Orleans and the Quarter, but if I never hit Bourbon Street again, I’d be totally ok with that.

Roosevelt. Buy me a drink one day and we’re good.

1 Like

A friend of a friend stays here. I just booked it.

I appreciate all the recommendations.

Fairfield Inn & Suites, 346 Baronne Street

Recently renovated warehouse. Rooms are large. Decor is modern distressed, like West Elm. Wood support beams from original warehouse gave the room personality. Short walk to Bourbon Street.
Recommend taking a street car to lunch at Commanders for 25 cent martinis. Also recommend Luke, in the Hilton, especially happy hour. Galatoire’s for traditional cooking and service and nice wine list. Court of Two Sisters for brunch.

We stayed at the Roosevelt during our last trip. It was very comfortable, but we’ve become accustomed to AirBnBs

1 Like

Really? I’ve stayed there several times over the last couple years and I thought it was great. We booked it for graduation weekend next year too.

I also like the Windsor Court.

I stayed at The Pontchartrain Hotel a few years back and it was great. An old place that was just redone in the Garden District. Has a great rooftop bar.

1 Like

The street the Ritz was on (Canal?) was exceedingly ugly and unappealing. The layout of the hotel was ridiculous - we were on the Club level, which offered good food and a comfortable setting, but I needed a map, had to walk about a 1/2 mile and take two separate elevators that were not near one another, to get from our room to the street. The room was nothing special and also had no fridge where we could store cold drinks and food. We have stayed at and enjoyed our other stays at Ritz hotels (e.g. San Fran, Montreal, London) and really liked them, but I thought the New Orleans one left a lot to be desired. For what it’s worth.

Agree that it’s not the most beautiful location, and there are certainly other, newer RC’s that are more luxurious and modern for sure. I just don’t think that I’d tell people to “avoid” it, as it is IMO the best hotel I’ve stayed at in New Orleans (I stayed at the Windsor court, the W and le meridian, but not the Roosevelt).

The double elevator is for safety… one elevator from street level to lobby which anyone can access. But you need a fob to take the elevators to the rooms, which as a woman often traveling alone, I appreciate.

Last time I was there in April, I was upgraded to a large suite, also on the club floor. (I have gotten a nice upgrade every time.) My room definitely had a fridge and was very comfortable. And the breakfast there is my daughter’s favorite in town (she goes to Tulane).

Sherri, since you are a frequent visitor to New Orleans, what restaurants do you like?