New Orleans Hotels

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

New Orleans Hotels

#1 Post by Diane Kessler » July 4th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Where do you like to stay? I haven't been there in 25 years.

Neal.Mollen

Re: New Orleans Hotels

#2 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Diane Kessler wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Ooooh, you are going to have such a great time! I've stayed at a bunch of places usually connected to some business event, where the choice wasn't mine, and every time I wish I had stayed at the Soniat House. https://www.soniathouse.com/
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

jeffmazen

#3 Post by jeffmazen » July 4th, 2019, 5:38 pm

We always liked the Windsor Court.
Disloyal and uninformed.

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Diane Kessler » July 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Diane Kessler wrote:
Ooooh, you are going to have such a great time! I've stayed at a bunch of places usually connected to some business event, where the choice wasn't mine, and every time I wish I had stayed at the Soniat House. https://www.soniathouse.com/
It certainly looks beautiful and I called them, but the deal breaker was the cancellation policy of 30 days!

Neal.Mollen

#5 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 4th, 2019, 6:53 pm

Diane Kessler wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Neal.Mollen wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Diane Kessler wrote:
It certainly looks beautiful and I called them, but the deal breaker was the cancellation policy of 30 days!
They only have a handful of rooms; a no-show or late(ish) cancellation would be a problem, I suppose.. Too bad

Peter Metzger

#6 Post by Peter Metzger » July 4th, 2019, 8:21 pm

Avoid the Ritz. I usually like the Ritz, but this one was in an unsatisfactory location and a subpar hotel.
Peter

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Mike Evans » July 5th, 2019, 7:27 am

I haven’t been there in over a decade, but I always enjoyed the Hotel Monteleone.

Pete Lawley
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Pete Lawley » July 5th, 2019, 7:52 am

It’s been probably 30 years but we thoroughly enjoyed the Soniat House when we stayed there. A little off the beaten path (then) and really captured the flavor of the area.
Pete

"I felt like a kazoo player sitting in with Coltrane" - Robin Williams on doing improv with Jonathan Winters.

Drew Goin

#9 Post by Drew Goin » July 5th, 2019, 9:54 am

I used to stay in the quarter at the penthouse of the Royal Street Inn. It was inexpensive (~$120/nt) and most NOLA places were easily accessible by foot.

Joshua Kates
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Joshua Kates » July 5th, 2019, 1:50 pm

Love the Omni Royal--not generic, near everything, and great rooftop bar.

Neal.Mollen

#11 Post by Neal.Mollen » July 5th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Last time there I stayed at the Royal Sonesta, which is a very nice hotel. On the plus side, it is right in the heart of everything. On the downside IT IS RIGHT IN THE HEART OF EVERYTHING! You will be surrounded by drunks 24/7. I love, love, love New Orleans and the Quarter, but if I never hit Bourbon Street again, I'd be totally ok with that.

Glenn L e v i n e
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » July 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm

Roosevelt. Buy me a drink one day and we’re good.

https://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en/h ... WA-MSYRHWA
"Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Diane Kessler » July 6th, 2019, 5:18 am

Mike Evans wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 7:27 am
I haven’t been there in over a decade, but I always enjoyed the Hotel Monteleone.
A friend of a friend stays here. I just booked it.

I appreciate all the recommendations.

ArtF

#14 Post by ArtF » July 6th, 2019, 8:38 am

Fairfield Inn & Suites, 346 Baronne Street

Recently renovated warehouse. Rooms are large. Decor is modern distressed, like West Elm. Wood support beams from original warehouse gave the room personality. Short walk to Bourbon Street.
Recommend taking a street car to lunch at Commanders for 25 cent martinis. Also recommend Luke, in the Hilton, especially happy hour. Galatoire's for traditional cooking and service and nice wine list. Court of Two Sisters for brunch.
Last edited by ArtF on July 7th, 2019, 8:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
Art Forman

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by David K o l i n » July 6th, 2019, 9:28 am

Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm

We stayed at the Roosevelt during our last trip. It was very comfortable, but we’ve become accustomed to AirBnBs

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#16 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 8th, 2019, 12:56 pm

Peter Metzger wrote:
July 4th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Avoid the Ritz. I usually like the Ritz, but this one was in an unsatisfactory location and a subpar hotel.
Really? I've stayed there several times over the last couple years and I thought it was great. We booked it for graduation weekend next year too.

I also like the Windsor Court.

Chuck Turack

#17 Post by Chuck Turack » July 8th, 2019, 3:04 pm

I stayed at The Pontchartrain Hotel a few years back and it was great. An old place that was just redone in the Garden District. Has a great rooftop bar.

Peter Metzger

#18 Post by Peter Metzger » July 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Sherri S h a p i r o wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 12:56 pm
Peter Metzger wrote:
Really? I've stayed there several times over the last couple years and I thought it was great. We booked it for graduation weekend next year too.

The street the Ritz was on (Canal?) was exceedingly ugly and unappealing. The layout of the hotel was ridiculous - we were on the Club level, which offered good food and a comfortable setting, but I needed a map, had to walk about a 1/2 mile and take two separate elevators that were not near one another, to get from our room to the street. The room was nothing special and also had no fridge where we could store cold drinks and food. We have stayed at and enjoyed our other stays at Ritz hotels (e.g. San Fran, Montreal, London) and really liked them, but I thought the New Orleans one left a lot to be desired. For what it’s worth.
Peter

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#19 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 9th, 2019, 3:18 am

Peter Metzger wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm
Peter Metzger wrote:

The street the Ritz was on (Canal?) was exceedingly ugly and unappealing. The layout of the hotel was ridiculous - we were on the Club level, which offered good food and a comfortable setting, but I needed a map, had to walk about a 1/2 mile and take two separate elevators that were not near one another, to get from our room to the street. The room was nothing special and also had no fridge where we could store cold drinks and food. We have stayed at and enjoyed our other stays at Ritz hotels (e.g. San Fran, Montreal, London) and really liked them, but I thought the New Orleans one left a lot to be desired. For what it’s worth.
Agree that it’s not the most beautiful location, and there are certainly other, newer RC’s that are more luxurious and modern for sure. I just don’t think that I’d tell people to “avoid” it, as it is IMO the best hotel I’ve stayed at in New Orleans (I stayed at the Windsor court, the W and le meridian, but not the Roosevelt).

The double elevator is for safety... one elevator from street level to lobby which anyone can access. But you need a fob to take the elevators to the rooms, which as a woman often traveling alone, I appreciate.

Last time I was there in April, I was upgraded to a large suite, also on the club floor. (I have gotten a nice upgrade every time.) My room definitely had a fridge and was very comfortable. And the breakfast there is my daughter’s favorite in town (she goes to Tulane).

Diane Kessler
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Diane Kessler » July 9th, 2019, 4:34 am

Sherri, since you are a frequent visitor to New Orleans, what restaurants do you like?

jeffmazen

#21 Post by jeffmazen » July 9th, 2019, 7:18 am

Diane,
Not to hijack your question to Sherri but our son graduated Tulane a couple of years ago and we've been regular visitors as well. Here's a few we have found to be very reliable:

Cochon
Peche
Shaya
Compere Lapin
Dick and Jenny's
La Petit Grocerie
Clancy's
Atchafalaya
August
Herbsaint
Disloyal and uninformed.

Sherri S h a p i r o
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#22 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 9th, 2019, 8:51 am

Diane Kessler wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 4:34 am
Sherri, since you are a frequent visitor to New Orleans, what restaurants do you like?
Diane - there is a great thread on New Orleans restaurants in the Epicurean forum that will be helpful: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=120998

Depends on what you are looking for - there are lots of old stalwarts that people rave about, but I am not really a fan of that heavy, Southern cuisine.

My favorite is Saba, the newish Alon Shaya modern Israeli restaurant on Magazine Street - delicious and so unexpected.

Peter Metzger

#23 Post by Peter Metzger » July 9th, 2019, 11:05 am

July 9th, 2019, 3:18 am
Peter Metzger wrote:
July 8th, 2019, 8:31 pm

Agree that it’s not the most beautiful location, and there are certainly other, newer RC’s that are more luxurious and modern for sure. I just don’t think that I’d tell people to “avoid” it, as it is IMO the best hotel I’ve stayed at in New Orleans (I stayed at the Windsor court, the W and le meridian, but not the Roosevelt).

The double elevator is for safety... one elevator from street level to lobby which anyone can access. But you need a fob to take the elevators to the rooms, which as a woman often traveling alone, I appreciate.

Last time I was there in April, I was upgraded to a large suite, also on the club floor. (I have gotten a nice upgrade every time.) My room definitely had a fridge and was very comfortable. And the breakfast there is my daughter’s favorite in town (she goes to Tulane).
Sherri - I've been to N.O only once and we stayed at the Ritz. If it's the best place, then I don't want to think about what the others are like. And the fact that they have the crazy 2 elevator system for whatever reason doesn't make it appealing.

On the other hand, as I mentioned, I liked the food and setting at the Club level. And what's really important (no sarcasm intended) is that you have had nice breakfasts there with your daughter. [cheers.gif]
Peter

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#24 Post by Robert M yers » July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am

David K o l i n wrote:
July 6th, 2019, 9:28 am
Glenn L e v i n e wrote:
July 5th, 2019, 2:54 pm

We stayed at the Roosevelt during our last trip. It was very comfortable, but we’ve become accustomed to AirBnBs
I love the Roosevelt (just returned in May), but man the Sazerac bar has just lost its charm in recent years. I really don’t want to hang out and pay $20 for a Sazerac where 80% of the Patrons are treating it like a bar on bourbon st. Class it up people (should be in the get off my lawn thread I suppose)

I agree the Omni Royal is in just about the best location and a beautiful hotel, but has very very small rooms if that’s an issue.

Royal St is fun old school if you have a balcony on Royal St. have to enjoy the charms of peeling paint and creeky floors ect.

Ive yet to find the “perfect” place but I love trying new places too just for the experiences.

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by George Hejna » July 11th, 2019, 9:58 am

Windsor Court. They have frequent buy get offers through Amex Fine hotels and resorts.

George

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Joe Dulworth » July 15th, 2019, 11:45 am

I was perfectly fine with The Ritz. Once you figure out where everything is it is a piece of cake to navigate including getting to some top restaurants in the quarter. My two cents worth.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by David K o l i n » July 15th, 2019, 12:07 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
July 9th, 2019, 11:43 am
I love the Roosevelt (just returned in May), but man the Sazerac bar has just lost its charm in recent years. I really don’t want to hang out and pay $20 for a Sazerac where 80% of the Patrons are treating it like a bar on bourbon st. Class it up people (should be in the get off my lawn thread I suppose)

Ain't it the truth

Tim Melton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Tim Melton » July 16th, 2019, 8:32 am

We travel to NoLa several times a year - typically on short notice for a long weekend on weeks when there isn't a fest or huge convention. We have stayed all over the Quarter and CBD in the past and we now only stay at the Roosevelt. As noted above, the Sazerac bar and the Fountain Lounge have lost their appeal due to the tourist traffic, but the rooms are nice if you pick wisely. The hotel is a combination of two buildings and the floors lay out differently depending on what side you are on. We strongly prefer tower one, which is the elevator bank across from Teddy's and closest to the main entrance, for two reasons - the ceilings are much higher, making the rooms feel more grand and tower one is farther away from the church bells that ring on the other side of the building. Since there are a lot of other Diamond level folks that stay at the Roosevelt over the weekends, we have learned not to rely on an upgrade to get a better room - instead, we reserve a suite - there are several options in suite selections and the price delta is typically not that much over a decent sized king bed single room.

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Marshall Gelb » August 21st, 2019, 11:39 am

Really enjoyed the NOPSI in the CBD.....relatively new and a nice location.

https://www.nopsihotel.com

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Degarmo.j

#30 Post by Degarmo.j » September 7th, 2019, 8:46 am

Stayed at the Eliza Jane in May and loved it. Still walking distance to nice things, rooms were very affordable and nice. Lobby bar is very nice.
J o u r d a i n

Return to “Travel Forum”