Rome: RIMESSA ROSCIOLI Wine Tasting Options

I came across Roscioli multiple times when looking for restaurants but they are booked and the website suggested their wine bar. They offer a number of wine/food pairing options but had a Taste the Legends option at the bottom. Has anyone done it? The three options are below. The first is Italian focused, the next two are Italian focused but have multiple French counterparts. I am torn. Most of what we drink is French so sight unseen I would choose either choose the Italian-focused menu or see about an upgrade to the Italian-focused menu. Their French selections look outstanding, however, and it might be fun to compare and contrast. Any thoughts on what would you do? Thanks.

Hi, Paul
if you’re not able to book Roscioli, my recommendations are to look at Emma and/or Per Me - Giulio Terrinoni. Both are very likely to exceed your expectations. To answer your question, no, I’ve not done the Taste the Legends option; not something I’d ever consider outside of my home, or with various wine groups.

Dinner at Roscioli was booked when we were in Rome a couple years ago, so we did lunch, which was great.

Thanks to both.

Tim, I will take a look at both restaurants. Out of curiosity, why would you not do an extensive tasting outside of your home?

Dinner reservation at Roscioli next Wed night! Looking forward to it.
And Emma for lunch on Tuesday.

Paul- Thanks for the detail on Rimessa, thought about that, but went with Roscioli proper instead. Hope you have a good time and report back. I think Berserker Brad Kaplan is also going to Rimessa this summer.

I’ll be there in July, no plans for what if any tasting we might do - definitely ordering a la carte for food. Please do report back!

FWIW, it seems to me that the 1st one, least expensive, is the best deal. You got the Gaja and the intereresting Tuscans, don’t see commensurate value as you go up the ladder.

Roscioli Salumeria was the bomb last Wed. We are trying to go back tomorrow night for our last night in Rome it was so good. Might try the walk-in route, though I hear that rarely works. Well worth booking in advance for it. May end up at Rimessa. We’ll see…

So, we had a great time at Rimessa. When I booked, I asked for a focus on Italy but said I was unsure on which level and they said we could decide when we got there. When we arrived, the somm was so excited about the tasting. She had spent a decent part of the afternoon coming up with the list so I felt a little sheepish about her culling the list to go the lower price range so we did the top level. I don’t think she was upselling us. Was it expensive, yes, but it was a great 3.5 hour dinner/tasting. She walked us through the significance of each wine. The list is below. I would recommend. The restaurant is generally setup for larger groups and if you don’t bring your own group, you will be paired with others. We had our own table because we did the tasting. We were the first reservation at their suggestion so they could have time to discuss each wine and I am glad we took their suggestion. She got busier and busier as the night went on. We had decent tastes of everything and when we asked for more, we got it without hesitation. Food pairings weren’t fancy but very good pairings to showcase the wine. My first time to Italy, our first night, and while I know a little about Italy, this was a good survey course and a good start to our trip.

Can’t remember how it came up, but we started talking about Clos de Lambrays and she went down to the cellar to retrieve a bottle toward the end of the night. Good but surprisingly oaky, made me a little suspicious of the '14s I have that have not tasted.

WINE SELECTION
Franciacorta Brut Solo Uva
Timorasso 2017, La Colombera
Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo 2017, Le Cince, De Fermo
Mystery wine - Rimessa Red - They gave us a bottle at the end.
Etna Rosso Feudo 2014, Girolamo Russo
Cesanese del Piglio Vignali Priore 2016, La Visciola
Kurni 2010, Oasi degli Angeli
Nobile di Montepulciano Riserva 2013, Boscarelli
Chianti Rufina 1978, Selvapiana
Le Pergole Torte 2001, Montevertine
Brunello di Montalcino 2012, Biondi Santi
Vigna d’Alceo 2011, Castello dei Rampolla
Sassicaia 2001
Lynch Bages 1999
Barolo Riserva San Bernardo 2012, Palladino
Barolo Ciabot Mentin Ginestra 2006, Domenico Clerico