Balkan Help

Next week, we are off to the Balkans- Sarajevo, Mostar, Split, Korcula, Rovinj, Ljubljana, Lake Bled, and Zagreb. We have reservations at JB’s in Ljubljana, Monte in Rovinj, and Hisa Franko.

I’d love any other recommendations for dining. FWIW, we will be traveling with two teenagers, who are moderately adventurous when it comes to food.

Nuthin’?

Todd. These are all cities on my future list. I would be interested too! BTW, you should PM Leo. He has family in Croatia and pretty good
first hand knowledge of that area.

Thanks, Don. I’ll send him a message.

Man, you are testing my memory. These impressions are like a decade old.

In Bled, we had our best meal at Ostarija Peglez’n. I’d avoid the overrated Penzione Mayer. Wanted to try Restavracija 1906. Pizzeria Gallus would be a good spot to feed the teens and yourself.

Korcula — I’m sorry I can’t remember the name, but our best meal was this outdoor grilled fresh seafood and fish place in the hills above korcula town. Just killer simple prep of whatever they caught.

Rovijn is a sea of tourist places. They’re solid to mediocre imo. I’m glad you found a place you trust.

Might be a little late, but looking back at notes, nothing I wrote down as a must-eat in Mostar, but I do remember some good, simple and local food in a tiny bar tucked under the bridge called Lagero (spelling?).

Too bad you won’t be making the trip further south to Kotor, my favorite stop in the area.

Also in Bled, really enjoyed a dinner at finefood Berc, with a nice green risotto.

Monte in Rovinj was good.

Dvor in Split was pretty good, but not so good that I’d have said anything if you weren’t pleading for suggestions .

Overall, Croatia has amazing quality and value for food. We spent 2 months in Kastela (between Split and Trogir) and we have some favorites there. However, it was hard to find decent food in Split. Bajamont is good though for seafood. A local brought us to an amazing roasted lamb place outside of Split, but I forget the name. I’ll reach out to her to get the name later. It’s one of those small family owned joints with the lambs roasted out front.

If you like beaches, Kasjuni Beach on Marjan is the best in Split. But by far my favorite in the area is the beach near the Laganini Beach Club on the island across from Trojir. Unfortunately you are just missing the soccer season. Even if you don’t like soccer, it’s an experience to witness the fans of Hajduk. I’d recommend a game to anybody reading this thread in the future.

A tip for Mostar is to go on the Sheva Walking Tour. He is really passionate about his city and gives great info about the division between people and sad state of politics of the country. It might have been the best free walking tour I’ve ever been on.