Paris itinerary / wine accessible restaurants

Sincerely appreciate thoughts and advice for restaurant selection that have reasonably accessible wine lists. I will be the only one drinking and have the opportunity for 4 dinners with wine… my significant other is joining, but is not drinking. For context, (i) I am the only one drinking, (ii) prefer red Burgundy/northern rhone (no whites), (iii) will only be allowed ~1 bottle per day, (iv) this would be my first trip to Paris where I will be more focused on the wine list (as a ‘rookie’). I’m also a ‘rookie’, albeit with a reasonable budget of 75-250 euro per bottle (sweet spot is in the middle). We prefer non-Michelin dining experiences. We are staying in the 11th (if that matters). Below is a crack at an itinerary, borrowing heavily from other threads.

Day 1 (Thu):
Arrive red eye.
Lunch: L’Arperge (1:30PM reservation) + Rodin Museum [TBD wine depends on price and whether I got any sleep]
Dinner: Casual (Miznon/La Villaret/Vantre) [TBD wine depends on whether I got any sleep]

Day 2 (Fri):
Lunch: La Cagouille (skip wine)
Dinner: Willi’s Wine Bar (buy a bottle of wine)

Day 3 (Sat):
Lunch: Miznon (wife wants falafels once, skip wine)
Dinner: Clown Bar (buy a bottle of wine)

Day 4 (Sun):
Lunch: Les Enfants du Marche (skip wine)
Dinner: Vantre (buy a bottle of wine)

It seems people believe reasonable tariff wines may be obtained at Willi and Vantre (although I have not seen a wine list at either, and don’t know where else to go for ‘Tampa steakhouse’ pricing). Not sure if I should consider Clown Bar “wine friendly” and swap it to lunch, in lieu for a more wine friendly dinner spot. Definitely want to hit La Cagouille with the wife for a top notch seafood experience, and as I don’t drink whites/champs figured better to do this for a lunch and skip wine.

Other spots I have read in other threads that would be of interest:
Le Petit Verdot
Septime (need to get the reservation)
CAM Export/Import

Again, thank you for thoughts

Love Septime. BTG can be a great way to go as well as a single drinker. 110 de Taillevent has some excellent btg selections and outstanding food.

You can drink a bunch of Cognac at La Cagouille since you don’t drink white :slight_smile:

I’m in Paris now. Not sure when you’re coming but CAM is closing for about 2 weeks starting today. We had a fantastic dinner at Rigmarole. We went with the 69 euro tasting. They also have excellent wines, mostly natural. Trying out Au Passage and Grand Bain in the next few days. Wine prices are a pleasant surprise in France compared to the states. The 11th is lively with tons of restaurants, bar a vin and people everywhere. Enjoy your trip.

If you are into Burgundy I would suggest Les Climats.

Yes, CAM reopens on May 8th.

Too many good options I suppose. I assume you have read my fairly recent report here on a few days spent in Paris and Lyon in last December so I don’t wish to repeat myself other than say that if it is “wine friendly” you are looking for then you should really consider Le Petit Sommelier.

L’arpege will be expensive in my opinion

Another suggestion le petit sommelier (https://www.lepetitsommelier-paris.fr/)

[deleted]

Arpege will be after red eye and likely no major wine purchase. It’s also for the spouse.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I second that. Also try Saturne and YARD !

La Cagouille no wine? This time of year they have the Chablis fest. Raveneau and Dauvissat at reasonable prices with buttered razor clams. No-brainer!

The OP is one of the chromatically challenged, red only. It’s tragic.

Best possible reason to go. It’s great but is eye-wateringly expensive. Coming of a red-eye would be crap for me because I don’t sleep well on planes, but it is an experience, and Passard is a charmer.

Tragic indeed! mmmmm…razor clams and Chablis

Thank you all for great suggestions! Unfortunately many of them are not open on Sat/Sun, which is a bummer (it is such a long list of great suggestions). I even moved La Cougille to Saturday evening as a result (I figured Petit Sommelier to similar to Sunday’s dinner, “Les 101” may not be relaxed enough for a Sat night, Les Climats unfortunately out of budget, and cancelled Clown Bar reservation because veal brain isn’t my groups thing).

Seriously I looked at so many restaurants I would like to visit, but cannot on such a short trip: Les 101, Les Climats, Saturne, Papillon, Mr T, Peit Sommelier, Au Passage, Verjus, etc. I am not sure I can even hit all the wine shops I listed below. Anyone know if Semilla/Clover Green or another restaurant in St. Germaine is open to bringing a bottle from a local wine shop to lunch? Makes it so much easier to buy something from a local wineshop to consume immediately.

Revised below and open to suggestions, thank you!

Thu May 23: Red Eye

Lunch: 1PM L’Aperget (vege tasting) 1:00PM
Light Dinner: TBD (low key Falafel or Juveniles Wine Bar or Ambassade de Bourgogne)

Fri May 24: St. Germaine / Marais

St. Germaine
Wine stores Wine Store: La Dernière Goutte (10am-8pm, sun 10am-7pm)
Wine Store/Bar: Ambassade de Bourgogne (10am-12am, sun 12pm-12am)
Lunch: 12:30PM @ Semilla or Clover Green [would be cool if they had a cork fee to bring something from Abasassade]

Marais
Snack option Les Enfants du Marche
Dinner: 9PM @ Vantre

Sat May 25: Picnic

Lunch: Picnic in Tuilleries Gardens (buy a bottle from Legrand Filles et Fils or Lavinia)
Dinner: 7PM @ La Cougille
After Dinner: Aspirationally to Juveniles, Willis or Ambassade de Bourgogne

Sun May 26: Open

Dinner: 9:00PM @ Le Comptoir du Relais (no reservations, a la carte menu)

It’s actually on Saturday that you should visit La Dernière Goutte as that’s when they have free casual wine tasting with visiting winemakers. You just might end up chatting with someone like Jean Gonon or André Ostertag while tasting their wines.

Check out Paris by Mouth for Sunday restaurants. I drug Mike Grammer out to one of them and it was great.

Wine Store: La Dernière Goutte (10am-8pm, sun 10am-7pm)
It’s a good address. Good selection of wine like henry germain (but i am now allocataire), ogier, …

Lavinia :

Sorry to say that but only chinese tourist go now to Lavinia ( boulevard de la madelaine paris 8th)
Prices are horrible ( double than every winemerchant in Paris).
And oh bizarre, half salers are chinese…

Caves Legrand is charming, “galerie vivienne” is charming too and it’s near palais
royal’s garden / no so far of le louvres.

Another restaurant that i like it : l’ardoise, 28 rue du mont thabor ( street between faubourg saint honoré and boulevard de rivoly and jardin des tuileries) But i heard that owner has changed

My last two meals at L’Arpege were horrible. The wine service was terrible.

Based on your posts you seem to value a good wine deal over great food? I could be wrong. Why don’t you do a lunch at Tour d’Argent? If it is very reasonable for lunch and you can get great wine within budget.

For Sunday I would suggest Le Rigmorale (reservations needed far in advance), Clamato or Clown Bar.