Lodging in Carmel

My wife and I are planning a little road trip down the coast of California to celebrate her birthday in May. We are spending two nights in Carmel on our trip. I was looking at either the Getaway or the Hideaway bed and breakfasts. Both of these properties are owned by Plumpjack. I believe both were recently renovated, with the getaway being the more recent renovation.

I just want to see if anyone had any experience with either of these properties, or can recommend any other similarly priced Lodging options

Evan,
We stayed at the Sandpiper Inn (B & B) two years ago. It’s one block from the water. We throughly enjoyed our stay. Brings back great memories!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Looks like Sandpiper is sold out the week I’ll be there. Thanks for playing though

Cobblestone Inn near Carmel Plaza.

Evan, just based on location, I would pick the Hideaway, between those two. Getaway is located right on the corner of the main entrance to town on Ocean and Juniper, so all traffic in and out goes right past there. Hideaway is a couple blocks off, so just enough to make it a little less busy. Caveat I haven’t stayed at either, but have walked around the area many times. We always stay in Pacific Grove, which is more “quaint” and a little less touristy, then just drive down to Carmel for the afternoon when we want to. If you’re set on Carmel (nothing wrong with that), a couple others we have looked are Monte Verde (might be a bit quieter, out of the very center), and Wayside. Bicylette is a fun place for lunch.

See if you can get into Mission Ranch.

If you can’t, go by for dinner and sit outside

And maybe Clint will drop by to tickle the ivories.

Cobblestone is the Hideaway. Changed name after renovations. I ended up booking at The Getaway but now realizing they do not have A/C. We will be there end of May, and are from Florida, so we need our a/c. Looking in to Monte verde and the ranch listed above

You shouldn’t need AC in Carmel, particularly in May. It’s likely to still be on the cooler side, but it rarely, rarely gets hot enough to be uncomfortable. More likely to have “June gloom” where you have morning overcast lasting until noon or late morning, then cool sea breeze. Coastal California never gets humid like FL, you have to go inland at least a few miles to get any significant heat most of the time.

Fair enough. Amazing the things you learn when you travel lol

I’ll discuss with wife to see if that bothers her. If not, I’ll probably stick with one of the Plumpjack properties

Evan, it’s understandable if you haven’t spent a lot of time around California. it’s not like Florida, there are serious micro-climates. Much of northern coastal will be quite cool, even in the summer. That can change temporarily when there is a high pressure offshore flow weather event (i.e., winds blow from inland out to sea, instead of the prevailing on-shore breeze), but that’s unusual and might only happen a few times in the summer, for a few days. That’s why you see so many sweatshirt stand in San Francisco during the summer, for the tourists who just assume “it’s California” and it will be warm everywhere.

Average temps in Carmel for May are 64 hi, 48 lo (it’s only 66 high in June). When it’s sunny out and no breeze, it will feel warmish, but you’re unlikely to every be truly hot, and there won’t be any excessive humidity. Ocean is COLD, so there is almost always a cooling breeze coming in from the west. Evenings will definitely cool off, and can even be downright cold.

Having said that, if you go inland just a mile or two, it will be sunny and warmer, and a few more miles it can get pretty hot - but not humid.

1 Like

Wow. Thanks!! Ya, if the highs are in the 60’s, AC shouldn’t be an issue. We’ll just crack a window.

FWIW, we’ll be in Carmel from May 22-24. Road trip = 2 nights SF, 2 in Napa, 2 Carmel, 1 Santa Barbara and 2 LA

Thanks again

[cheers.gif] Don’t hesitate to ask for other advice, driving routes, eateries, etc.

We were thinking Dametra cafe and Cultura comida for dinners on the casual side as we’ll be coming from SF/Napa and plan on exploring a some Big Sur while based in Carmel. Both of our first times in California

1 Like

Evan, if you get down to Big Sur, check out Nepenthe, Deetjens, Post Ranch or Ventana for dinner.

While I have you here, any recommendations on where to stay in San Francisco? Or neighborhoods to stay in? I was looking at the Stanford Court in Nob Hill. It is amazing to me how expensive hotels are in San Francisco

We have friends who just stayed at La Playa in Carmel and loved it. I think the rates include breakfast and a shuttle.

I would encourage you to try both, since I haven’t been to either and would love a report :wink: Cultura is on our list to try. Both look interesting, I think they are good choices.

You already have a rec for Nepenthe, which I will second and third. It is a very casual, almost earthy place, perched up on the Big Sur bluffs. Burgers, salads, that kind of food. A lunch spot, partly because of the food, partly because you’re better not driving along Hwy 1 at night. Expect there to be a crowd, but you just put your name in and wait, enjoy the scenery, grab a beer at the bar if you want. A unique spot, even for California.

Yes, SF is expensive. Haven’t stayed at Stanford Court, but it’s a decent location, right next to several high end hotels. Be aware that the location is at the top of a hill (probably higher than anything in Florida, lol), so if you’re walking around town, you’ll be climbing that hill to get back to your hotel. But it’s a good area to be in.