NY recommendations

My 2 girls want to go to NY for a little food adventure in August and check out some nearby schools. They created an itinerary (see attached) and I’m hoping you could help with some suggestions. Also any attractions depending on where we are that day that might be off the beaten path. We will be mostly walking within an area for a given day so please keep that in mind. TIA
NYC Food Tour.pdf (119 KB)

Dinner B - Cagen

Dinner C - Marea

Dinner D - The Modern or Modern Bar

+2 on Marea. Lovely place, excellent food, friendly (professional) service, great neighborhood for a walk after dinner.

A NY food adventure to me would necessarily include first rate Asian cooking, which you seem to have down, first rate Italian (and someone more familiar than me should make some recommendations of what is good now) and the Jewish deli/smoked fish pilgrimage to the East side – the 2 blocks housing Russ & Daughters and Katz’. The word “unique” is wildly over-used but fits perfectly there. Nowhere else on the planet.

EDIT: I should have looked at the attachment! I see you have Katz down already. Seriously though, make the block walk down to Russ & Daughters.

Thanks gentlemen I’ll pass these off to the kids. Ultimately it’s their decision, I’m just the credit card carrier [cry.gif]

Tim Ho Wan was disappointing. Not worth waiting in line there. They should walk a couple of blocks to Veselka on 2nd ave and East 9th street. Now that’s old fashion eastern European Jewish/Polish/Hungarian comfort food. https://www.veselka.com/
They can thank me later.

Xi’an (multiple locations) is good and cheap.

A few thoughts:

At Dominique Ansel forget the cronuts and try the pavlova.
At Lady M be sure to try the chestnut cake.
If in the mood for ramen when downtown I love the Hokkaido style Char Siu ramen at Misoya
When at Katz’s do not ask for lean pastrami.

I have to admire there planning!

ChikaLicious is a must for dessert.

I would suggest adding High Collar, Davelle, or Okonomi for Breakfast

Lunch - Momofuku Ssam Bar, The Modern Bar room could be great after the MoMa

Pizza - Una Pizza Napoletana or if willing to go to Brooklyn for Lunch Robertas

For dinner Atoboy (close enough to Midtown), Contra, Momofuku Ko Bar, Bohemian (“secret” Japanese restaurant in Basquiat’s former studio it always impresses)

Tell me more about what they are looking for dinner I can provide additional suggestions.

On Day A you are at The Met which is Upper East Side… silly route to go to Baz, up to the Met and back to Katz’s. There is a Russ and Daughters in The Jewish Museum not far from The Met (though in truth… going to the shop on Houston and eating on a bench is best… but the cafe’s are good)
On Day C when at Columbia you can get NYC’s best bagels at Absolute Bagel at Broadway and 108th. Snacks/dessert that day can be at Breads Bakery which is opposite Lincoln Center on Broadway. The Miznon slated for the Upper West Side on 72nd should be open by then too.

I passed along the recommendations to the girls and one response was, “Thanks Dad, but don’t bother us this week. Duh it’s mid-terms” [scratch.gif]
As for dinner I think they are looking for things that might be unique to NY that they can’t eat in the Bay Area. They are both foodies even at their young age (bone marrow, caviar, foie gras…), but fine dining this trip will be limited to only one as neither want to dress up given the typical weather that time of year. So basically casual enough that we could go in shorts and not feel embarrassed about our attire. Hope that helps.