What to do around the Mauna Kea Hotel

I’m taking my 6yo daughter on a “father/daughter trip”. We are staying at the Mauna Kea Hotel in early April. I’ve never been to the big island before and would love some suggestions. My daughter is a good sport, so not everything has to be super kid friendly.

Thank you,

Ryan

We were able to walk out to see the lava flows, a couple years ago but dunno if you can anymore. Perhaps by boat or helicopter is still possible?

I have no experience there, but the father/kid trip is a great idea. I took my daughters individually on a number of trips including NYC, Amsterdam, and Italy, and a couple of years ago I took both of them to Japan. My wife has done some similar things. We like traveling as a family but going with a smaller number is very fun, flexible and memorable.

If she can handle it, helicopter ride over the volcano. Pricey but worth every penny - I saw rivers of lava when I did it.

The Botanic Gardens outside Hilo are amazing, like Jurassic Park gardens, but quite the drive from the Mauna Kea

[highfive.gif] stay at the hotel and beach

The thing to remember about the Big Island is that it is really BIG. So driving between the various parts can’t take quite awhile which may be touch with a younger child.

The volcana flow has really slowed down over the past year, so there’s is little or no lava flowing.
The beach at Mauna Kea itself is very nice and kid friendly. If you want to snorkel there, go way around to the left/south edge of the bay along the rocks. The beach at Hapuna is nice, as is the A’a beach at Marriott. Down just south of Akon’s, a two Kahalu’u Beach is some really easy snorkeling with a lot of sea life inc. turtles. Lots of times there are turtles on the shore at Punalu’u and the sand is black, but that’s way down there.

There is a little seahorse “farm” in Kona. Also a typically corporate dolphin experience at the Hilton Waikoloa.

The waterfalls at Akaka aren’t too far from Mauna Kea, and could be combo’d with the botanical garden which is nice.

Luaus are kinda cheesey, and expensive but might be up a kid’s alley with the entertainment, other families etc… Mauna Kea has a good one, so does the Marriott.

Eats around there: Manta is upscale. Merriman’s Waimea. Tex’s for a malasada stop on a roadie east. Lava Lava at A’a Bay is moderate, cool beach vibe, great sunset, and often some music

The beach at MK is the best among the hotels on Kona. Buy a boogie board at Costco and enjoy.

If you find yourself near the Waipio Valley, worth a stop. If you have a four wheel drive and a steel constitution, a drive into the valley is awesome.

Finish the trip with a nice shave ice

49 Black Sand beach is excellent for snorkeling. It’s a protected little cove and almost private. The hotel can direct you.

My kids loved Volcano National Park although it is a bit of a drive. We took a side trip to check out petroglyphs and to walk on the lava flows.

We also took them to a coffee plantation in Kona, no surprise they hated every minute.

Thank you for all the information. I really appreciate it. The helicopter might be worth it if we can see the lava flows. I’ll have to inquire when we get there. Planning on teaching my daughter to snorkel on this trip, so those recs are great. Thank you!!

I really enjoyed these types of trips with my parents. We had a boy 2 years ago which took a lot of the attention off of my daughter. Things are more balanced now, but I want to do something special with here. I had grand plans to go to India originally, but settled from a relaxing trip to hawaii after several discussions with me wife :slight_smile:

Manta Ray snorkel is a do not miss