Private Burgundy Wine Tour

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Post Reply
Message
Author
Don C
Posts: 3
Joined: December 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm

Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#1 Post by Don C » February 12th, 2019, 3:31 pm

I am looking for a private Burgundy tour guide that may have connections to get into some better wineries. Any recommendations?

Jonathan Kalman
Posts: 342
Joined: June 16th, 2009, 7:17 am
Location: Jerusalem

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#2 Post by Jonathan Kalman » February 12th, 2019, 11:19 pm

Bill Nanson

User avatar
Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 553
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 3:19 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#3 Post by Dave English » February 14th, 2019, 2:17 am

Define 'better'.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11296
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#4 Post by alan weinberg » February 14th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Diane Gambal. Alex Gambal’s wife. thehiddenfrance.com

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6772
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#5 Post by Mark Y » February 14th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Dave English wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:17 am
Define 'better'.
Let’s say Rousseau. Leroy. Drc. Coche.

Are there any tour guides who can get u in those?
Y.e.

User avatar
Dave English
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 553
Joined: July 3rd, 2012, 3:19 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#6 Post by Dave English » February 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Mark Y wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Dave English wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:17 am
Define 'better'.
Let’s say Rousseau. Leroy. Drc. Coche.

Are there any tour guides who can get u in those?
Yep, Contiki do tours most weeks, but you have to be 18-35. I think they call it the Smashed on La Tache Tour.

User avatar
wbeshears
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 9
Joined: January 29th, 2018, 9:02 am
Location: New York, NY

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#7 Post by wbeshears » February 21st, 2019, 8:45 am

I visited Burgundy two years ago and did some amount of research into who to get as a guide. Based on wine forums and on the recommendation of a friend who is kind of a Burgundy collector, Bill Nanson was my first choice, but I planned everything two weeks out and he was booked so I ended up with a fine guide but one that likely isn't suited for your purpose. If (really, when) I go again I'm going to try to get Bill booked well ahead of time. Interested to see the recommendations of others as well.

Slightly off topic...you may already have accommodations (assuming you're travelling there), but in case not I couldn't have been happier with Hostellerie de Levernois about 10 minutes south of Beaune. Stellar place.
-W.i.l.l B.e.s.h.e.a.r.s-
NY, NY

User avatar
Marcus Dean
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1027
Joined: May 31st, 2017, 4:45 pm
Location: Auckland Noo ZEEEEland

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#8 Post by Marcus Dean » February 22nd, 2019, 11:27 am

Dave English wrote:
February 15th, 2019, 1:45 pm
Mark Y wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Dave English wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 2:17 am
Define 'better'.
Let’s say Rousseau. Leroy. Drc. Coche.

Are there any tour guides who can get u in those?
Yep, Contiki do tours most weeks, but you have to be 18-35. I think they call it the Smashed on La Tache Tour.
Yup, you get to bungy jump head first into a vat of Grand Cru, LOL

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15779
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#9 Post by Howard Cooper » February 25th, 2019, 2:41 pm

wbeshears wrote:
February 21st, 2019, 8:45 am
I visited Burgundy two years ago and did some amount of research into who to get as a guide. Based on wine forums and on the recommendation of a friend who is kind of a Burgundy collector, Bill Nanson was my first choice, but I planned everything two weeks out and he was booked so I ended up with a fine guide but one that likely isn't suited for your purpose. If (really, when) I go again I'm going to try to get Bill booked well ahead of time. Interested to see the recommendations of others as well.

Slightly off topic...you may already have accommodations (assuming you're travelling there), but in case not I couldn't have been happier with Hostellerie de Levernois about 10 minutes south of Beaune. Stellar place.
Does he really get people into DRC and Coche? Interesting.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Rob Igel
Posts: 3
Joined: January 8th, 2019, 11:45 am
Location: Pismo Beach, CA

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#10 Post by Rob Igel » May 22nd, 2019, 5:01 pm

I'd like to resurrect this conversation if I could. My wife and visited Burgundy last year and hired Bourgogne Gold Tours for a day tour of the Cote de Nuit. We're considering going back next year and, similar to Don C, I'm curious to know if there are other local experts who give day tours or multi-day tours and have connections to get into the upper tier domaines in Cote de Nuit and Cote de Beaune. I've bookmarked Bill Nanson's page, but, unfortunately thehiddenfrance.com doesn't seem to be working. If there are any others that you have hired in the past or have heard good things about, I'm all ears (and eyes) to consider them!

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 179
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 10:23 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Private Burgundy Wine Tour

#11 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » May 22nd, 2019, 8:27 pm

My dad and I did this and loved it: https://sensation-vin.com/en/wine-tasting-classes. It was unique but I can't imagine a better way to experience the Cote de Nuits. Much better than simply tasting in a cellar or tasting room. The wines poured were from reputable producers and they bring proper stemware. Highly recommended.

From their website:

Every day (except Saturday), we will take you from 9.30am to 1pm or from 2pm to 5.30pm for 3 ½ hours of itinerant tasting into the heart of the vineyards. Travelling in our Wrangler Jeep, you will experience the wines of Burgundy in prestigious surroundings. Five tasting stops in the heart of the great burgundian appellations await you in Corton, Nuits Saint Georges, Vosne Romanée, Chambolle Musigny and Gevrey Chambertin. We will take the time to leave the Côte and go into the Hautes Côtes, where the vines are pruned and trellissed higher. As we drive through the different tracks, with the finest panoramic views over the vineyards, we will talk about oenology, the vegetative cycle, and the work in the vines; we will observe the implantation of the vines and the appellations in situ.

Between Corton and Chambertin you will taste 10 red wines, 5 1er cru wines and 5 grand cru wines.

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”