Winery tour in Bordeaux

Planning a 2-3 day tour in Bordeaux in early April with my wife.
Are there any good winery tour programs that you recommend? I did one in Burgundy about 5 years ago and I think I got ripped off–the tour guide took us to 3rd tier domaines.

Ok - I just lost my last response to your question, which is good, because it was a bit of tome as I cannot say enough GREAT things about Dewey Markham http://dmjwineworks.com/biography.php. We spent two days with him in 2017 (one in the right bank and one in the left) and are going back this year to visit the Cotes du Bordeaux and Pessac-Léognan.

Dewey wrote what I believe is the only book dedicated to the 1855 classification which won the James Beard book award, and is an absolute delight to spend the day with. In writing the book, Dewey seems to have met and come to know EVERYONE in Bordeaux and as result of Dewey we were the only people permitted to visit Rauzan-Segla in 2017 as they were not open for guests that year.

Dewey will spend the time up front crafting a visit that is tailored to you and for us, what worked best on both days was Chateau visit, lunch at a local place where you will site at “Dewey’s Table” (you buy him lunch) and then two Chateau after lunch. Oh yeah, you rent the car and Dewey will drive. In true Dewey fashion, we set the schedule for this year, and when the owners of the first Chateau knew Dewey was coming they asked us to stay for lunch - what a treat! Also, when you visit the Chateau, you get to meet the primary folks involved in the wine making. Here is a picture of us with Emeline Borie who actually led our visit at Grand-Puy-Lacoste and is now the President of the Pauillac AOC.

That sounds like a great recommendation, John. We should get together for some more La Conseillante soon!

Hi Paul. Be careful with appointments in Bordeaux in early April. The futures ‘Primeurs’ tastings are taking place April 1st-5th. So many of the top Chateaux are closed for general visits, as they are focusing on receiving professional buyers and journalists to review the 2018 barrel samples.
However there is a ‘Portes Ouvertes’ in the Medoc over the weekend of 6th and 7th April. These weekends are organised at various times throughout the Bordeaux appelations. They are a fun way to visit plenty of different Chateaux without having formal timings and appointments.
Enjoy your time in Bordeaux. Cheers Hamish.

It often amazes me how few people use the search feature here:

Paul, I tried to PM you last night but the message is still stuck in my Outbox. I just sent a PM to Todd to see if he can figure it out. That may have been a futile exercise though since the Outbox is where your message is stuck.

My bad. Didn’t know how the PM system worked. My brain was stuck in Outlook mode.

Craig - are you back in town? Would love to do that - been building the library champagne.gif [cheers.gif]