Texas BBQ Spring Break

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
TimF

Texas BBQ Spring Break

#1 Post by TimF » January 7th, 2019, 3:11 pm

It took a while to settle on a spring break destination this year. I’ve got a 13 year old daughter and 14 year old son. London concerned me with that being the week of Brexit and a trip to Cuba with the kids seemed too complicated. So we’re going to spend a week in Texas. I’ve barely ever been. But I do love BBQ. The initial plan is to hit Austin and San Antonio. Possibly Houston. What would be your ideal week? We’ll want to hit major attractions in addition to BBQ places.
Tim F@itsch

Scott Fitzgerald
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Texas BBQ Spring Break

#2 Post by Scott Fitzgerald » January 7th, 2019, 3:17 pm

March can be hit or miss with the weather. Usually more hits though, but waterparks are still too cold (Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels is a blast when it’s warm).

I like Austin and San Antonio. Riverwalk and Alamo in SA are worth exploring. While I went to school in Austin, I’ll leave it to others to weigh in. If you make it to Houston, great museum district and side trip to NASA is worth it.
CT: BigTex22

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael O'Brien » January 7th, 2019, 3:23 pm

TimF, visit the CT board and reach out to oskiwawa and sourdough. They both live in Austin and I believe sourdough has also lived in San Antonio and Houston. Those two would know just about anything you would want to know.
PlanoWino

mseeber

#4 Post by mseeber » January 7th, 2019, 6:47 pm

We just spent Christmas - New Years at The Woodlands Resort and had a great time. We went into Houston one day and ate at The Pit Room and it was a great BBQ experience. Rendered Brisket fat in the tortillas was worth the eventual angioplasty. Lots of good restaurant choices in the area, although largely standard wine lists with normal markups. Museum district has a ton of options depending on interests.
M a r k S e e b e r
CT=mseeber

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by RyanC » January 7th, 2019, 7:36 pm

I'm biased, but I would not miss Houston. It's the most exciting city in Texas right now and one of the most vibrant in the US. Here's what I'd do:

Austin - 2 days. BBQ and La Barbecue and Louie Mueller (about 30 mins away in Taylor). Also consider Mickelthwait Meats (no lines). Skip Franklin's lines unless you want to burn an entire morning. Other than BBQ, see some live music, visit the capital building, and take advantage of the lakes. If you're passionate about BBQ, make it out to Snow's on a Saturday (perhaps the best in the state).

Houston - 3 days. BBQ is weaker than Austin but still strong. I would do Killen's (a bit out of town but worth it) and perhaps one or more of Gatlin's, Pinkerton's, or Pit Room. But Houston has excellent food across the spectrum, from the high end (BCN, Tony's, Da Marco), to some of the best Mexican (Hugo's and Xochi), interesting/progressive/contemporary (Theodore Rex, Nancy's Hustle), farm to table (Coltivare), Indian (Himalaya), Tex Mex (Ninfa's, El Tiempo, Pico's), steak (Pappas Bros., Killen's), Vietnamese (many), Sichuan (Mala Sichuan and others), and other ethnic food in the US. a'Bouzy has one of the best (and best priced) Champagne lists in the USA. For sights, I'd hit the excellent museums (Menil and MFA are particularly good) and NASA is worth the modest drive.

San Antonio - Not an expert here, but there is some good BBQ and history.

I would frankly probably choose Fort Worth (and Dallas) over San Antonio. I'd also consider non-urban places, like the Texas Hill Country, or a night at the Inn at Dos Brisas (about 90 mins from Houston and very lovely).
C@ughey

TimF

#6 Post by TimF » January 7th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. Keep it coming if others want to chime in.
Tim F@itsch

Bill Tex Landreth

#7 Post by Bill Tex Landreth » January 9th, 2019, 7:10 pm

If you make it to Dallas, hit me up and I can fire a brisket and some short ribs.

No corkage at mi casa.

And, I have a 12 and 15 year old son and daughter to entertain the yoots.
It's not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would be doing it if it were easy.

Dav1d S@wyer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Dav1d S@wyer » January 10th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Ryan's recs are great above. Houston has one of the best food scenes in America due to our diversity - Latin American, Asian, TexMex, Cajun, African, Middle Eastern. We have many great spots for all of them.

I've lived in Austin too and think the food scene is overrated/inauthentic. Drive out to Lockhart (20mi away) for the real Texas BBQ joints that put the area on the map. Austin is a lot of fun and there's plenty to do though.

San Antonio has the Pearl Brewery area but isn't worth a special trip on your first Texas visit. If you're coming in March, the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo is the biggest in the world I believe. It's our city'a month long party each year and the music is great. This year we have an incredible line up (it's not just country music) - https://www.rodeohouston.com/Visit-the- ... ert-Lineup.

Feel free to PM me for more specific recs.

John Webber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by John Webber » January 16th, 2019, 1:21 pm

The Hill Country (Fredericksburg, San Antonio, Bandera, Austin) and Big Bend (Marfa, Davis Observatory, the National Park, etc.) would be fantastic. A dude ranch in Bandera would be really cool for that age. Big Bend and West TX is as TX as it gets. Lots of cool eats all around these places.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Eric Ifune » January 16th, 2019, 4:36 pm

Lockhart, outside Austin is one of the centers of Texas BBQ. Kreuz and Smittys are there.

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by M. Dildine » January 16th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Damn I miss Texas!
Cheers,

Mike

Return to “Travel Forum”