Japan in June? Too hot/wet?

I’m pondering a couple of weeks in Japan this June. First visit, and I’m not sure what to hit, so suggestions would be appreciated (I haven’t scoured past threads just yet). But my initial question is whether with June being the start of rainy season it’s a bad time to visit, and I should reconsider. Any thoughts?

Al

We went in mid-June 2017 and had good weather. There were a couple of partly rainy days but we also had some very nice days. It’s hot but not like the middle of summer.

We did the last two weeks in June. Couple of years ago and it was HOT, particularly in Kyoto. The answer is to bring a hat, keep hydrated and pace yourself. Well worth it

Tokyo and Kyoto are musts. Day trip from each are great alternatives as well

We did Japan this last July. We lugged around a 14 month old and did just fine.

I wish we would have spent a night or two in Osaka. We did Tokyo-Takayama-Kyoto-Hiroshima-Tokyo. In Hiroshima we did a day trip to Miyajima. All told, we were in country 16 days.

It has been too long ago that I was in Japan to really know how it is today, but if everything there changed at the same pace, most of Honshu has a big city feel, where Kyushu and Hokkaido have the quaint locations and traditional experiences. I’ll say less geared to tourists as another descriptor. Went to Beppu’s Monkey Mountain, (Kyushu), to feed the mountain monkeys and found they were excellent thieves with short tempers and I didn’t need pockets on my pants anyway. It seemed like we drove hours in tree filled mountainous terrain with little villages along the way. Every where we stopped along the way was like a highly maintained park and only the tourists to degrade it. Nagasaki and Sasebo were beautiful but getting large city like. Sapporo Beer and Skiing on Hokkaido if you go in the winter. In three years, I don’t remember hot weather beyond certain parts of the country having high humidity and the East side of Honshu was the worst for humidity. One of the things I really miss is the old fashioned Ginza. It was usually a block or more long and had a ton of small and medium sized shops. If you entered one end, you could exit the other end with everything but a car, plus have lunch and dinner. The other thing I miss is the people. I was treated much better than I should have been back then.

Thanks for all the good thoughts. Much appreciated.