Osaka / Hiroshima

This might be a long shot, but I wonder if anyone has food/wine recommendations for either of Osaka / Hiroshima. Will be passing through in the next week or so and have done a bunch of research, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to ask

Thanks in advance [cheers.gif]

Osaka is the most food obsessed city I have ever encountered in any country, anywhere. It’s almost impossible not to eat well. What kind of food are you interested in?

It’s not impossible. We managed it.

Though your recommendation of the food market helped a lot.

My main Osaka rec is don’t trust Google Maps with intersections. On a number of occasions we had to backtrack one to three blocks when Google sent us to an intersection which did not allow pedestrian traffic.

Don’t have any hard requirements

Looking for a place to go for dinner; something with more of a unique local flavor would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Will have to keep that in mind. Which food market are you referring to?

__

Okay, that helps a lot. There is a tiny yakiniku (grilled beef) place called Tsugie that we love. Yakiniku is everywhere in Osaka, as are these little “standing restaurants” - that’s right, no seats (a very Japanese thing) - but what makes this place different is that it specializes in off-cuts and offal. Sure, they still have the classic cuts as well, which are great, but what they call the “horumonyaki” (heart, tongue, stomach etc.) are fantastic. They only take reservations day of, starting at 3 PM. Not only is the food terrific, it’s not expensive, and you really feel you’re eating like a local foodie would. Google maps took us there with no problems, even though it’s tucked in a back alley. Do the smart thing and look at a picture of the place so you’ll know it when you see it, if you don’t read Japanese.

The market Jay is referring to is Kuromon. It gets crazy crowded by noon, so go early. There are lots of stalls that will grill crab legs, scallops, skewers right there for you, or give you uni out of the shell. Yes, it’s touristy, but it’s fun and the seafood is very, very fresh.

Many thanks for the recs!