Woman alone in Rabat.

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

Woman alone in Rabat.

#1 Post by Paul McCourt » December 17th, 2018, 8:47 pm

The wife will be in Morocco for 4 days on her own in May. Other than the obvious, are there any special concerns she should have? (Travelling alone is one area where being a man makes life so much easier).
PauLeeeenda 2020

Ian Sutton

Re: Woman alone in Rabat.

#2 Post by Ian Sutton » December 18th, 2018, 10:00 am

Hi Paul
No specific advice, but this current news story is sadly relevant.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-46597369

Certainly worth taking advice from your foreign office, who should be able to give very useful advice, especially on whether this is merely a one-off incident that could happen anywhere in the world, or something that represents a bigger risk that needs to be planned around. Often it is the location specific advice that is most useful.

Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Paul McCourt » December 18th, 2018, 3:23 pm

Thanks, Ian.

State has normal warnings, nothing elevated.

How sad for the families. First read that looks like that could happen anywhere, sadly enough.

But thanks for posting that since my daughter is spending next semester there! [wow.gif]
PauLeeeenda 2020

dbailey

#4 Post by dbailey » December 20th, 2018, 6:38 am

They are sayng it was a terrorist incident now.
Dan

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Paul McCourt » December 20th, 2018, 2:17 pm

I saw that. Unfortunate and heartbreaking.
PauLeeeenda 2020

ryancurry
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#6 Post by ryancurry » December 20th, 2018, 2:57 pm

I would cover the head. Not go out at night.

I've had many wonderful experiences in Morocco and only one scary one. I wouldn't be super comfortable with my wife traveling alone there, but with basic safety measures, she should be fine.
itb

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Paul McCourt » December 20th, 2018, 3:12 pm

I may rearrange my schedule and join her until she meets up with my daughter and they leave for Marrakech together. That way neither of us has to worry.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#8 Post by Nola Palomar » December 21st, 2018, 10:27 am

I'm sorry Paul there is no way in Hell I would go to any Muslim country by myself. I just feel life is too short to invite people in my circle who don't value life the way I do and since that is a value you either have or don't, it is just not worth it.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
Bodega Dominio Buenavista
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

Ramon C

#9 Post by Ramon C » December 21st, 2018, 10:37 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 10:27 am
I'm sorry Paul there is no way in Hell I would go to any Muslim country by myself. I just feel life is too short to invite people in my circle who don't value life the way I do and since that is a value you either have or don't, it is just not worth it.
Not a fair statement and narrow-minded. There are Muslim countries or countries where Islam is widely practiced that don't fit the statements.
@brera

Rajesh P a r i k h

#10 Post by Rajesh P a r i k h » December 21st, 2018, 12:24 pm

Ramon C wrote:
December 21st, 2018, 10:37 am
Nola Palomar wrote:
Not a fair statement and narrow-minded. There are Muslim countries or countries where Islam is widely practiced that don't fit the statements.
Well said Ramon.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Paul McCourt » December 21st, 2018, 5:36 pm

Nola Palomar wrote:
I can't agree with that, at all.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#12 Post by Nola Palomar » December 21st, 2018, 7:28 pm

I couldn't do it. Call it narrow minded and not fair, but I just don't feel safe. As a solo white American woman? Having said that, I do recognize that fear is the overwhelming factor. There are places in my own State and City that I don't travel to either and it doesn't have anything to do with religion. It has to do with vulnerability. Perhaps my perceptions are indeed tainted, but I just don't feel safe.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Juan Manuel Palomar MD - 1948-2018 Husband, Father, Surgeon, Mentor, Winery owner & Winemaker, my everything...RIP

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#13 Post by Todd Hamina » December 21st, 2018, 7:46 pm

If your gut says don't go, don't go. Pretty simple.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Eric Ifune » December 22nd, 2018, 10:06 am

I'm with Nola and Todd on this. In general, the population in general may be fine, but all it takes is one or a few people to cause problems. There are yahoos all over the world and cultural differences are significant. How about a single woman hitchhiking across the States? Riding the train in rural India? Some things incur more risk. And I have lived in rural Turkey.

Scott G r u n e r

#15 Post by Scott G r u n e r » December 22nd, 2018, 10:21 am

The more we entrench ouselves from others, the greater our differences become
//Cynic

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#16 Post by Nola Palomar » December 22nd, 2018, 11:03 am

I am not advocating entrenching myself from others. I am saying that I, as a white US female, blond hair and blue eyes, would stand out more and I believe there is a higher level of risk for me. I feel I am naturally more vulnerable than the general population on this forum. It's like a common sense thing to me. I don't invite obvious risks into my life any more than I have to. I have friends that do, I applaud them, but I still have no interest in going somewhere I feel I could be targeted. Would I have taken a trip there with Juan, you bet, but not alone.
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Paul McCourt » December 22nd, 2018, 12:10 pm

Let's take a step back here for a minute, and try and remember what I asked:

I didn't ask about women travelling anywhere and everywhere alone. I asked about any special considerations in Rabat. Nowhere else. And I already couched that in language about using the standard precautions that one would expect a solo woman to use in such circumstances and in such a place.

This means that I was looking for advice from people who had been to Rabat and could give insight to Rabat specifically.

I certainly do appreciate the general feedback, and it is food for thought, but we seem to be adrift of the specifics of the question and have wandered off to a "woman alone" conversation. Which is perfectly fine, and is an interesting topic, but not what I was asking.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Todd Hamina
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#18 Post by Todd Hamina » December 22nd, 2018, 1:17 pm

True, but you asked on Berserkers. So there's that. Happy Holidays and safe travels.
Co-Owner, Biggio Hamina Cellars
-BiggioHamina

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Paul McCourt » December 22nd, 2018, 4:00 pm

Todd Hamina wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 1:17 pm
True, but you asked on Berserkers. So there's that. Happy Holidays and safe travels.
Happy Holidays!

We are off to Paris and Amsterdam where I am certain it is not safe for my waistline to travel alone.
PauLeeeenda 2020

Nola Palomar
BerserkerDay MVP
BerserkerDay MVP

#20 Post by Nola Palomar » December 22nd, 2018, 5:00 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 4:00 pm
Todd Hamina wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 1:17 pm
Happy Holidays!

We are off to Paris and Amsterdam where I am certain it is not safe for my waistline to travel alone.
Have a wonderful Holiday and trip!!!
Nola
ITB

Veleta
D.O.P. Granada, Spain

Ian Sutton

#21 Post by Ian Sutton » December 23rd, 2018, 5:47 am

Nola Palomar wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 11:03 am
I am not advocating entrenching myself from others. I am saying that I, as a white US female, blond hair and blue eyes, would stand out more and I believe there is a higher level of risk for me. I feel I am naturally more vulnerable than the general population on this forum. It's like a common sense thing to me. I don't invite obvious risks into my life any more than I have to. I have friends that do, I applaud them, but I still have no interest in going somewhere I feel I could be targeted. Would I have taken a trip there with Juan, you bet, but not alone.
Each person has to make their own judgement call. Even if the consular advice is positive, if you would be constantly worried, then it would make no sense to go. A holiday needs as little stress as possible. Someone else might see the advice and judge it fine, never giving it a second thought once there - for them it would not be stressful, and hence a valid destination.
Normal for Norfolk

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jim Stewart » December 23rd, 2018, 6:01 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
December 23rd, 2018, 5:47 am
Nola Palomar wrote:
December 22nd, 2018, 11:03 am
Each person has to make their own judgement call. Even if the consular advice is positive, if you would be constantly worried, then it would make no sense to go. A holiday needs as little stress as possible. Someone else might see the advice and judge it fine, never giving it a second thought once there - for them it would not be stressful, and hence a valid destination.
straightforward advice and wisdom . . .

Barry L i p t o n

#23 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 23rd, 2018, 10:27 am

We went to Morrocco a couple of months ago - not Rabat, but Fes and Casablanca.

My wife suggested being with a guide when she goes out and use a driver to go to dinner, and she'll be fine. Even as a couple, if you are unaccompanied by a guide, you will be approached very frequently, we advise getting a guide just to keep the other wannabe guides away.

She didn't go out herself on this trip (and I wouldn't be comfortable with her going out alone).

My wife's originally New Yorker and will go out in NYC in the evening herself. Her experience in Istanbul, albeit many years ago (and not Morrocco) is that there are times when she was accosted frequently and that it quickly had sexual overtones. It didn't stop us from continuing to visit the middle east (Egypt, Jordan, Abu Dhabi) but she doesn't go out by herself.

One thing she does that seems to change the attitude of others is wear a head scarf and sometimes cover her face. Changes things pretty dramatically.

Eric Ifune
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Eric Ifune » December 24th, 2018, 10:18 am

Barry L i p t o n

#25 Post by Barry L i p t o n » December 24th, 2018, 2:41 pm

I’m not sure I’d factor that in with any weight. 22 people were killed by a gunman in my home town Thousand Oaks last month. But it’s safe for a single woman, as much as anyplace.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Andrew Kotowski » December 29th, 2018, 7:18 pm

Zero chance I’d let my wife fly solo to anywhere in Morocco.

Here’s as watered down of a review as you can get, but still explicitly commenting on women traveling by themselves -> https://www.nomadicmatt.com/travel-blog ... n-morocco/

We went back and forth on visiting Casablanca and Marrakech, given it was a short flight and I have always wanted to go. We passed, as we have four children and political correctness or not, there are safer places to visit, especially given global views on the current administration.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Mary Deem

#27 Post by Mary Deem » January 1st, 2019, 1:32 pm

People have different experiences, especially women, I think Nola is corrcet that as a white blond haired blue eyed American, she would stick out. I grew up in NYC, and yet I totally get what she is concerned about. Maybe it is because I grew up in NYC, that I am not beholden to poltical correctness, and understand that racism and sexism abound everywhere, albeit in different forms and fashion.

I think each of us has different levels of comfort travelling and they should be respected, If some one for example has been the victim of a violent assualt, that will influence their level of comfort traveling in a different culture, aprticularily one that restrict's women in dress and travel. There is no right or wrong, just as Todd sad, go with the gut ;)

Return to “Travel Forum”