Nashville music/club question

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 250
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Nashville music/club question

#1 Post by jan.brekke » December 17th, 2018, 5:13 pm

Making my first trip to Nashville in May (tagging along with my wife for a medical conference). I found a nice thread discussing restaurants, which is quite helpful. We'll be their over a weekend and would like to see live music one or two nights. The bands playing at the Ryman aren't of particular interest. Any recommendations for favorite live music clubs in Nashville?
thx

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 811
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 9:15 am

Re: Nashville music/club question

#2 Post by adam landa » December 17th, 2018, 7:23 pm

Jan...Not knowing your taste in music, check The Opry, 3rd & Lindsley, City Winery, Bluebird Cafe...there are so many.

I suspect most venues won't have their May schedule. Check The Nashville Scene website too.

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 250
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Nashville music/club question

#3 Post by jan.brekke » December 17th, 2018, 8:11 pm

adam landa wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Jan...Not knowing your taste in music, check The Opry, 3rd & Lindsley, City Winery, Bluebird Cafe...there are so many.

I suspect most venues won't have their May schedule. Check The Nashville Scene website too.
Thanks Adam. I'll look into those venues. I'll be down there with my wife and another couple - we are all around 50. Interested in most good music - just not "top 40 country". Love Jason Isbell and the like.

adam landa
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 811
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 9:15 am

Re: Nashville music/club question

#4 Post by adam landa » December 17th, 2018, 9:15 pm

Station Inn is another.

What part of town will you be and what restaurants on your list?

User avatar
ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1420
Joined: December 19th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Re: Nashville music/club question

#5 Post by ClarkstonMark » December 18th, 2018, 6:13 am

jan.brekke wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 8:11 pm
adam landa wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 7:23 pm
Jan...Not knowing your taste in music, check The Opry, 3rd & Lindsley, City Winery, Bluebird Cafe...there are so many.

I suspect most venues won't have their May schedule. Check The Nashville Scene website too.
Thanks Adam. I'll look into those venues. I'll be down there with my wife and another couple - we are all around 50. Interested in most good music - just not "top 40 country". Love Jason Isbell and the like.
Bluebird Cafe may require a reservation, or you can also stand in line befoe they open (but you will likely not be sitting together if you do this). This is a different experience than the honky tonks.
I like the honky tonks downtown though, but there can be an element of young people getting hammered
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5024
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Nashville music/club question

#6 Post by Jason Hagen » December 18th, 2018, 11:23 am

Bluebird is a classic. I like to go when Mike Henderson is playing. It used to be every other Monday.

Downtown I just got to Robert's. I have heard some mind blowing music there. This is a few years ago but at Robert's and this guy was sick.



Jason

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1374
Joined: February 8th, 2009, 10:50 am
Location: North Shore Mass.

Re: Nashville music/club question

#7 Post by Jud Reis » December 18th, 2018, 1:35 pm

Jan - another vote for Station Inn - always had someone great there and saw the steeldrivers there several times while Chris Stapleton was with them.

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 250
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Nashville music/club question

#8 Post by jan.brekke » December 18th, 2018, 6:23 pm

adam landa wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Station Inn is another.

What part of town will you be and what restaurants on your list?
We are staying at AC Hotel downtown. I haven't done a lot of restaurant research, but am interested in Catbird Seat, City House and Rolf and daughters. Will have to try local BBQ as well. My wife has been doing the planning thus far, as it's her conference, but I'm starting to do a little of my own research. I'm looking forward to it. Good food and music, hard to beat.

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 250
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Nashville music/club question

#9 Post by jan.brekke » December 18th, 2018, 6:24 pm

Thanks to all for the music recs. Much appreciated!

User avatar
Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2541
Joined: June 1st, 2009, 5:21 pm
Location: University Park, MD/Rehoboth Beach, DE

Re: Nashville music/club question

#10 Post by Jay $$ Winton » December 19th, 2018, 7:48 am

Rudy's for jazz. Haven't been but hear good things. I think it's in the Gulch??
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

User avatar
Jason Hagen
Posts: 5024
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 10:37 am
Location: SoCal

Re: Nashville music/club question

#11 Post by Jason Hagen » December 19th, 2018, 8:04 am

jan.brekke wrote:
December 18th, 2018, 6:23 pm
adam landa wrote:
December 17th, 2018, 9:15 pm
Station Inn is another.

What part of town will you be and what restaurants on your list?
We are staying at AC Hotel downtown. I haven't done a lot of restaurant research, but am interested in Catbird Seat, City House and Rolf and daughters. Will have to try local BBQ as well. My wife has been doing the planning thus far, as it's her conference, but I'm starting to do a little of my own research. I'm looking forward to it. Good food and music, hard to beat.
Skip the BBQ and get hot chicken.

I really like City House. I did have a spot a Catbird with fellow Berserker Cris Grimm but then we scored tickets to see Emmylou performing the entire wrecking ball record .... so sound over food in that case.

You are probably walking distance from Pinewood Social for something hipster.

Jason

User avatar
Mark Cochard
Posts: 451
Joined: April 16th, 2009, 8:04 am
Location: Philly

Re: Nashville music/club question

#12 Post by Mark Cochard » December 19th, 2018, 10:34 am

Tootsie's Orchid Lounge and Robert's Western World do not allow day packs to be brought in.

Had a jerk for a waiter at City house, but my buddy who works for a wine distributor in Nashville loves it.
Bastion was very good - alums of Catbird, sort of works the same way, pre fixe with 3 choices per course and they cook right in front of you and introduce each dish. Had a great young somm.

User avatar
Mark Cochard
Posts: 451
Joined: April 16th, 2009, 8:04 am
Location: Philly

Re: Nashville music/club question

#13 Post by Mark Cochard » December 19th, 2018, 10:40 am

Forgot to mention there is a Nashville live music venue app.
https://www.visitmusiccity.com/plan/liv ... lemusicapp
It has everything you need to see live music

User avatar
scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3464
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:31 pm

Re: Nashville music/club question

#14 Post by scamhi » December 19th, 2018, 10:40 am

We loved Roberts's Western World on a recent trip. The Honky Tonks have no cover charge for music but you should contribute to band. We also really enjoyed Folk https://www.goodasfolk.com/ and Henrietta Red https://www.henriettared.com/ We BYO'd at both with reasonable corkage
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

User avatar
jan.brekke
Posts: 250
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 12:42 pm
Location: Appleton, WI

Re: Nashville music/club question

#15 Post by jan.brekke » December 20th, 2018, 7:11 am

Lot's of really good looking restaurants. We'll have three nights there, so I'm excited to try out the local fare. Will definitely try hot chicken. Bastion looks really good. Thx for all of the music recs. The music app is a good ideal as well.

We'll be there with another couple. The wives will be at the ACOG meeting during the day. Any recs for things to do during the day on a Sat/Sun in Nashville?
thx

User avatar
John Draper
Posts: 184
Joined: March 4th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Nashville music/club question

#16 Post by John Draper » December 20th, 2018, 1:35 pm

another vote for Robert's, have seen The Silver Threads there a couple of times along with other impressive artists. Also, the have killer fried baloney sandwiches. #childhoodnostalgia
liberstein

Alan Gottlieb
Posts: 215
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:54 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: Nashville music/club question

#17 Post by Alan Gottlieb » December 23rd, 2018, 2:53 pm

Station Inn was our favorite Nothing fancy

Henrietta Red ? for dinner was great

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”