Dana Point/Laguna Niguel

We’ll be headed there Saturday for 2 weeks.

Any restaurants or sights not to miss? Easy hikes, historical sites in particular. We’ll have a car.

Any locals want to meet up somewhere (between 12/9 - 12/22) to open a few bottles?

Paging TODD F R E N C H!!!

Wow, loaded question. Plenty of folks here can help! For fine dining, Steak and Bourbon at Monarch Beach Resort. Any of the restaurants in South Laguna at Montage are great. The pier in Dana Point has some fun new restaurants, and a sports bar that’s supposedly good, but I’ve not been there. Lucianas is good in Dana Point, so is Two Left Forks (free corkage!)

I’m around the 17th - 21st but not yet sure when my father in law shows up, so I might not be available! He might be there the whole week! I’ll def see what I can do

The Missions of California are a big part of the history. https://www.missionsjc.com/

It has been a few years but I had a wonderful meal, and wine, at Broadway http://www.broadwaybyamarsantana.com/

If by hike you are talking about hiking, there are loads of spots. Just cruising the beach is wonderful. You could also go to El Moro https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/el-moro-canyon-loop-trail

Cheers,

Jason

Tons of trails out here in Talega, off La Pata - nice seaside walking along Capistrano Beach

For a cool experience, go south past San Clemente to ‘Trails’ - it’s right near the power plant, untouched, cliffside where you walk down to a beach that has nobody on it, just people setting up their stuff for surf sessions. Stop at any of them, but the further south you go (Trails 1-5 I think, parking all along there, easy to find) the more remote it gets

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, by easy hikes we mean to get out on some scenic trails that aren’t too demanding for older folks with a few replacement parts.

We’ll check a bag with a few bottles so Todd if anything opens up would enjoy a chance to pop a few corks with you and any other locals. I’ll PM my contact info.

There is a nice trail on the north side of Monarch Beach Golf course. Just walking the neighborhoods along the ocean north of Dana Point headlands is easy, scenic, and your jaw will drop at some of the houses along the beach.

Great trails right in Dana Point. Just walking all around the harbor is great. Takes 60- 90 minutes depending on the amount of dilly dallying. All flat.

Above the harbor is a great trail. Headlands Conservatory.

DP Trials
http://www.danapoint.org/department/community-services-and-parks/parks/parks-trails

Thanks for the great tips. Been here about a week at the Blue Lantern Inn just above the Dana Point Harbor. Blue Lantern Inn is a cross between a small hotel and a B&B. Great views everywhere and weather has been quite a bit more pleasant than back home. We’ve seen groups of dolphins from the DP Headlands but no whales. The view from our balcony at the Blue Lantern yesterday:

20181213_135820.jpg
And tonight the DP Yacht Club had their parade of Christmas Lights:

20181214 DP Yacht Club Xmas parade.jpg
Easy walking access right our our door to the Bluff Top, Heritage Park, and Dana Point Headlands Conservation Area trails. Not flat, particularly if you go from the top of the bluff to the beach and back, but easy. And the walk along the harbor is very pleasant and flat.

We’ll start exploring a little further afield next - Capistrano and San Clemente - still very close but a short car ride to get there. And the Trails near San Onofre.

Really liked Two Left Forks and Coastal Kitchen. Luciana’s was so-so food but great service and cozy atmosphere. Love the “corkage is normal” attitude at most places, contrasted with Maryland where it’s the exception rather than the rule. Maki Yaki is a tiny but good sushi place just a few blocks away. Will probably try one or two high-end places next week.

Angelina’s has a very good margherita pie done in a wood burning oven and as close to authenticate Neapolitan I one can find, especially for California. I was in Dana Point just last month after a too many year hiatus and remembered just how much I love the OC.
IMG_20181110_090406-01.jpeg
IMG_20181110_140948.jpg