Hiking in Napa

Hello All,

So the GF and I are heading to Napa the weekend before Christmas. Along with the usual activities, we are looking to do some hiking for a couple hours one of the days.
Can anyone recommend any decent hiking trails, preferably ones with some decent views along the way? I checked google a bit but figured I would drop a note here as well.

Thanks in advance for any ideas…

Although it’s not really a hike and not technically in Napa, Jack London State Park is pretty interesting. There is a great museum and then a 10-15 hike to the Wolf House. Highly recommend

There are also some longer hikes that start from there.

Not Napa but Muir Woods is worth the drive if you are that close imo

There’s always Mount St. Helena at the top of the valley!

Be sure to make parking reservations early as they are required and fill up days/weeks ahead of time, especially on weekends. Otherwise you have to take a shuttle from HWY 101.

Are you flying into SFO? If so and if you don’t mind hiking up and down a long winding hill, I think one of the best views in all of NoCal is at the Marin Headlands. It’s just on the Marin side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Spectacular views looking Southwest back towards San Francisco, and then of the Pacific Ocean looking towards the Northwest. From there only about an hour to Napa (depending on traffic).

Also for something in Napa, Skyline Wilderness Park is minutes from downtown. I’ve only played disc golf there but I know there are some hiking trails and great views

Awesome, thank you all!

I’d rather spend the weekend drinking and eating the whole time, but the GF really wants to sprinkle in some healthy time. Oh well… happy GF, happy life, right?

Yes, Skyline should be great and very close if you’re near Napa. If near Calistoga, Oat Hill Mine Trail goes up into Robert Louis Stevenson SP, and there are other trails around there.

If you don’t already have it, take a look at AllTrails. There’s a phone app that will show you a huge number of trails.

What about Bothe Napa Valley State Park up by Calistoga?

I think the best bang for your buck hiking option in Napa Valley is Table Rock above Calistoga. It has a pretty stunning view at the turnaround point and multiple vistas along the way.

You park across the street from the trailhead to Mount St. Helena (it is a more exciting hike than St. Helena), and it is about a 3hr round trip hike to IMHO of the best views of the entire valley (seeing the entire valley N to S) There are some awesome rock outcroppings, a labyrinth, and multiple vistas. It is moderate in difficulty with some ups and downs. Pack a picnic and eat it at the turn around point. If you want to do a shorter hike (60-75min), there is a smaller rock outcropping with decent views about 1/2 way. If you want a longer hike, you can start on the valley floor in Calistoga, take Oat Hill Mine trail to Table Rock and you have an incredible hike along the Palisades. That is about 8hrs round trip and more strenuous.

Bothe is a good spot to hike in the rain. It is heavily wooded and the trees provide some relief. There is only one decent vista point, but 99% of the hike is in the trees.

Table Rock overview
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/table-rock-trail-palisades-trail-to-holms-place

Again, thank you to all!