Wineries in the City of Montepulciano

Gonna be in Tuscany in May. Setting up a variety of appointments throughout the area, but wanted recommendations on any wineries within the city of Montepulciano you would recommend visiting without setting up an appointment?

Plenty have tasting rooms that you can just pop into, more than are showing on Google maps. It’s easy to stroll around and taste, though personally I still prefer the engagement of a pre-arranged apppointment. There is a listing here https://www.stradavinonobile.it/en/wineries-vino-nobile/

I will recommend Crociani, perhaps a little under the radar, but very good and they remain good value. We didn’t go to Contucci, but they are properly old, so if you value history, might make them a star visit. I’m pretty sure we popped into Dei’s tasting room, and that’s another worht trying. If driving, the family run and properly under the radar Daviddi near Stazione Montepulciano was a genuine pleasure. I’ve seen a shop listing some of their wines in Torino, so will be looking to pick up a bottle or two on an upcoming ‘grocery shopping’ trip.

For food, La Grotta opposite San Biagio was surprisingly impressive for somewhere that it would be too easy to be fat dumb and happy on a steady (but not overwhelming) flow of tourists. Osteria del Conte was charmingly modest and all the better for it.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Glad you mentioned some restaurants as we will need to eat. We have arranged visits to 7 wineries in Brunello/Chianti over several days, but wanted an afternoon to walk around Montepulciano with nothing “planned”… and just pop in for a tasting.

You’ll be fine! Do wear decent shoes though as even just walking around the historic centre can be surprisingly taxing on the feet, but if strolling down to San Biagio and back up, then you’ll appreciate the meaning of ‘hilltop’. That said, a steady walk up the hill is a great way to get the digestion going.

As always, Ian provides very wise and useful information. You should always take his advice.

We did something similar on our last trip to the area two or three years ago, taking part of a day just strolling around Montepulciano with no tasting appointments. We had previously been to Avignonesi for their tour and lunch deal, which is worth a visit but which I think is actually closer to Cortona than Montepulciano. Montepulciano is a great town to stroll but, as Ian says, it can get tiring.

We stopped in at Contucci, which is right on the Piazza Grande if I recall, and Gattavecchi, both of which were worth the stop. I think the latter prefers an appointment but they were open and poured for us when we just walked in.

La Grotta was the only place we ate and I would second that recommendation.

It’s been a dozen or so years ago, but we did the “stroll the city” thing as well. Lots of tastings just walking around. Surprised how many, and how accommodating they were, and how good some of the wines were. Lots of Vino Nobile. Can’t remember any specific spots, but we had a great time.

Highly recommend Contucci, right on the Piazza, walk in. In a good vintage the riserva and the single vinyard stuff is solid. 2010 was fantastic.
That one will be quick.
The Consorzio del Vino Nobile has a tasting room in the same area. You’ll want an appointment (can be done on their website, I think). Good opportunity to try/compare several producers. They taste different wines on different days, so if you’re in the area…