Switzerland

Cheers,
Pulling together a trip to Switzerland and Piemonte for next September. I’ve got a decent grip on Italy/Italian wine, but am clueless re: Switzerland.

Any advice, especially re: Swiss wine? Are vineyard visits/tastings practical/worth the effort?
We likely won’t have a car, so that’s a factor.

Thanks.

I’ve been to the Montreux Jazz Festival a few times. Between montreux and Laussanne is the Lavaux terraces. Easy access from the main train and a smaller commute line. Wonderful white wines for the price (10-30 euros, and got several half bottles that was perfect for balcony drinking on the trip).

There were several small wineries being run from their homes. Fun tastings on their patios and wonderful people to talk to. And, the best part, the area is really beautiful and great to hike around. There was a wonderful restaurant at the bottom of the tiny village.

I have not been there in 5 years, but I’m sure it’s all the same (except the restaurant).

Thanks Doug: This is good info. Our itinerary is leaning toward Luzern, which appears to have similar vineyards and hiking opportunities.

If you go to Zurich, check out a restaurant called Caduff’s Wine Vault. It’s been a few years since I was there, but I enjoyed a memorable meal with fresh local venison. Guests get to go down into the cellar and choose bottles off the shelves. I enjoyed an older Mascarello Barolo for a good price.

There is a huge diversity of wine all over the country. Lavaux is gorgeous. Likewise for the Valais. Or Ticino.

Luzern is more of a beer and schnapps area(my family is from there). Switzerland is pretty small and with trains there is plenty accessible areas. Eric would be the one to comment better as he lives(lived?)there