French Rivera/Cote D'Azur. Where to stay?

Heading there next summer for a few nights. My family which includes 2 “boys” 17 and 21 so need 2 hotel rooms or a apartment/VRBO. Would like to stay anywhere between Antibes and Monaco. Plenty of places but rates get pretty insane during the high season. I know all the obvious choices on the sea but you are pushing $1K a night. Any places you would recommend maybe more inland? Will have a car. Any advice is appreciated. A pool is a must.

For example… This place looks great but $$$. Hotel Belles Rives : Antibes, Juan les Pins

TIA,

George

I’m not sure how much money you’ll save (if any) , but the Chèvre d’or in Eze is quite special.

You may also want to look at hotels in Vence and St Paul de Vence. We don’t have hotel experiences in either, though. Let Cagnes is Haut-Cagnes is a nice hotel in and old castle, but, alas, no pool

We took our children when they were similar in age to yours. We stayed in Cannes for a week, which they loved. Beach and plenty of other stuff to do, day and night. I suggest that you try to find the best hotel package of room+breakfast+beach club. We stayed that trip at the Carlton, with 2nd row beach beds (after a modest bribe to the attendant) at their beach club and an excellent breakfast spread. It was a memorable stay.

Thanks. Will look around there also. Looked at Chèvre D’Or also beautiful. Major coin. [cheers.gif]

George

How about Nice? I was there for 6 nights last month and once again, loved it. Lot’s to do in town, mixture of high end and affordable eats, great location for day trips to Eze, Monaco, etc. Beach was rocky but lovely.

I stayed at the Hyatt, great location. Seems to be a hair under 400 euros per night mid July, but if you have Hyatt points, you can defray some of the costs.

By the way, I didn’t stay at Chevre D’or but had lunch there. Worth every penny.

If you are looking for nice and very reasonable, check out Welcome Hotel in Villefrance Sur Mer. Hotel on the water adjacent to Nice. Good parking in public lot across the street and 5 minute walk to coast train. I forgot, hotel also has parking. I parked in public lot when hotel lot was full on one occasion .

George, this little village Villefranche-sur-Mer is gorgeous and might not break the bank. We stayed at a small hotel on the ocean for 120E a night but, if I went back I’d find a VRBO place to rent. I don’t care how fancy a hotel is. No way, you can’t beat renting a villa and the extra room for a family and the value.

VRBO has a bunch of places for around 200E night with great sea and village views

We day tripped to Monaco and not impressed. Loved EZE for lunch or dinner but wouldn’t overnight there. The U2 guys own a place in Villefranche-sur-Mer. The Stones made Exile On Mainstreet in Villefranche-sur-Mer. Pretty sure Sean Connery has a place there too. Has a really cool old town to wonder through or stay in. Or a more modern area closer to the highway. Train goes through it. Its a gorgeous and charming inexpensive coastal village just 10 minutes east of Nice.

Craig - definitely looking at a VRBO maybe up around Vence or St Paul de Vence or Le Colle-Our-Loup. Some nice options there and relatively centrally located. Will look at Villefranche-sur-Mer also.

Thanks,

George

We have stayed in Vence, Haut de Cagne, and Villefranche. All were very enjoyable. There are several small towns in the area you may want to visit so it doesn’t matter much which one you stay in and which one you drive to. Biot is another nice small city in the area.

If you want to splurge for a meal, Monaco is worth a trip for Joel Robuchon. Easy to get to by train.

Chevre d’or was also amazing, and somewhat lighter food. Both meals are vivid in my memory for their excellence.

If you are looking at VRBO, keep Mougins in view. Straight up from Antibes and a nice town. We used to rent a fabulous place there (Edith Piaf rented it for summers). Unfortunately, it is no longer on the market.

I have been searching the entire area via VRBO and AirBnb. I think I have looked at every villa twice! :slight_smile:

Anybody have any local rental options? When we have stayed in other European cities - Paris, Barcelona, Madrid we have had good luck with local agencies instead of the big internet sites.

George

George,

I looked on Airbnb and saw quite few apartments for rent on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. The pool is a must may be the deal breaker though. The sea has beautiful water. Buy those cheap rubber slip on beach shoes when you get there so you can walk on the pebbles.

Maybe your timing is making it difficult. August first few weeks is french holidays so it is quite busy. Try to stay anywhere on the Promenade des Anglais between say Hotel Negresco and downtown. The higher up in floors, the better, as the traffic is noisy sometimes. If you are flying into NCE you can take the T1 metro or Uber in. Avoid cabs there. Have air conditioning. Have a great time!

Steve

Steve - thanks. The problem is not a lack of places to stay. Right now it is an over abundance. We will be there the 1st week of July. Founds some great places so far just need to make a decision.

George

near St-Tropez, check out Chateau de la Messardiere.

Made reservations here. https://www.hotel-llorca.com. Seems like a great location. Reasonably priced (for the area). Michelin 1* restaurant. I have found small hotels like this in Europe to be very relaxing.

Thoughts?

George

Looks good, enjoy.

We stayed a few nights in Nice and a few nights in Menton, while taking a few day trips around the riviera. We absolutely loved Menton, being a lower key and less commercial place. I also noticed a lot of families staying here. It was actually one of our favorite places out of roughly 40-some countries we have visited. We stayed at a nice B&B, La Petite Maison, which I believe was around $140-$150 in July.

We also stayed at the Hyatt in Nice. This was using Points and free nights, but I would never, ever, pay in cash what the hotel is going for. The only good thing about it was the location on the corniche. Me and the wife have specific tastes, but we very much preferred the smaller villages over Nice. I would have stayed in Villefranche if I had to do it again. I loved the beach and the town there. The Riviera is very easy to get around for day trips using the train.

Jeff,

Thanks. I think my tastes mirror yours. We are going to stay outside the larger cities.

George