Paris in February? Where to Stay?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Message
Author
User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#1 Post by Corey N. » September 20th, 2018, 8:13 am

My partner doesn't get much time off of work, but she's going to take several days off in February. I was thinking of Paris because we could fly overnight and arrive in the morning, thus maximizing our time, but Central/South American is an option.

2 quick questions
1) Is February in Paris "worth it" or will it be too cold (40s F) to enjoy?
2) What area would you recommend to be central for a fair amount of sightseeing? I was thinking the Latin Quarter, but I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Thank you.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4779
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#2 Post by M.Kaplan » September 20th, 2018, 8:52 am

We're in Paris now. We've stayed in many parts of central Paris, but have spent the last nine September-Octobers in Saint-Germain-des-Prés in the 6th (the Latin Quarter is a little east, in the 6th-5th, mainly surrounding the Sorbonne). I like it here better than the Latin Quarter, as the Sorbonne area largely, though not exclusively, caters to the student population.
---Mark

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2849
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#3 Post by Mike Cohen » September 20th, 2018, 8:56 am

Corey,

Depends...we've mostly been in the warmer weather (which presents its own issues) but I remember going in December. It was cold, but not so bad that I was unhappy. To me, the bigger issue would be that it will get dark early at that time of year. I would suggest staying in the 6er rather than the Latin Quarter. I'd also suggest finding a hotel that has nearby access to two different metro lines. We stayed at the Lutetia which is in the 6er and very close to the 7er and thought it was perfect.

You're not going to be having a picnic in the Rodin Museum gardens at this time of year and the Tuilleries won't be blooming, but so what? You'll get to eat some of the more hearty dishes that you might not consider in the warmer weather.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#4 Post by Corey N. » September 20th, 2018, 12:31 pm

Thanks gents. I'll focus my search in the 6th arrondissement.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Victor Hong
Posts: 13942
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 1:34 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#5 Post by Victor Hong » September 20th, 2018, 12:51 pm

Coq au vin and cheese souffle, at L'Auberge Bressane. Perfect for that time of year.
Even better, few tourists.
WineHunter.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3483
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#6 Post by Ramon C » September 20th, 2018, 4:33 pm

Corey N. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 8:13 am

2 quick questions
1) Is February in Paris "worth it" or will it be too cold (40s F) to enjoy?
2) What area would you recommend to be central for a fair amount of sightseeing? I was thinking the Latin Quarter, but I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Thank you.
1) Worth it.
2) Agree with already mentioned 6th Arr, but will throw in Le Marais for a much closer feel of old Paris.
@brera

User avatar
George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5098
Joined: April 21st, 2009, 3:36 pm
Location: Batavia, IL

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#7 Post by George Hejna » September 20th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Agree on the 6th. I would also look at Lima. No jet lag. So many great restaurants. It is summer.

George

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#8 Post by Corey N. » September 20th, 2018, 5:53 pm

George Hejna wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 5:19 pm
Agree on the 6th. I would also look at Lima. No jet lag. So many great restaurants. It is summer.

George
Thank you -- will check that out!
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4712
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#9 Post by Michel Abood » September 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm

I go to Paris in February, and will be there in 2019 at that time. I usually stay in the 9th, but as others have mentioned the 6th is very centrally located and easy to navigate from. The weather won't be too cold (mid-40s, sometimes even 50sF), though it does get dark early. That said, there are WAY fewer tourists to deal with, and you might even snag a deal or two. Almost as importantly, there are rarely any strikes at that time of year.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
Robert Pollard-Smith
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5115
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 9:11 am
Location: Always on LSD, except when traveling

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#10 Post by Robert Pollard-Smith » September 21st, 2018, 12:52 pm

Victor Hong wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 12:51 pm
Coq au vin and cheese souffle, at L'Auberge Bressane. Perfect for that time of year.
Even better, few tourists.
Yeah, I could see that meal lasting you a week. [snort.gif]
He's like a star on a foggy morning
When you think he's near, he's far away

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4172
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#11 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 21st, 2018, 2:04 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm
I go to Paris in February, and will be there in 2019 at that time. I usually stay in the 9th, but as others have mentioned the 6th is very centrally located and easy to navigate from. The weather won't be too cold (mid-40s, sometimes even 50sF), though it does get dark early. That said, there are WAY fewer tourists to deal with, and you might even snag a deal or two. Almost as importantly, there are rarely any strikes at that time of year.
It's February, it's going to be cold. Possibly rainy, too. Keep that in mind, but it'll be a blast. Metro stops are all over the place, but given rain, bring an umbrella and use Uber. Much, much more convenient than taxi. Exception - use metro during commute hours if you're criss-crossing Paris; I've routinely spent an hour getting from Issy to Gran Palais/Louvre when stuck in a vehicle.

Re: where to stay - I'd also consider the Les Halles area. Lot of great shops, restaurants and artsy things to do... but still very walkable to other destinations.

Cassoulet is a slam dunk here as is warm Mont d'Or cheese.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Robert Broder
Posts: 372
Joined: July 16th, 2010, 8:26 am
Location: Bryn Mawr, PA

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#12 Post by Robert Broder » September 22nd, 2018, 1:16 pm

Paris is great anytime, but of course my wife and I have been there well over 20 times. Sounds like a lot, but at 72 and having gone 2 Europe once or twice a year, regardless of where we go we usually connect through Paris for a couple of days on the way home. Stayed at multiple hotels all over central Paris at various price points. On our last several visits we have stayed at Hotel Vernueil in the 7th bordering the 6th. Highly recommended for several reasons: very reasonable, great location on left bank surrounded by metro stops and 2 short blocks to the Seine, wifi, Internet, comfortable , welcoming and helpful staff, AC (not needed in November ). Meets our basic needs quite well. We have long since given up 5 stars, although I did enjoy the Maurice and the Four Seasons.

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15948
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#13 Post by Howard Cooper » September 23rd, 2018, 6:18 am

Corey N. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 8:13 am
My partner doesn't get much time off of work, but she's going to take several days off in February. I was thinking of Paris because we could fly overnight and arrive in the morning, thus maximizing our time, but Central/South American is an option.

2 quick questions
1) Is February in Paris "worth it" or will it be too cold (40s F) to enjoy?
2) What area would you recommend to be central for a fair amount of sightseeing? I was thinking the Latin Quarter, but I'm open to any/all suggestions.

Thank you.
Corey,

I don't know how often you have been to Paris, but I would think that if the weather is cold, you could easily spend days in museums and eating. I have not been to Paris in February and generally would not want to go then (we were once in Rome in the winter and it rained almost every day), but we have been to Paris on rainy days. On one of them we went to the Musee d'Orsay during the day and then had a wonderful dinner at L’Atelier de Joël Robuchon. So, I would say not necessarily the best time to go but I would think you would have lots of fun anyway.


This summer we were in Paris for two stints (before and after Beaune). On our first stint, we stayed at the Renaissance Paris Vendome Hotel. https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/ ... ba596febe2 We stayed there because we had Marriott points and did not pay for the hotel (which was nice [cheers.gif] ). The hotel was very nice but not great - but the location was spectacular. Very convenient to walking places.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Michael Klein
Posts: 416
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#14 Post by Michael Klein » September 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm

Wow. This is a thread I am going to follow closely!

After a LOT of back and forth on ideas, I just booked a trip to Paris the first two weeks of February next year. I get a sabbatical and it's really the only time I can do it. Never been to the Louvre and many other museums. Going to buy a museum pass and plan to relax in cafes the rest of the time. May try to do Versailles, despite the gardens being mostly closed. Lots of food and wine, obviously.

I'm also planning to travel to Reims for a night or two, as I am super excited to visit Krug!

Any other thoughts on winter 'things to do' - let me know! My wife will be joining me the second week and we'll celebrate our anniversary in Paris.

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11028
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#15 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 24th, 2018, 2:27 pm

February will likely be cold and grey with some rain. Worth it? I love less touristy times of year. You're a Chicagoan aren't you? It won't be that cold.

To be central to the action, you probably can't beat recommendations for the 6e and Marais.

My Sis lives out near La Defense. Don't stay out there...but I do enjoy it having done a fair bit of the downtown thing. Prices for everything drop pretty significantly with distance from the Louvre. The best of Parisian food and wines are all closer to downtown.

Just returned from a week trip. My first full day was spent at Euro Disney with 2 x 10 year olds. It's not quite my idea of hell...but one makes sacrifices for family.

RT

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11028
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#16 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 24th, 2018, 2:33 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm
May try to do Versailles, despite the gardens being mostly closed.
Versailles is worthwhile, even the indoors...which can take most of a day. The gardens are fantastic and I'd really recommend touring them in nice weather. Just did a 4+ hour cycling tour and only covered half of the gardens (including the Trianon and Hameau). A knowledgeable guide is worth the premium....even if the facts behind half the stories are dubious. Turns out Versailles gets 7+ million visitors per year, 2nd busiest attraction in the Paris region behind the Louvre. No doubt there'll be fewer in the Winter.

RT

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2849
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#17 Post by Mike Cohen » September 24th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 2:33 pm
Michael Klein wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm
May try to do Versailles, despite the gardens being mostly closed.
Versailles is worthwhile, even the indoors...which can take most of a day. The gardens are fantastic and I'd really recommend touring them in nice weather. Just did a 4+ hour cycling tour and only covered half of the gardens (including the Trianon and Hameau). A knowledgeable guide is worth the premium....even if the facts behind half the stories are dubious. Turns out Versailles gets 7+ million visitors per year, 2nd busiest attraction in the Paris region behind the Louvre. No doubt there'll be fewer in the Winter.

RT
I actually found that Versailles without the gardens wasn't worth the time. It's a huge property (just trying to comprehend the size is amazing) but the inside is mostly empty rooms. That said, clearly many, many others feel differently.

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11028
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#18 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 24th, 2018, 3:57 pm

Less likely to encounter this in February. A good guide can really make the experience.

Image

RT

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#19 Post by Corey N. » September 24th, 2018, 4:44 pm

Michael Klein wrote:
September 24th, 2018, 2:00 pm
Wow. This is a thread I am going to follow closely!

After a LOT of back and forth on ideas, I just booked a trip to Paris the first two weeks of February next year. I get a sabbatical and it's really the only time I can do it. Never been to the Louvre and many other museums. Going to buy a museum pass and plan to relax in cafes the rest of the time. May try to do Versailles, despite the gardens being mostly closed. Lots of food and wine, obviously.

I'm also planning to travel to Reims for a night or two, as I am super excited to visit Krug!

Any other thoughts on winter 'things to do' - let me know! My wife will be joining me the second week and we'll celebrate our anniversary in Paris.
Thanks Richard, Howard, Andrew, Michel, Ramon.

--

Michael, there's a chance that we might do Italy instead, but I think Paris will win out. In any case, perhaps we can meet up there, since it's impossible to get together in Chicago! Seriously -- let's compare notes in advance of our trips.
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 844
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#20 Post by Michael O'Brien » September 24th, 2018, 5:55 pm

We were there in July. Rented a 2/2 Airbnb with AC in the 3rd Le Marais. Great location.
PlanoWino

theocorrel
Posts: 149
Joined: April 26th, 2010, 6:45 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#21 Post by theocorrel » September 25th, 2018, 5:08 pm

As of Dec. 1 of last year, fines for Air B&B rentals in Paris are now I believe 12,000 euro+ and they are enforcing it. Be careful. All Air B&Bs are illegal in Paris, unless it is licensed as a commercial property. The Dec. law was meant to put teeth to the prohibition - and prop managers in Paris tell me the enforcement is strong.

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13559
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#22 Post by Jay Miller » September 26th, 2018, 6:07 am

While I've never been in February late November in Paris is also cold and rainy and a wonderful place to visit.

You lose out on gardens but advantages are fewer crowds, easier reservations, etc.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

YLee
Posts: 761
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#23 Post by YLee » September 26th, 2018, 6:30 am

I loved the Hyatt Vendome hotel in Paris. Lovely hotel, great location you can walk to majority of the sites, fantastic staffs and great breakfast spread champagne.gif
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2849
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#24 Post by Mike Cohen » September 26th, 2018, 7:08 am

Corey,

My family and I were in Italy last month (Rome and Florence with day trips to Capri and Lucca). If it were me traveling in February, I'm pretty sure that Paris would be more enjoyable. Rome and Florence had more outdoor stuff...the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Colosseum, Forum, Borghese Gardens, Boboli Gardens, etc. and I felt like Rome was more spread out.

I think that the Paris metro system is great and very advantageous in the colder weather.

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#25 Post by Corey N. » September 26th, 2018, 7:14 am

Thanks Mike -- I think we are leaning toward Paris. If there were any day trips that you recommended, I'd love to hear it. Was considering Fontainebleau as an alternative to Versailles, though Reims is possible.

Yong, the Vendrome looks lovely, but I think you might be a bit more (by which I mean A LOT MORE) of a baller than I am.
Nøv¡¢k

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2849
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#26 Post by Mike Cohen » September 26th, 2018, 7:56 am

Corey N. wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 7:14 am
Thanks Mike -- I think we are leaning toward Paris. If there were any day trips that you recommended, I'd love to hear it. Was considering Fontainebleau as an alternative to Versailles, though Reims is possible.

Yong, the Vendrome looks lovely, but I think you might be a bit more (by which I mean A LOT MORE) of a baller than I am.
When we've been in Paris, we've tended to stay in Paris (other than Versailles). We've been to Provence, but that was in the warmer weather. I don't know enough about Reims to make a suggestion.

As an FYI, when we stayed at the Hotel Lutetia (great location) we used Amex points. At the time (not sure if they still do this) because of the Amex connection if a nicer room was available they would upgrade you and we were fortunate enough to get such an upgrade. At a certain level I don't care about the hotel, but we've stayed in some pretty tiny rooms in Paris and this was a very nice bonus. Bottom line, I'd check out Amex's policies.

As a second FYI, my brother and sister-in-law are going to London and Paris in a couple of weeks. They booked the trip through Costco (I had no idea that this even exists) and they were able to get some pretty fantastic rates on flights and hotels. Actually shockingly good rates.

Jim Friedman
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 815
Joined: November 5th, 2010, 7:30 am
Location: Detroit

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#27 Post by Jim Friedman » September 26th, 2018, 8:09 am

We stayed at the Buddha Bar hotel in the 8th last month for a week. Great location near Rue St Honore. We got a great rate through Magellan Travel. The hotel was wonderful and an incredible full breakfast was included. Highly recommended.
https://buddhabarhotelparis.com/

Michael Klein
Posts: 416
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#28 Post by Michael Klein » September 26th, 2018, 9:33 am

lots of great info! Corey - i will email you - I am the WORST. [smileyvault-ban.gif]

In regards to airbnb, it sounds like it is the owners that are getting in trouble. But - good advice and info, I will be cautious of what i book!

User avatar
David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15576
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 5:29 pm
Location: ChiIl

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#29 Post by David K o l i n » September 26th, 2018, 10:57 am

Jim Friedman wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 8:09 am
We stayed at the Buddha Bar hotel in the 8th last month for a week. Great location near Rue St Honore. We got a great rate through Magellan Travel. The hotel was wonderful and an incredible full breakfast was included. Highly recommended.
https://buddhabarhotelparis.com/

I didn’t know that they had a hotel, Jim. My wife played the Buddha Bar CD we picked up a the bar 20+ years ago for Yom Kippur break fast last week. Bet we were the only Jews in the world with that selection.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4172
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#30 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 26th, 2018, 12:45 pm

Jim Friedman wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 8:09 am
We stayed at the Buddha Bar hotel in the 8th last month for a week. Great location near Rue St Honore. We got a great rate through Magellan Travel. The hotel was wonderful and an incredible full breakfast was included. Highly recommended.
https://buddhabarhotelparis.com/
Location is great - I'd reference it being a block or so north of Concorde, next to the US Embassy, as St Honore goes across half of Paris ;) If you can land a cheap rate there, fantastic. Super convenient for metro, given the Madeline and Concorde stops. Grab the RATP app before you go.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

User avatar
Corey N.
Posts: 26346
Joined: November 18th, 2010, 8:36 pm
Location: Certainly NOT Orlando

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#31 Post by Corey N. » September 26th, 2018, 12:59 pm

David K o l i n wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 10:57 am
Jim Friedman wrote:
September 26th, 2018, 8:09 am
We stayed at the Buddha Bar hotel in the 8th last month for a week. Great location near Rue St Honore. We got a great rate through Magellan Travel. The hotel was wonderful and an incredible full breakfast was included. Highly recommended.
https://buddhabarhotelparis.com/

I didn’t know that they had a hotel, Jim. My wife played the Buddha Bar CD we picked up a the bar 20+ years ago for Yom Kippur break fast last week. Bet we were the only Jews in the world with that selection.
I have about 7-8 of their albums. You're welcome to have a listen the next time you come by.

(some are most assuredly better than others)
Nøv¡¢k

User avatar
Matthew Brown
Posts: 5692
Joined: June 4th, 2009, 10:03 am
Location: Charlottesville, VA/ITB

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#32 Post by Matthew Brown » September 26th, 2018, 1:19 pm

Tracy and I stayed in the 5th Arr. in April, very close to the Luxembourg Gardens and the Pantheon. Very easy subway access from CDG in that area, lots of hubs for buses to go in every direction.More of a residential vibe with the University there. Lots of good restaurants that aren't touristy, a very nice wine shop up by the pantheon as well (not baller level but quite a few gems.) If you're getting there on a Monday or Tuesday getting an unlimited metro pass is excellent as you can jump on and off the buses at will and see the city at a really leisurely pace. We loved walking in a general direction until a bus came along, hop it for a while without worrying about exact change, and hopping off when we saw something we liked.
The Chav who mostly isn't.

User avatar
R@y.Tupp@+sch
Posts: 2470
Joined: February 19th, 2009, 8:22 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#33 Post by R@y.Tupp@+sch » September 26th, 2018, 1:27 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
September 21st, 2018, 12:05 pm
I go to Paris in February, and will be there in 2019 at that time. I usually stay in the 9th, but as others have mentioned the 6th is very centrally located and easy to navigate from. The weather won't be too cold (mid-40s, sometimes even 50sF), though it does get dark early.
Always the exception to the rule like when I was there in 2012 and it was brutally cold. So much so that they closed the Eiffel Tower and the towers in Notre Dame.
Was at Astrance one night that year and snow flurries started. Diners started to panic and the restaurant was nearly empty by 9:00.
Still a decent tradeoff to tourists (like me) that make it so crowded other times of the year.
I have almost always stayed in the 8th Arrondissement because I'm a big fan of Le Bristol Hotel, but I can see how the hotel could not necessarily be someone's cup of tea.
Killer, Staggering, Excellent, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor ®

User avatar
Scott G r u n e r
Posts: 3232
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Location: Seattleish

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#34 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 26th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Can't speak to Feb, but for a short stay I would pick hotel in the 6th. For a longer stay, rent an apartment in the Marais. Have been there in April and July. Preferred April.
//Cynic

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15948
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#35 Post by Howard Cooper » September 27th, 2018, 5:50 am

One idea. Fly to Paris, then go to Burgundy or Bordeaux by TGV (fast train). My guess is that in February you can get into wineries that would be impossible gets other times of the year. No hoards of tourists there to compete with you. Less if any work in the vineyards. Note that a TGV to Burgundy takes about 1 1/2 hours while one to Bordeaux is about 4 hours. So, you can easily combine a couple of days in wine regions with some days in Paris. In fact, one time I took a TGV to Burgundy in the morning and went back to Paris in the evening and just spent one day in Burgundy (obviously, this limitation was not my idea). It was in 2002 and was my first visit at Truchot. See my avatar for picture from that visit.

And, the food in Burgundy in particular is just fabulous.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13559
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#36 Post by Jay Miller » September 27th, 2018, 7:09 am

One option is Hotel Relais Saint Germain. It's old fashioned and a touch shabby but you get a fantastic breakfast and first call on dinner reservations downstairs at Le Comptoir de Relais. And at least in November the restaurant offered outside seating with heaters and blankets which was a lot of fun and totally charming.

Before our travel plans changed to Japan we were going to stay there at least a few nights.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11385
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#37 Post by alan weinberg » September 27th, 2018, 11:53 am

Corey N. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 12:31 pm
Thanks gents. I'll focus my search in the 6th arrondissement.
Relais Christine

User avatar
John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2915
Joined: January 28th, 2009, 1:27 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#38 Post by John Davis » September 27th, 2018, 1:06 pm

alan weinberg wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 11:53 am
Corey N. wrote:
September 20th, 2018, 12:31 pm
Thanks gents. I'll focus my search in the 6th arrondissement.
Relais Christine
Very possibly our next hotel in Paris.

JD
ITB

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11028
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#39 Post by Richard T r i m p i » September 27th, 2018, 3:51 pm

Stayed at the Hotel Saint Paul Rive Gauche in the 6e in January maybe 10 years ago. Still appears to be a good QPR for downtown. Close to lots of options. Relais Christine might be a bit closer (down the hill) rather than near the Jardin Luxembourg.

RT

User avatar
Jeremy Holmes
Posts: 6457
Joined: April 28th, 2010, 3:50 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#40 Post by Jeremy Holmes » September 27th, 2018, 5:37 pm

Artus Hôtel on Ruse de Buci in the 6th is outstanding. The General Manager is a chap named Sanjay, one of the most hospitable fellows you are likely to meet.
ITB

Michael Klein
Posts: 416
Joined: March 24th, 2015, 10:01 am

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#41 Post by Michael Klein » October 1st, 2018, 8:53 am

Drifting a little bit here (sorry to rob your thread, Corey!) but does anyone have a rec on where to go in Burgundy if I were to head there for a couple nights?

My thought is I will land around 9a at CDG and can take the TGV direct from there to somewhere like Dijon, Lyon or Beaune.

Does anyone have a strong feeling on where to visit? I will be alone and without a car. Looking for good food and maybe a few sights to see. Obviously, wine would be a focus.

Thank you!

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4779
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#42 Post by M.Kaplan » October 1st, 2018, 9:35 am

I'm writing this in the bar at the Lutetia, which has undergone (and almost completed) a 4 year, 250+million euro renovation. It is absolutely beautiful. The hotel is running a reopening promotion, with rooms 'discounted' to 700-ish euros/night. Our rental apt is around the corner, so I grab a drink here most afternoons on the way home. We're happy in our two bedroom duplex apartment; it is our 6th month-long stay in it. If you are interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the leasing agent. It is not inexpensive, but less than the Lutetia charges for a nice room and around the same price as Relais Christine, which I also like. If you look into staying at Relais Christine, ask for a room that isn't on the street, as the movie theater opposite generates noise late at night when people leave. I am also very fond of Relais Christine's sister hotel, Le Pavillon de la Reine, on the Place des Voges in the Marais. Also worth noting that Hoxton has recently opened a hotel in the Marais. I suspect that hotel rates are much more favorable in February than October. Uber and Taxify are better than taxis, in my opinion. And, as I've noted previously, I prefer buses to the Metro except during rush hour or for very long cross town trips. Central Paris is much smaller than it seems while traveling underground.
---Mark

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4779
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#43 Post by M.Kaplan » October 2nd, 2018, 7:48 am

PS The Lutetia Signature Negroni (Bombay Gin, mélange de vermouths italiens, Picon, Cynar) is a beauty of a cocktail.

PPS Lime and Bird scooters are here and offer a very fun way to bop around Paris. The right bank of the Seine has miles of path without cars to ride/walk/scooter on. Most highly recommended (but maybe not in February).
---Mark

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2849
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#44 Post by Mike Cohen » October 2nd, 2018, 7:52 am

M.Kaplan wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 7:48 am
PS The Lutetia Signature Negroni (Bombay Gin, mélange de vermouths italiens, Picon, Cynar) is a beauty of a cocktail.

PPS Lime and Bird scooters are here and offer a very fun way to bop around Paris. The right bank of the Seine has miles of path without cars to ride/walk/scooter on. Most highly recommended (but maybe not in February).
Mark,

Ask for the ratios/recipe for the Negroni!!!

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15948
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#45 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2018, 5:22 am

Michael Klein wrote:
October 1st, 2018, 8:53 am
Drifting a little bit here (sorry to rob your thread, Corey!) but does anyone have a rec on where to go in Burgundy if I were to head there for a couple nights?

My thought is I will land around 9a at CDG and can take the TGV direct from there to somewhere like Dijon, Lyon or Beaune.

Does anyone have a strong feeling on where to visit? I will be alone and without a car. Looking for good food and maybe a few sights to see. Obviously, wine would be a focus.

Thank you!
1. YOU NEED A CAR. Rent a car at the train station in either Dijon (or Beaune if you go there). Most of the interesting things winewise are outside the cities.


2. You should be headquartered in Beaune for wine. In Beaune, if you want to stay cheaply, there is an Ibis Styles hotel that is right on the ring road that surrounds the city. Basic, but clean and nice and with breakfast included.


3. Contact info for producers: https://www.burgundy-report.com/discove ... cer-links/ and https://www.bourgogne-wines.com/our-exp ... ,9366.html? If you are truly carless (a huge mistake), you can go to Bouchard and Drouhin in Beaune (both have costs for tours and tasting).

4. Restaurants we have enjoyed include Aupres du Clocher in Pommard (need a car to get there) and in Beaune, Ma Cuisine, Relais de Saulx (wonderful small place run by a young couple with the husband (chef) and wife (runs the front of the place)) and Maison du Columbier (wonderful wine bar with really excellent food and a great wine list).

5. In addition to making any appointments with wine producers, do not ignore the Caveaus in many villages where you can taste (generally for a price) many wines from producers from the village. My favorite is the Caveau de Chassagne Montrachet.

6. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=153014&p=2546528&hi ... t#p2546528
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Barry L i p t o n
Posts: 2708
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#46 Post by Barry L i p t o n » October 4th, 2018, 8:40 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 27th, 2018, 5:50 am
One idea. Fly to Paris, then go to Burgundy or Bordeaux by TGV (fast train). My guess is that in February you can get into wineries that would be impossible gets other times of the year. No hoards of tourists there to compete with you. Less if any work in the vineyards. Note that a TGV to Burgundy takes about 1 1/2 hours while one to Bordeaux is about 4 hours. So, you can easily combine a couple of days in wine regions with some days in Paris. In fact, one time I took a TGV to Burgundy in the morning and went back to Paris in the evening and just spent one day in Burgundy (obviously, this limitation was not my idea). It was in 2002 and was my first visit at Truchot. See my avatar for picture from that visit.

And, the food in Burgundy in particular is just fabulous.
Great time to chat with the winemakers, but the cellars will be very cold.

Are there any different considerations for January? (I will be staying in the 1er, and have my hotels semi-figured out).

User avatar
Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 15948
Joined: May 30th, 2009, 8:37 am
Location: Rockville, MD

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#47 Post by Howard Cooper » October 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm

The cellars are always cold. The difference I assume would be that in January or February the outside also would be cold (never been in January or February so have only a limited ability to comment.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

User avatar
Richard T r i m p i
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 11028
Joined: September 11th, 2009, 1:29 pm
Location: Close to William Penn's Walking Purchase

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#48 Post by Richard T r i m p i » October 5th, 2018, 8:52 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm
The cellars are always cold. The difference I assume would be that in January or February the outside also would be cold (never been in January or February so have only a limited ability to comment.
In January, the cellars almost feel warm compared to outside. You'll want/need layers. The cold seems more biting in Burgundy in the Winter....apparently 5F+ degrees colder than Paris. Dijon is roughly comparable to the NYC area in January.

RT

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4712
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#49 Post by Michel Abood » October 5th, 2018, 10:09 am

Richard T r i m p i wrote:
October 5th, 2018, 8:52 am
Howard Cooper wrote:
October 4th, 2018, 2:13 pm
The cellars are always cold. The difference I assume would be that in January or February the outside also would be cold (never been in January or February so have only a limited ability to comment.
In January, the cellars almost feel warm compared to outside. You'll want/need layers. The cold seems more biting in Burgundy in the Winter....apparently 5F+ degrees colder than Paris. Dijon is roughly comparable to the NYC area in January.

RT
It's more humid in winter in Burgundy, so the cold can get really biting (I once tasted in Burgundy during a February cold snap and you couldn't taste any fruit, the wines were just way too cold).
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
LoriMcLaughlin
Posts: 247
Joined: February 12th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Location: Greer, SC

Re: Paris in February? Where to Stay?

#50 Post by LoriMcLaughlin » October 6th, 2018, 6:38 pm

We went to Paris/Chamoagne for Valentines Day last year. We had decent weather - cold but clear in Reims, rainy in Paris. For the majority of the trip, I wore a leather coat and that was warm enough.

We rented a car on arrival and drove to Reims. We stayed at a beautiful apartment right around the corner from Reims Cathedral owned by Gen George Patton’s granddaughter. It’s on VRBO and I can send a link if you are interested. Several of the champagne houses were closed for tours at this time - we were celebrating our nephews 21st birthday and ended up at Tattinger and Vranken/Pommery in Reims and then a drive to Franck Bonville in Avize. Vranken for the Art Deco house across the street from Pommery and a short walk to Les Crayeres for lunch. C.Comme in Epernay for lunch and drinks/apps at a wine bar in Reims.

On the return to Paris, we spent an afternoon at Chantilly and then passed central Paris for a weekend alone at the Caudalie spa on the outskirts near Versailles at Les Etang de Corot.

Great for a long weekend.

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”