Oregon trip . . . first impressions of Portland

My wife and I arrived at PDX on a Sunday afternoon, with a carry-on and a backpack each (we are more and more trying to travel light). The airport makes a nice first impression: clean, fully and attractively carpeted, and a small selection of tasteful storefronts. We decided to take the MAX red line from the Airport to our downtown hotel and we were surprised to see that we are regarded as “Honored” citizens by the transportation system in Portland. Inside the train itself we sat in the “priority” area reserved for seniors and handicapped. Very clean and comfortable. Within a few minutes we passed a park that had an extensive trail system for off-road biking and a lot of people were out there using it. All in all, the first minutes in Portland suggested a caring, people oriented, “outdoorsy” culture. Kind of cool!
Further down the line a bit, we began to see numbers of homeless people hanging out near the station stops. Many appeared to be mentally ill or under the influence. My wife pointed out the first of many tents and encampments set up here and there along the route into the city. We passed a stop that had some kind of outdoor market going and only feet away were several homeless people sprawled out on the sidewalk. Kind of unsettling!
We will be in the city for three days, and will try to keep our minds and other senses open to experience what I am sure will be many other sides of Portland . . .

Hi Jim, my wife and I spent two weeks traveling Washington and Oregon this time last year. Your initial impressions mirror my memories of Portland. I have had the pleasure of traveling to many cities across our great nation and the homeless situation in Portland is the most dire that I have ever witnessed. With that said, while in the city proper be sure to check out Powell’s city of books as well as tasting your way through a few of the food truck pods. The brewery scene is incredible, with Deschutes being my personal favorite. If you or your wife are interested in hard cider, Reverend Nat’s cider is a must see.

If you are venturing in to the Willamette Valley I am happy to provide some winery recommendations in that area. Unfortunately the gorge fire kept us out of the CRG AVA and prevented us from visiting the Yakama, WA wine areas that we had planned.

Enjoy Oregon!

Downtown Portland has a lot of homeless (but Seattle is worse). If you venture to other neighborhoods, you likely won’t see any/many. Unfortunately, homelessness is an issue that neither Portland, Seattle nor other large, thriving cities have been able to solve.

There are plenty of great things to doin Portland. I doubt your initial impressions will come to define/impact your trip.

I was just in Portland for Feast Portland and was very impressed. The architecture and brickwork is beautiful and the all the public fountains, both for drinking and display are great. All the public art, the great drinking culture, the wonderful food scene. A really fine public transit system. I was most impressed with generous, polite, and friendly people. They were welcoming and helpful and patient. Spent Sunday morning in a slight drizzle and an 45 minute queue for biscuits in a part of town that showed this truly multicultural city at its best-(the biscuits were worth the wait!)
The homeless problem is really in your face. I am used to the major problem here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but thought it was the unreal real estate markets that made it so bad here. I was kinda stunned by the level in Portland. Even here, tho, I found respectful attitudes. Loved the town

Pine State Biscuits? I love that place and try to go there for breakfast whenever I’m in Portland for work.

That’s the place!

Toad Stool Cupcakes