Laguna, CA

Headed to Laguna next week. Never spent much time in the area. Any suggestions for restaurants? How about some good wine shops? Anything else not to miss?

Lived in the area for a few years, but have not been back for an equally long period.

The OC flashy scene: Javiers (Mexican food not so good, drinks good, scene is what you are there for… I think Thursday eve is when the lambos are more likely to come out, but I don’t recall)
My favorite Mexican to eat: Carmelitas across from Main Beach (I used to get the Tampiqueno), more of a casual place but got popular during tail end of my time there
Locals favorite, Brunch or backup for Dinner: Nick’s Laguna Beach (reminds me of Houstons for consistency)
Other backup options: Watermarc right next to Nicks was good, 230 Forest was good but less a scene than Nicks or Watermarc
Roof top drinks: The Rooftop
Contemporary: Broadway
Burritos: La Sirena Grill
Fancy brunch: Montage hotel
Fast food fish tacos: Wahoos
Hole in wall Argentine Steaks: Maro Wood Grill (I think they had a reaonable corkage policy too)
Milk shakes: Ruby’s on the 101 inbetween Corona Del Mar & Laguna Beach, overlooking Crystal Cove beach
Avoid: Las Brisas (good view, popular for brunch, but food is really bad… tourist spot), Tamarind (is it still open? It’s not same as London).
Caribbean hole in wall: Evas
Dining on the beach: Beachcombers on Crystal Cove has a restaurant on the beach (requires reservations in advance), book near sunset and walk the beach
Good farmers market on weekends (has some tamale and empanada options)
Casual ?vegan?/?mediterranean cafe? Zeytoon
Best italian: actually a hole-in wall near the airport… Il Barone… difficult to find good Italian in the OC

Most of these recommendations are breezy, cali-style. Broadway is probably the “fanciest”, although Javiers is the “most showy”. But all of these are places I could go in jeans and a t-shirt. Its southern calif after all.

For me, the Top 5 that capture the area would be: Javiers (for scene), Rubys (for milk shake and fries overlooking Crystal Cove), Nicks (for a “locals” lunch), La Sirena Grill (for “locals” burrito, I preferred the smaller Laguna location over the new ones they opened), Beach Combers at sunset. Pretty casual overall, but those are the places that remind me of Laguna Beach.

Other tips are:
Crystal Cove beach is better than Laguna Beach at sunset Bigger/less crowded). Great sunset photos! Would attach one, but don’t know how to do so!
For Golf, you have Pelican Hill (super fancy) and the locals 9 hole course in South laguna is very good (small, plays fast, but scenic/cheap)
Fashion Island in Newport has some restaurants (True Food was early-gluten free/fresh option that is nice, Redd-O just opened when I left and I thought it was a miss but still there so maybe that’s an option now?, R&D Kitchen was a consistent casual spot,
Corona Del Mar: Sees Candies, Quiet Woman is a known cougar bar, Rose’s Bakery for donuts, croissant and pastries, the Bungalow is a locals-type steak house

Awesome! Thanks!

Tamarind is no longer open. That location is the new space for Marche Modern which is fantastic. My favorite spot in Laguna is Eva’s Caribbean Kitchen. Not fancy, but I fun local place with authentic caribbean flavors and fun cocktails.

If you’re okay driving north a little, Hachi is a great izakaya in costa mesa. Taco Maria is fantastic for lunch. Aguachile, cesar salad, fish taco, potato/mushroom taco. Makes for a good day.

Carmeita’s has great food.
Broadway for cocktails, wine and food.
Montage is still great, the property is beautiful
Marche Moderne is fantastic, as is Taco Maria and Bluefin in Crystal Cove.

It has been a few years but my last dinner at Broadway was fantastic through and through. Great wine list as well. Probably more west coast based IIRC.

Jason

Broadway is outstanding. Modern American.

Arguably, best French restaurant in OC is Marche Modern. 15 mins north on PCH.