Paris over Christmas

Going to be in Paris for Christmas. Anything of particular seasonal interest during that time? Thanks!

Don’t miss the vin chaud and ice skating at the Hotel de Ville! I actually love both, but vin chaud isn’t for everyone. Christmas is a quiet time in Paris, a lot of people are out of town, hotels and restaurants aren’t full, it’s easy to get reservations in the places that are open. I also like the cooler weather.

There is a huge Christmas market at La Defense and a small one in Saint Germain. We had dinner at Epicure in the Bristol Hotel looking out on the garden with all the trees in lights. A walk down Ave. Montaigne was lit up brightly last year. George V lobby decorations with dinner at le Cinq or just drinks in the bar.

When do they take the decorations down? We’ll be there on Jan 2.

Smaller things, but:

• Galleries Lafayette goes all out, much like NYC department stores - animated/complex window scenes, huge decorations/Christmas trees hanging from the ceiling and music/light shows on the hour. I am not a big fan of malls over the holidays, but Galleries is worth it.
  • Notre Dame has a giant Christmas tree set up in front of it that’s worth seeing. Won’t take you much time, but definitely fun to swing by and see the lights
  • Foodwise - foie gras and all things de Bresse (wrapped in canvas and tied-off with red bows) are stacked deep in the markets. A great block of foie mi cuit is just a can’t miss at this time of year and if you’re in a VRBO and love cooking? Oie (or poulet) de Bresse, without thinking twice. You’ll hemorrhage cash on the oie, but wow it was awesome. I’d wager you’ll spend less cooking the meal of a lifetime than you would at most 2 stars in Paris :wink: Also, keep an eye out for Comte de Noel, which is comte that’s been aged anywhere from 28-36 months (usually around 30).
  • Desserts - deserves its own line. Two things to keep an eye out for - a traditional buche de noel (yule log) and galette des rois (King’s cake, at Epiphany on Jan 6). You’ll see a lot of interpretations of both at patisseries (I could spend days posting links here), but if you’re into sweets and don’t mind paying 30-80 euros for a heck of a dessert, look them up online. Rue de Bac is ground zero for the chocolate/patisserie scene (I need to update my Adventures in Paris thread with some pics). Here’s a cool link with some examples of just how much variation you’ll get, even in the galettes and… don’t break a tooth →
    La Galette des Chefs la Galette du Coeur 2017 - Blog About Paris, Food & Travel

Thanks everyone!

Andrew, when do they take the decorations down? Is it back to normal January 2?

I don’t recall, to be honest. Here’s a pic from Galleries last Christmas though :slight_smile:
4564EDE2-1382-4F9C-841D-6A8DC2FDCC36.jpeg