Sicily? I’ve been warned away.

Upon hearing it as a potential destination for jules and me, my brother tells me that Sicily is “high poverty, high crime, and people burning their garbage piles”

Can anybody here weigh in?

Chris, my wife and I went there for two weeks in the spring a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We rented a car at the airport in Catania and dropped it off at the airport in Palermo. We encountered no problems of any sort. If you PM me your e-mail address, I’ll send you my wife’s trip diary, and, if you like, some photos of the place.

So, it’s a little more “risky” than other parts of Italy but it’s more about petty crime. Like stealing your luggage.

There is great food, scenery, and adventures. It’s just a little less polished than the mainland of Italy.

When I get on a laptop I’ll write up more and PM you.

Edit: everything is here.

Awesome. Thanks Brig

Nonsense. It’s one of the most beautiful places in the world and pretty quiet too. Of course you can have a few issues in certain areas of Palermo and Catania but that 's the case all over the world.

[quote=“brigcampbell”]So, it’s a little more “risky” than other parts of Italy but it’s more about petty crime. Like stealing your luggage.

There is great food, scenery, and adventures. It’s just a little less polished than the mainland of Italy.

When I get on a laptop I’ll write up more and PM you.

Sicily was amazing if you like history, friendly people, great food and wine, and beautiful scenery.

My trip summary of 2 weeks from last fall -

Agree, complete nonsense. Just like anywhere in the world, there are areas to avoid. That said, Taormina is one on the most beautiful high end destinations and a short car ride to Mt Etna. The villages surrounding Mt. Etna are charming and safe and full of wonderful wineries (and restaurants) that are more than welcoming to visitors.

Loved it! Never felt unsafe. Driving trip beginning in Taromina ending in Palermo via Agrigrento as well as other stops. If in Taromina highly suggest dinner at Nero d’Avola, same name as the grape.

Last year we visited Catania, Messina, and Taormina. and some small mountain towns as well including Castelmola. We visited Mt. Etna too. We loved the visit, the food, the scenery, and just about everything. Everywhere has crime. Always be watchful and never flash cash or jewelry. Avoid dicey areas and you will have a great time.

Sounds like a typical view from a Northern Italian!

Yes there is poverty, yes there is crime, but neither dominate or define the Island(s). Common sense is required in a number of locations, and as most of us look like foreigners (albeit for some reason I’m mistaken for German more than English!), it makes sense to avoid making really easy targets (and avoid having all money, cards etc. in the same bag). Basic common sense precautions applied, you can pretty much switch off from such concerns for much of the holiday.

Sounds kinda dangerous to me… [wink.gif]

I like vacationing there because I have my pick of luggage and nobody hassles me if I need to burn a little garbage.

Total BS. Just returned a week ago. PM if you have any questions.