D.C. and Pittsburgh

Cross-posting here after doing so on the Epicurean Page.

Looking for entertainment and restaurant reccos for D.C. and Pittsburgh. Even Hotels if someone has favorites in the downtown areas, or on the edge in D.C. Hotel-wise, looking to do nice but not necessarily highest end. Will have more time in D.C… Planning to do one high end dinner in D.C. (maybe Minibar) and mix in some more moderate or even casual spots, especially for lunch. I booked a table at Red Hen one night. Any ideas for someplace with some regional/Mid-Atlantic cuisine or a good seafood shack? In Pitt., we only have two dinners. One will probably be at a Pirates game. Anywhere near the ballpark for happy hour?. I want to eat up on Mt Washington somewhere nice the other night, so leaning toward someone’s reccos of Altius.

My wife has never been to either place. We’ll do the monuments, the Capitol, and part of Smithsonian. Other ideas? In Pitt we’ll visit my hometown area of Bethel Park, Warhol Museum, take a river “cruise” and probably go to Phipps Conservatory.

You might consider a lunch or dinner at Black Salt out on MacArthur Boulevard–very good food and it’s next door to MacArthur’s. Corkage is $25. You’d definitely need to cab it, however. Central Michel Richard on Pennsylvania is easily walkable from the Mall and a nice place to have a post-National Gallery lunch. The Old Ebbitt is a very popular spot for lunch on 15th across from the Treasury. Marcel’s is an excellent fine-dining spot. Kellari on K near Connecticut offers a very nice businessman’s lunch.

I’ll provide as much info as I can, but you need to be more specific about the kinds of things that would interest you (other than a trip to Nats Park).

I have never been to Minibar so I can’t comment on that, but there are a number of luxe options locally that would interest me more. Komi, Pineapples and Pearls, Metier, and Del Mar leap to mind.

A Rake’s Progress and the Dabney purport to serve regional cuisine. Quarterdeck is the best crabhouse I know of in the close surrounding area. Whaley’s and several Hank’s Oyster bars have decent seafood in a non-shack ambience.

Sushi Taro is easily my favorite restaurant in DC. The counter is quite the experience if a bit more avant garde when compared to more “traditional omakase”

The Dabney is another great option and their somm Alex Zink runs one of the best programs in town

I would add that Etto is an excellent spot for a casual evening in DC in a very busy part of town. Be sure to order the small plates sometime I don’t even get their delicious pizza!

I have not personally been to A Rake’s Progress but it is in the Line Hotel which is the newest, hottest boutique hotel in DC.

If you are coming soon the National Arboretum would be worth a visit as everything is blooming!

The National Cathedral is a tourist spot that sometimes gets ignored due to its religious connotations but really is worth a visit. You can go to the top level and it has some of the best views of the city. The Space Window has a piece of lunar rock and on the outside the grosteques can be interesting animals and other non traditional icons such as Darth Vader!

The Anthem is a really nice music venue that is down on the waterfront that recently opened

You can eat at Del Mar before a show at the Anthem!

Entertainment in the DC area

Historical - Mount Vernon, Arlington Cemetary, drive a couple of hours north and visit Gettyburg
Sports - Nats Park
Museums - Air and Space annex by Dulles Airport, National Gallery, American History Museum
Arena Stage - great local theatre

Restaurants not mentioned above

Bistro Provence - Great French food but in Bethesda
Breska
Central
Dinos - excellent Italian food, less upscale (excellent Italian wine list Sip - Dino's Grotto)
Fiola’s - excellent Italian food, more upscale

Lunch

Go to the cafe on the main floor of the National Gallery
Nat’s Park

I think happy hours at PNC Park would be beer centered sports bars, not that there is anything wrong with that. There is Hyde Park steakhouse nearby but I don’t think its bar is anything special, other than being the only upscale bar near the stadium on the north side.
On 6th street opposite Heinz Hall are Butcher and Rye, a hipster bar (for Pittsburgh), Tako for tacos, margaritas and the like (pretty loud), Meat and Potatoes for food and cocktails (pre-theater, non-blue haired crowd). These three are part of the same group along with Pork and Beans with BBQ and a decent bar.

In pittsburgh, the Fairmont is the only high end hotel. It’s on 6th Street opposite Heinz Hall and two blocks from The Clemente Bridge (6th Street). Lots of new hotels, mostly the usual mid-priced chains. There is Kimpton hotel downtown and the Embassy Suites is new but you may not need a suite. I stayed in a two bedroom but hear the other suites are nice.
I’m checking on bars near the stadium, any idea what you’re looking for?
Do you like walking? Warhol is on the North side near PNC Park. From a downtown hotel you can walk to Point State Park at the confluence of the Three Rivers. In the Park are the old block house and a museum as well as the fountain. You could walk over the I-279 bridge to the north side and Heinz Field and theto PNC and Warhol Museum. The boat rides are on the south side at Station Square a short walk across the Smithfield Bridge. There is also a ferry to the stadium for games from Station Square. I’ve taken the boat tour, it’s Ok, not really a must on a two day stay.

THANKS for all the ideas. We will definitely use many of them.

Neal, we won’t beat ourselves to death trying to see everything but will look to do a blend of major museums and sites, including some art, and then do dinners, maybe a game, and maybe some music or a show at night. I took a quick look and there don’t seem to be any good shows at Anthem or larger venues, so maybe a jazz/blues club. Might hit a Nats game.

We’re there for five nights, for full days. Staying at the Watergate. We won’t have a car, but might find a way to get out to Mt. Vernon or something. We’ll go for one really nice dinner and fill in with a couple of middle tier dinners and a couple of casual dinners. I booked Red Hen for one dinner and will definitely do a seafood/crab place another night. We’re casual lunch people and will look for those near attractions.

In Pitt I booked Altius for one night and we’re going to a Pirates game the other night so will probably has a happy hour snack prior and grab something at the ballpark. We’re going to need one more lunch around downtown Pitt.

Not much to add except I assume dinner in Mt Washington would include a trip on the incline? If it’s a clear day/night that is worth it on its own. Pairing it with a trip to/from a dinner spot is a great idea.

The Duquesne Incline takes you up to Altius and I consider it the better of the two inclines for the view. You can walk to the Duquesne incline from downtown via Point state Park over the Fort Duquesne bridge and the Uber back to downtown after dinner. The walk is about a mile.

The Mon incline is opposite Station Square but at the other end of Mount Washington and the walk to the restaurants is relatively long but the view would be good. The incline ride’s view depends on getting into the lower part of the cab.

John, as a fellow relocated Yinzer can I suggest something a bit out of the way (10-15 minute Uber) and try to make time for Lawrenceville and The Strip? Particularly in the Strip, if you are looking for lunch I suggest a place called Gaucho Parilla Argentina. The line can be out the door most days but the meats are quite good. Its BYOB spot as well. For Lawrenceville if you have time there is a wine bar, Allegheny Wine Mixer, that’s a bit funky (hipster) but not bad at all. The restaurant Cure is well worth the visit too.

John

The Carnegie Natural History Museum in Oakland has a great dinosaur collection

PS - I got married in Phipps Conservatory on a hot day in July - a Greenhouse in July wasn’t the greatest of ideas!

PPS The Mister Rogers statue is in Point State Park, and is a must for a photo op.

Tom - isn’t the Renaissance right by the Clemente Bridge (the old Heaven night club)??

Yinzers Unite!!

Yes, the Renaissance is at the Clemente bridge.
Is there a Mr. Rogers statue in point state park?

The statue is near Heinz Field along the river.

It’s been awhile - have they moved it? I believe it was previously in the park itself, near the “pools” where folks threw coins into.

John - a friend of mine was back in the Burgh, had dinner at Alla Famiglia, and was wowed by the experience and food.

Apparently, the area has improved, and is not so shady anymore.

I’m going in a couple of weeks, two bottle max for byob (I assume there’s a corkage fee). I’ll report back. The area isn’t the greatest but they offer shuttle service from downtown and valet parking.