Quebec City - seeking restaurant suggestions

Looking for a couple of restaurant recommendations for Quebec City in May.
Have previously enjoyed Toast! and Chez Boulay andNOT enjoyed Aux Anciens Canadiens.
Laurie Raphael had been suggested. Chez Muffy looks good also.

Looking for one high end, maybe tasting menu but not necessarily, and one more mid level.
Would like to get a good flavour of current Quebecois cuisine.

Merci!

(Edited for typos)

It was a few years ago that I visited but Laurie Raphael was not worthwhile. However, http://www.clocherpenche.ca/en/ was quite good, and recommended here on an old thread.

Any one been to IX? Is it French - Quebec or American cuisine?

Last time there we thought both L’Echaude & Bistro Boreal were excellent. Both in old city (Echaude down the hill in the old port). Have heard good things about L’Affaire est Ketchup, but we just don’t feel like doing anything but walking once we’re in town, so haven’t gone. Saint Amour is the high-end stand-by if you haven’t been. Same owner (Boulay) as Boreal.

We had a really fun & great dinner at the very modest “english” pub, Pub St Alexandre on Rue St Jean just across from Boreal one night. Went in with the kids with zero expectations, but they had great “french food”. Really over delivered on the food if you’re ok with a pub setting.

Thanks for the comments.
We are booked in L’Echaude, Chez Muffy and St Amour. (Playing it safe, our friends are ‘recent foodies’; and keeping focus on French / Canadian so Boulay did not make the cut, that was a tough one; liewise between St Amour & Laurie Raphael. Keeping IX for a future visit).
Will report back (we go May 10)

If you have lunch slots open, I enjoyed Cafe du Monde.
A bit hard to find among government buildings along the river, but nice views and good QPR.

Thanks for that suggestion, its already on our radar! We had a great brunch there last year. Food was well executed and lively atmosphere and as you say terrific views make it excellent lunch spot. However, with our dinner plans I think we will be keeping lunches very light indeed! :slight_smile:

Here are few we really enjoyed

Richard, how were they?

I’ve booked Muffy and looking to do the same for St Amour.

Looking at Chez Boulay and Clocher for lunches.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

I was going to post more fully when I get a moment.
In brief: L’Echaude was very good, Chez Muffy was excellent, St Amour very good.
Some one else here put it well I think. If you haven’t been then do St Amour. I’d add: especially if you like high end protein.
Myself next time would repeat Chez Muffy , but not St Amour. It’s the better ‘experience’ and outstanding wine service.
I can also recommend Boulay from previous brunch have not had dinner.

Thank you, sir!

Some one else here mentioned Clocher favourably iirc.
I was intrigued by IX but wasn’t sure it would appeal to rest of our party. You might check that out if it appeals to you, maybe less ‘mainstream’ (though for these days perhaps it I’d!).

I see IX is the #1 restaurant on Trip Advisor and it sounds like our kind of place. Reservation request sent. That and Muffy should make 2 great nights.

… great, and I suspect, quite different! Looking forward to hearing about IX.

I’ve booked reservations at:

IX Pour Bistro
Restaurant L’Initiale
Restaurant Tanière 3

I’ll post some impressions when we settle in and return.