Christmas in Europe

This is a pretty broad question, but how is Europe during the Christmas season? I’ve never been that time of year.

My daughter is studying overseas next year (in Florence) and we are thinking of spending the holidays over there. Would be OK moving around if there were particular places worth going to.

Thanks in advance.

Haven’t been but have always wanted to go to Alsace during Christmas. Looks like it’s straight out of a fairytale. Been to London a couple times for Christmas but could do without it. Im sure there are much better places to go.

I lived in London for a couple years and have traveled around Europe around the holidays for the last several years. Its one of my wife’s and my favorite times to be in Europe - crowds are limited at the various tourist sights and they really go all out for the Christmas season. Plus you have the added bonus of all the Christmas markets in most of the main squares. I would definitely recommend visiting around the holidays.

Our favorite place over Chrismas is London - everywhere in central London really goes all out for the holiday, everything is generally open and their New Year’s Eve celebration is top notch too. champagne.gif Our favorite activity is to go to midnight service in Westminster Abbey on Christmas Eve. It’s free (just get tickets when they are made available in November) and a really special event, even if you aren’t particularly religious.

Germany/Austria are also very nice around Christmas - lots of holiday markets everywhere, Gluhwein and usually a light dusting of snow that makes everything very pretty. We particularly enjoyed Berlin, Munich, Vienna, Salzburg and Innsbruck (in no particular order). Just make sure that you read up on what is/is not open on Christmas (and Boxing Day!) so that you don’t plan on being able to do something and then find that everything is shut down for the day.

I’d also add that the Christmas “season” is longer than it is here in the USA, partly because there is no Thanksgiving. In our neighborhood in London it was normal to see Christmas decorations everywhere in mid-November. So you can travel in late November and still get most of the effect of the Christmas season.

Spent Christmas at Alsace in 2016 and the towns, whether the larger Strasbourg or the smaller ones by Route de Vins, were all beautifully lit up and breathtakingly decorated. Come evening, the locals flock out to the main streets and squares and the Christmas markets open up that can make an unforgettable visit for an out-of-towner. Drove out 1 hour on day trips to a couple of towns in Germany’s Black Forest to experience more of the same.

In 2012, spent Christmas holidays in Rome/Florence and didn’t feel as much Christmassy as I was hoping for. Loved the lights that silhouetted the Colosseum, the Forum, the vatican and the Pantheon. Very busy all over with locals and gazillon of visitors.

I’m not sure you can generalise. Europe is pretty big and varied.

The German markets are fun. But once you’ve been to one…

Usually go after Christmas through New Years. Have been to S. Spain, Lisbon and Amsterdam/Belgium in 3 separate trips. I enjoy it. NYE seem more fun and less commercialized then in the states. Weather can vary I much prefer the slightly warmer temps of Southern Europe. Amsterdam was cold… Less crowded but lots of Europeans on holiday also.

That being said this year we are heading to Bonaire in search of warm/hot weather.

George

Thanks everyone.

Managed to put a couple of award tickets on hold, 12/25 to 1/8.

Looking at London for the first week, is there anyplace lively for 1/2 to 1/8 in the southern part of Europe? Or is Paris my best bet from London (did 9 days over thanksgiving last year, but am worried two weeks of that cold would be too much).

Most of the Mediterranean holiday areas in Europe somewhat close down in the winter. The reality is that even places like Barcelona, Italy and Greece are only in the high 50’s that time of year. I would say you are better off embracing the winter and doing something in Paris, Zurich, Munich etc.

Be sure to visit Regent Street, they had some of the best street decorations when we were there around the start of the season. Put NYC holiday lights to shame really.

Yep, was there over thanksgiving- Brits are into full Xmas mode by then. It was fun to to go into the lobby of Claridges to see the tree go up.