Bend, Oregon recommendations

Heading there in a couple weeks, already booked a nice VRBO unit for lodging (but always open for more ideas for future trips). Mostly looking for good dining options, breweries and things to do while there. Staying 7 nights, so no need for gourmet every night. Just me, so open to almost anything. Thanks in advance.

I love Trattoria Sbandati.

Breweries - Crux Fermentation Project, Ale Apothecary, and Monkless Belgian Ales.

I would add Boneyard, but unless they’ve changed they are growler fills only.

Crux really is great. Nice place to hang out, too.

I second Trattoria Sbandati - very good Italian. Ariana is also quite good. Crux can get very crowded at times. For Pub food, I think Deschutes gets overlooked just because they’re not the “flavor of the month”. Worthy is interesting just to see what $5 million will get you in the way of a brewery (their hoppy beers are pretty good too).

I really like the High desert museum if you’re looking for something to do.

Coffee: Lone Pine Roasters, Backporch, Thump

Sandwiches: Primal Cuts (nice tap list too), Planker

Dinner: Joolz, Drake

Generally though, don’t get your hopes up. It’s not a great food destination. I’d just buy some nice meat at Primal or Pono Soul Farm and cook it yourself.

Cravin’s Candy Emporium… don’t judge me.

I’ve been to the High Desert Museum a couple times, it’s outstanding. I’m going to skip the candy emporium, Todd. Kind of defeats the purpose of taking my diabetes pills!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ll give a number of them a try and report back.

No worries, have fun. This is a great short hike: https://www.hikespeak.com/trails/lava-butte-hike-newburry-nvm-bend/

Ariana and 10 Barrel Brewing were my favorites when I lived in Bend.
Both are on the West side.

A chef friend of mine knows the chef at Washington, and also mentioned prime rib at Baldy’s BBQ on Fri/Sat nights. Any feedback on those?

Ariana has consistently been the best restaurant in town for me.

900 Wall is a cool room with consistent food and wine.

Bos Taurus has been pretty good as well.

I like the food at Crux.
The grilled cheese in particular.

Sparrow Bakery is worth a stop as well.

Lava River Caves! Great fun

The meat and cheese platter at Crux after the Beer Chase in 2016 is one of the best (or at least most memorable) meals of my life. I was a bit loopy and dehydrated, however, which may affect the memory.

Last year I had an Albariño sour there that is a top 10 beer I’ve ever had.

Looks cool, but closed until May, so it would have to be a future trip. Thanks.

Actually up close to this is the lava cast forest, which is also very interesting. Shows how the lava overwhelmed a forest and left behind castings of all the trees. I think I liked it better because it wasn’t enclosed. The far end of the cave is rather claustrophobic. BTW, the whole Newberry Crater area should be a National Park.

Boneyard is great, just don’t expect a fancy tasting room. Last time I was there I ended up doing “shot-skis” of Notorious. Great story that is not suitable for a public board :smiley:

Totally agree with Rick on Deschutes, plus they just have some great beers, flavor of the month or not.

Other consideration, since you’re showing Seattle as home… consider swinging down via Hood River and stopping at pFriem on the way. Great stop to break up the drive, they have a nicer restaurant than I expected (including a kids section) and the beer is great.

great suggestion to hit Pfriem. Some of the best beers in America right now.

VRBO’d in Bend this weekend. Primal Cuts is great for a sandwich and beer - tap selection was top notch, with Boneyard, Crux, Barley Browns, Bevel (new) and a couple of others in the line-up.

Picked up some prime rib-eyes and smoked kielbasa and am enjoying them with quite a bit of Rick’s beer, which we picked up at Newport Market.

The highlight of my trip was the Porkstrami sandwich at Primal Cuts, and one of Rick’s beers on tap.