Rome area hotel question

Trying to pick the right area to get three nights worth of hotel. I have been looking at the area around the Pantheon and south of there Navona I think it’s called as well as the colosseum area. Mostly walking and touring those two areas and the Vatican. Hoping for great restaurants and a little night life. Trying to keep it under $200 a night

Thoughts?

Piazza Navona is a few blocks pretty much straight west (not south) from Pantheon.

We visited Rome last September, and stayed right on the Largo di Torre Argentina, which is south of Pantheon (about halfway between Pantheon and the bridge over the Tiber to Trastevere). We really liked that location, as it was easily walkable to many of the sights we wanted to visit, but was also not overrun with other tourists. Vatican would be a pretty long hike from there, but was a pretty easy cab ride. Probably would not stay again at the same hotel (was a bit “spartan”), but would definitely consider that area again.

We typically stay between Trevi Fountain and the Tiber River (Pantheon/Navona area that you mentioned) and recommend staying within that part of the city. I would avoid the Colosseum area. There is not much there - either sights (other than the Colosseum, obviously) or restaurants. If this is your first time in Rome, staying near Piazza Navona will give you great access to most of the sights and many good restaurants.

Thank you, yes it is our first time staying there. I don’t want to end up in some desolate area for three days/ nights. Would like to stay safe as well as we intend to do mostly walking day and night time.

Take a look at Piccolo Trevi. We stayed there last summer and really enjoyed it. The rates are very, very good so we were initially a little concerned that it might not be as advertised but it was, in fact, very nice. The only downside is that that there is no elevator, which was less than ideal when travelling with our parents. However, the location is literally around the corner from the Trevi fountain. While the Piazza Novana area is a bit nicer, we were no more than a 15 minute walk from most anywhere we wanted to go and close to bus and train lines for those places that are a bit further out. It is at least worth a look for sheer value.

Nazionale. http://www.hotelnazionale.it/en/4-star-hotel-rome/

Less than five minutes walk to Pantheon. 10 minutes at most to Trevi Fountain. Around the corner from the most famous Gelatto place in Rome.

Must be a nice place. Sold out for my dates. Thanks anyways.

My son stayed here last summer. Hotel Navona 3 Stars Rome Historic Centre | Official Website. Clean, very basic, good location, and well priced.

If you want to be in the center at a decent price I highly reccomend booking the apartment at Armando al Pantheon, it’s run by the people that own the restaurant downstairs, they provide breakfast as well. The location couldn’t be better, you are a 3 seconds walk from the Pantheon! Make sure you also eat at the restaurant

Stayed at an extremely nice–and nicely located–B&B called Locande del Sole a couple years back. Not sure what they charge these days.

Restaurant is fabulous. Don’t know anything about apartment.

Certainly agree on the restaurant…wonderful food and merely a stone’s throw from all the awful tourist trap restaurants surrounding the Pantheon.
We stayed at a very nice little hotel relatively close to the Pantheon. Excellent location and walking distance to many excellent restaurants. http://www.pantheoncollection.com/panth … ites-rome/

Very nice and helpful staff plus a beautiful breakfast.

Cheers!
Marshall [berserker.gif]

Don’t know anything about the apartment, but I certainly hope Armando al Pantheon is on your restaurant list. Classic Roman cucina povera, sometimes with a twist for Sat lunch. Just a great lunch place, in general, but be careful eating too late on Sat - they ran out of pajata before our 2pm reservations last time! Well priced, good wine list, my wife and I always try to hit it for a lunch and a dinner.

The Pantheon is kinda the center of Rome - and I agree that the Centro Storico may be your best bet for a first visit - but Rome is fairly compact and staying near the Colosseum is certainly not like staying in the boonies. It’s actually very well located near Trastevere, Testaccio, and Monti, three neighborhoods that deserve a good portion of your time (the latter two will also give you a breather from the tourist throngs who have no idea how great those areas are!). It’s also a relatively short walk to the Campo/Ghetto, Piazza Navona, and Pantheon.

EDIT: Just a bit more info: If you stay near the Colosseum, the major sites you’ll be furthest from are the Piazza del Popolo and the Borghese Gardens/Museum, both of which you absolutely want to experience. The Spanish Steps/Piazza di Spagna is a bit closer, but also relatively far-flung from the Colosseum area (again, nothing is too far away). The area between the Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps (stretching down Via Condotti) is knows as the “trident” and it’s one of the premier shopping areas in the world if you’re so interested. If the dollar is strong when you go, it could be a great shopping opportunity. Also the scene of one of the best evening passeggiattas in Rome.

Finally, Prati is wonderful for shopping and different sort of scene than the rest of Rome, but I would not stay there first visit nor anywhere all that close to the Vatican. Except for Trastevere - which can be a lovely place to stay - I’d locate myself on the other side of the Tiber in Rome proper.

Can not find a menu for Armando al Pantheon. Would you guys suggest reservations for this place or just walk right on in?

Reservations a must for dinner. Always busy.

As I will be there for three days, do you think I can just go there on day one and set that up or do it prior to arrival?

Book online: http://www.armandoalpantheon.it/prenota/

We stayed closer to the Vatican but I think you’re right to be looking around the Piazza Navona area instead as that’s where we ended up spending most of our time.

Though for what it’s worth Trianon Borgo Pio was reasonably priced and quite nice with easy access for an early Vatican tour (which I highly recommend to avoid the crowds - Vatican Breakfast Tour with English-Speaking Guide - Dark Rome) and was around the corner from Hedera which had great gelato. And if you want cheap tacky souvenirs the Vatican area has a higher concentration of shops than anywhere I’ve seen, even Times Square.

Notes from my trip are at the end of this planning thread:

Absolutely book in advance…most of the better Roman restaurants are not very big. In addition, if you are in that area (or even if you are not), I highly recommend http://ilsostegno.it
Wonderful dinner with a predominantly female staff.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]

You’ll find Roman classics - mostly cucina povera style - at really reasonable prices.

For pasta, this is a fantastic place to try the classic “pasta alla gricia” (their cacio e pepe, carbonara, amatriciana, etc., all great, but Armando happens to do gricia very well) and also the ajo, ojo e peperoncino is excellent (chef refers to it as “cuckold’s pasta”, but don’t let that stop ya!).

For secondi, you can usually get the abbacchio scottadito, trippa alla Romana, coda all vaccinara, and a really good duck with prunes dish.

If you’re looking for pajata, that’s often only reserved for Saturday lunch, generally with rigatoni in a tomato sauce (that is to say, not the big plate of milk-fed veal intestines served only in its own milky sauce).

As with many Roman restaurants, CLOSED ON SUNDAYS!!