July 4 travel: Sonoma or Willamette Valley?

Tasked with organizing a weeklong trip for six to the West coast, centered on wine tasting, cooking, and a couple of nice meals out. Unfortunately our only possible travel dates are on/around July 4. I’ve heard and read horror stories about visiting Sonoma and Napa over the July 4 holiday–a combination of costs and massive crowds. Given that, I’m pondering calling an audible, and recommending instead a visit to the Willamette Valley. While one of our travelers prefers Zinfandel/Cabernet/Rhone wines, this person is basically open to travel anywhere with solid options for wine and food. Everyone else is open to exploring.

I’m envisioning a more relaxed and low-key week, with a few days of winery visits along with a rental spot where we can cook, discuss, and enjoy our company.

So, I’m wondering: is Sonoma as busy (and costly) as it sounds over the July 4 holiday? We’ve visited the region before, but only at off-season (we would happily return). To what extent is Sonoma County (or Dry Creek, Healdsburg/Russian River) busier than Willamette over a holiday like July 4?

One last thing: I work ITB in retail, and hope very much to set up meetings with producers whose products we sell (or hope to sell). Is July too busy a time for setting up such tastings in either/both regions?

Thanks, all, for your input. Very much appreciated.

I can’t speak too much for Sonoma, but Napa can be hard to negotiate in the summer. HWY 29 can be a tough to get around but Silverado Trail is a good alternative. The one time I went in summer, it was August, so not too sure about July 4.

I live in Portland so I know Willamette Valley well. July 4 will be busy, but since it falls on a Wednesday, you can go either before or after which will thin the crowd. Newberg is a few miles from the wineries but has an adequate grocery store in Fred Meyers and the best seafood store in the state at NW Seafood. Great meals in Newberg; Recipe part Deux, Painted Lady, Jory. Easy meals at Dos Mundos and Storrs. Barley and Vine is new, I haven’t been yet.
McMinnville will have more wineries (A couple of must stops is Goodfellow and Eyrie) close and a great boutique grocery store. Plus it has several great places to eat. My favorite is Thistle. I can expand if you want.

Dundee sits in between and is closest to more wineries but no grocery store and average to above average restaurants. Dundee Bistro and Red Hills Market (popular for takeout but you can sit) are standouts. Wineries out Worden Hill Road or Breyman Orchard road are all good to great.
Willamette is very relaxed. You won’t find many mansion wineries here.

Traffic wise you’d be best to stay in McMinnville, plus you are closer to wineries south of HWY 99. Newberg is closer to PDX and Portland. No matter what you decide, you have to get fish at NW Seafood. I can help w other wineries as well. Plus, you will find Rhone varieties around in tasting rooms. Fruit comes from WA or Southern OR.

4th of July in Sonoma County is busy if you are going to a River/Lake/Campground. Wine stay, no biggie. If you want to cook you can’t find a better place to shop for fresh ingredients than Sonoma County. Famed horticulturist Luther Burbank called it “The chosen spot on all the Earth”
Sonoma County Meat Co, Flannery Beef (Marin), Llano Seco Pork, Mary’s Chicken, Liberty Duck, Bodega Bay Fisheries, bounty of any item of produce you could want. It an epicurean jackpot.
4th of July being on a Wednesday is perfect. Dine in mid-week, dine out weekend. Fly right into Sonoma County Airport STS. No lines, no hassles. Great wines everywhere, perfect weather…

if you’re going to be in Sonoma on the 4th, be sure to check out the parade on the Square. usually starts around 9:00 am - though the locals are out early making sure to get a spot on the grass - and runs until about 12:00. it’s truly a “small town” vibe, and you can have an open container in the park. plenty of tasting rooms & restaurants, all within walking distance, to visit after it’s done.

Thanks everyone! Super helpful.

Willamette all the way. Done both. Willamette offers lots of interesting wineries to visit, many outstanding smaller restaurants using all locally produced ingredients, and a laid back ambiance not to mention it is beautiful too.

Boy I wish Sonoma County was laid back and beautiful. pileon [wink.gif]