Charleston in early August?

Is Charleston in early August a good idea? The trip would probably include Kiawah.

If you’re going to Kiawah, figure out a way to get on the two private golf courses there. Cassique and The River Course are outstanding. Other than the Ocean Course, the other four public courses there are not that great. The beaches at Kiawah are stunning.

I’m sure you know this, but it will most likely be blazing hot with 100% humidity.

Go some other time…like May or Sept/Oct.
August is just unbearably hot and humid.

We went in May a couple years back…and it was nearly unbearably hot and humid!

Need to finish round by 2-3 pm because around that time the daily summer thunderstorms start.

This. I live in SC. You don’t want to come close to here in July or August.

Third! We made the weekend trip from the Upstate (already hot) to Charleston in August last year, and it killed the A/C in my new car for a week. hahaha

But that being said, Charleston is a beautiful city with wonderful food and culture regardless of the time of year. I’d consider the fall though. Let me know if you want any reccs for where to go!

Charleston is out, we’ll need to go another time.

I grew up in Sumter, the armpit of SC, Charleston is not that bad in the summer. Plus, Mr. Brunson has survived a lot of years there, you could survive a few days.

And The Obstinante Daughter on Sullivan’s Island is a must go restaurant.

I thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Wife and I are going a bit of a SE road trip after flying in to (mid Aug this year) Pensacola FL and renting a car from there. We will be in Gulf Shores, AL for a week and then driving to the Lake Lanier (N/NE of ATL) area for a few days to visit friends, then on to Longs, SC to visit more friends, then we’ll have 2 nights in Charleston before flying back to CO. So, my question;

Any recos on hotels/places to stay in the historic area of Charleston?

Thank you -

Chris

My wife and I have stayed at the Harbourview Inn in Charleston and loved it. It has a great location close to many attractions. They currently have a 20% off incentive to book a room soon.

David

Cam’t gve you Charleston recs but i can give you tons for the emerald coast area an hour or so east of pensacola if you’re interested.

David, thanks for the link.

Dan, I think we have our week in Gulf Shores pretty much filled up w activity but thank you for the offer.

As a side note, back in the days of my golf gluttony, I played 13 rounds in 7 days at Kiawah with my Dad, Uncle, and Cousin. I think this was 2011. Hot AF in late June.

whenever you go, eat at Fig.

If you can get a reservation at this point.

Aug in Chas can be brutally hot. It’s been a rainy summer but hopefully you will have a dry visit. There are lots of hotels/inns for most budgets. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

We loved The Vendue when we went last year.

Thanks to all for the information.

We visit Charleston once or twice a year and we usually stay at the Fulton Lane Inn which is located on King Street just south of Market Street. It’s conveniently located to the retail shopping on King Street, the market, and a short walk to Husk and other great restaurants. Parking can be a challenge in DT Charleston, but FLI shares a large parking lot off of Market Street next to the property. One of the concierge staff, Zu Zu (SP?), is a sweetheart. Enjoy your trip.

James

Quick report. We ended up staying at the Elliot House in the historic area…great location, only complaint would be the very noise AC unit. Ate at Amen, Millers All Day (breakfast/brunch), Poogan’s Smokehouse and Oyster House in the Market area. We also did a small brewery tour thanks to help from Uber.