Italian Trains

Anyone have experience with the Italian trains and larger luggage? I’ve read that they are stored at the end of the train cars. What if I purchase the executive class/first class car will I be able to store it there? Just trying to decide If I want to take the train from Florence to Bologna Airport or just hire a car service. Thanks in advance.

Every European train I have been on has the racks for large luggage at the end of each car. Some also have racks or space in the middle of the car.

We’ve had carry-on size bags on Italian trains and I don’t ever recall having issues.

I thought those were seatings for large Americans?

This has been our experience too, most recently on a trip from Venice to Milan earlier this month. It was helpful to figure out which end of the car had the racks in advance, so you could board through the right door and not have to carry your bags down the aisle the length of the car. Carry on bags and larger (but not huge) luggage fit easily in the overhead racks above the seats.

We were traveling 2nd class and I don’t know if 1st is any different.

We took the 1st class train from Rome to Florence (and back) last September and it was as people say, storage for large pieces at the end of the train.

We trained it from Milan to Parma. The earlier you purchase your tickets, the cheaper they are.

Echoing the comments of earlier posters, and make note of the early purchase for specific trains that Dan mentions. That and occasional promotions can give you very cheap tickets indeed (so cheap you’re thinking there must be a mistake).

We rather enjoy Trenitalia, and trading up to 1st class on the fast Freccia trains is really the smallest of luxuries. That said, it’s worth noting elements that might constitute ‘hassle’

• Platforms that may require lugging bags up & down stairs, made all the more frustrating if there is a late platform change
  • Confusion about where to stand to be near your pre-booked seats. This can be eased by studying the train layouts (usually in/near the ticket hall), but probably online now. You still have to work out which direction the train will arrive from, but usually easy enough to figure out, and then it’s fairly easy to stand near to where your seat will be - and that saves having to carry heavy bags through multiple carriages.
  • Potentially 2 x taxis, plus the train, means a lot more lugging the bags around & fretting than simply a single taxi / car service
  • There are instances of bags being raided by thieves on trains, though Roma appears to be the worst place for this. I’d not be too stressed around Bologna, but can’t speak for Firenze. We’ve never encountered any problems.

Personally we’d take the train - We enjoy it and mostly know what we’re doing (I’ve even helped Italians out when platform changes were announced - as a foreigner I seem to listen harder & to all the announcements). However if you want simplicity and are happy to pay the extra, the car might appeal.

In Switzerland you have to ask once about your train. In Italy you need triangulation. Ask 3 people.

Take the train. It’s fun.

From Florence to bologna you can take the frecciarossa which will be faster and pricier but you will be assigned a seat. Once in bologna you will have to find your own transportation to get to the airport. There is a bus that should run every 20 minutes or so as well.

This was my experience as well.