Lesser known producers to explore in the Mosel and Saar?

My wife and I just booked our travel arrangements for our Mosel trip. We’ll be staying in Trier so that we can easily get to the more classic middle Mosel towns as well as the Saar. I have several producers on my list to try to schedule tastings (Selbach-Oster, JJ Prum, Willi Schaefer, AJ Adam, Julian Hart, Zilliken, Maximin Grunhaus, Peter Lauer) but was curious if there are any hidden gems within the area that you guys recommend visiting (or at least trying their wines) while in the region.

Hofgut Falkenstein, Fritz Haag

Vollenweider and Weiser-Künstler.

Schloss Lieser and Rheinhold Haart.

Sybille Kuntz in Lieser.

Karthäuserhof – super friendly and they open tons of bottles for you. I had basically a marathon session there and my teeth hurt by the time I was finished. But it’s convenient and just across the way from Maximin Grunhaus. (These are both in the Ruwer, btw, not the Saar. Very close to Trier.) These are great visits because they are so different from the middle Mosel properties, in that they both exploit large, contiguous monopole sites.

I wouldn’t say most of these suggestions are ‘lesser known’.

Also I wouldn’t generally bother with lesser known anyway. The wines are more or less the same price at all properties.

Be aware the midddle Mosel is around a 45 min drive from Trier. But an easy one.

I’d suggest Martin Mullen just because of the availability of nature vintages. Other than that you have a good list.

I see on their website they have open hours 9am-5pm during weekdays. Did you still call ahead and make an appointment?

Always make an appointment.

Yes I did - I emailed and it was very easy to set up.