One of Mexico`s finest: La Casa Que Canta

We are in our 6th day of 10 at this fine resort and I feel compelled to once again share the bliss in order for others to at least know about this resort and consider it for a future visit.

I first bought a 5 day stay back in about 2000 in a silent wine auction lot without having any idea as to what I was buying; it just sounded good and looked good and it was time to explore some new travel options. At the end of the 5 days, I realised I made a mistake. I failed to extend it to 10 days.

This place is of classy, rustic traditional Mexican motif, magnificently landscaped, beautifully appointed with quality in mind. There`s a lot of fine Mexican art scattered throughout. Creative fresh flower arrangements are made on the bed daily. A small frig is stocked with beer, water, soda and fruit drinks daily. Our room had a Tequila filled vase with 2 small glasses, salt and fresh lime replenished daily as well. That may be a mistake as they do this as a compliment on the first day only as a rule. Also daily cleaning and changeout is done thoroughly and with love.

The resort is located in the hub of a horseshoe bay in Zihuatanejo. It sits just above the water`s edge and runs up a steep rocky hill all the way up to the top. The sound of the surf resonates throughout. The sunsets are consistently spectacular and depending upon the time of the year, the sun sets in the ocean as opposed to behind an outer edge of the shoe.

Since this resort sits on a steep cliff, there is no beach directly below, but out the front end and 3-4 minutes down a short one lane street, there is Playa la Ropa, a beach which is beautiful. It is about a mile long and a perfect place for morning walks as well as some decent snorkelling around the reefs situated at the beginning.

This is a private, quiet, couples or single only resort with no pets nor children under age 18 allowed and it`s rare to see any near that age group.

There are many room/suite choices to choose from with varying prices. All have their own privacy and views with sitting areas from the inside out on patios overlooking the bay, ocean and the port entrance of Zihuatanejo.

There is a palapa covered restaurant for breakfast and lunch and an outside patio restaurant for dinner [both named Mar y Cielo]; they have good quality food choices prepared by top chefs and are served by dedicated people who are there to serve you joyfully and graciously.

Daily flights are available to the nearby Zihuatanejo/ Ixtapa International Airport.

For those who have concerns about safety, there has never been a problem in this locale that were aware of and its highly unlikely to ever be an issue IMHO.

Please feel free to PM me should you want more info.

This is our 8th visit here and we shall return, yes, for at least 10 days.

Their website fills in the details with more photos: http://www.lacasaquecanta.com/en/m_1_Home.php

Some photos:
IMG_1343.jpg
IMG_1312.jpg
IMG_1310.jpg
IMG_1307.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1287.jpg

Thanks Blake. It has been a long time since we were in the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo area. Maybe it is time for a return visit.

I just have to add a few more as each sunset is a new marvel:
fullsizeoutput_1928.jpeg
IMG_1393.JPG
IMG_1380.JPG

Haven’t been there in 3 years this December and your review and pictures revives my interest in going back. Have had a great time every time we’ve gone. Do have to watch out for the tequila as they charge after the first carafe but then who cares?

We’ve been going to Zihjuat off and on for over 25 years. I’m well aware of that spot and location. We stay over on playa madera for a tenth the price. Love the town, the people and the weather in January.

Thanks for sharing, Blake. Brings back memories as this place was the site of our honeymoon ten years ago. Impeccable service and lovely food.

One one of the things I most appreciate about this place Jeremy is that they are constantly upgrading, refurbishing and striving for a greater degree of excellence. They had a really good chef, Antonio, who had been there for over 20 years. About 3 years ago, he left to open up his own place [which since has closed] and hired Phillipe Valencia who retained some of the dishes, but added numerous more AND changes the menu daily with a few carryovers.

Also, they have completely re-done 7 or 8 rooms, adding sliding glass doors for more quieter “inside” time and contained A/C plus redecorated, remodelled and re-arranged rooms for more efficiency and elegance.

They ask for recommendations and listen and then act upon valid suggestions. Rare these days for luxury resorts.

The tequila we get daily in the room is complimentary. Dont know about refills, but theres plenty for a few snorts. As shown in the photo, it comes with lime and salt and 2 small glasses, plus fruit and silverware and napkin. Classy. The margaritas along with guacamole shown were also complimentary upon checkin.
fullsizeoutput_18c7.jpeg

Do you schlep wine there Blake? Is cuisine there wine-friendly?

Yes and yes. Since Im celebrating a special birthday during this trip, I brought some 375 ml Krug Grande Cuvee and Krug Brut Rose and a 750 ml of Dom which worked perfectly in the checkin. Had I wanted to bring more, I could have used a 6 pack styrofoam shipper, but it so humid here, the pony Coronas provided daily in our suites frig along with fresh limes satisfy immensely. We also get a daily replenishment of tequila which has enhanced the sunset viewing.

The food here is fabulous and has numerous options, most good for wine pairings which my wife has done. Their wine list is decent enough to satisfy her. I have a margarita with dinner here.
fullsizeoutput_18ef.jpeg

Happy Birthday, many healthy ones to come I hope.