Travelling to Paso Robles & Santa Ynez

Planning on touring the area & would like to get any recommendations on nice places to stay (plan on splitting 9 days between the 2 locales). Thanks in advance Joel

Joel,

Lots of choices for places to stay / people to hit up. How much time do you plan on spending in each area? You could ‘split the difference’ and stay in Avila Beach or Pismo Beach - probably equidistant between the two but that would involve 45 minutes-an hour each day to get where you want to go.

Lots of hotel recs from others in Paso on other threads - just search for them. In our area, more limited hotels and you can search for those as well. You can also find great air bnbs and the like in Los Olivos and Santa Ynez - it’ll just take some work. Check out SY Vacation Rentals for some nicer places as well.

And let me know when you’ll be in the area - hopefully I’ll be around!

Cheers.

Rent a house on the beach in Cayucos and drive the 30 min to Paso. This time of year won’t be too pricy.

Hotel Cheval is a great place in downtown paso. Great accommodations.nice breakfast buffet. S’mores at night. Can walk to the best restaurants

Ballard Inn is the top end. Its restaurant is excellent. For more modest pricing try the Marriott in Buellton. The Hotel Corque in Solvang is well located. A new Hilton Garden Inn just opened in Lompoc.

I’ve stayed at the Marriott in Buellton and that has worked out fine. Previously stayed at the Ballard Inn and Fess Parkers Inn which are fine but kind of faux luxury. For the Paso area I would seek out B&Bs or Inns. Have stayed at many in Paso, Templeton, and Cambria. The Just Inn and Asuncion Ridge have a few luxury accommodations that are pretty nice. Plenty of others too.

Larry forgot to mention that you need to visit him in Los Olivos

I have used Airbnb exclusively for business travel for the magazine, as well as personal trips and in June stayed for a week of tasting in Los Alamos, which is equidistant to Lompoc, Santa Maria and Los Olivos. The bungalow is owned by Will Henry, owner of Lumen Winery and also owns Pico, the restaurant that is only 10 steps away. Comfortable, spacious, convenient and quiet. Happy to send you the link to it. I’m almost ready to rebook it for my next Central Coast issue in Spring 18.

I second Hotel Cheval in Paso

Great location - but pricey. I guess budget requirements would be helpful here as well - and how many folks . . .

Cheers.

Thanks to all for the recommendations! We are planning on going in June & we had already picked the Hotel Cheval as a likely choice for Paso & had looked at several options for further south including the Ballard Inn. We are going to split 8 days between them. I will check the board for winery choices to pick. I already have a few in mind.

Thanks again!!

In 2015 we spent a couple nights at the ForFriends Inn (B&B) in Santa Ynez and thoroughly enjoyed it. Santa Ynez is tiny but has several excellent restaurants within walking distance of the B&B. It was very convenient for our day trips to wineries in Buellton, Solvang, the Lompoc Ghetto, the Foxen Canyon Trail and Los Olivos.

The Santa Barbara County Board of Supervisors (BOS) has banned short term rentals ( STRs) like Air B&B. There is a small exception for home/farm stays. The ban takes in 280 days. 550 Taxpayers who operated STRs were told by the BOS they did not want the $1.7M in bed taxes. Our budget deficit was only $25M and will grow to $50M in the next couple of years. Paso had 1.5M wine tourists while SBC had 886K. Paso is eating our lunch and bedding our customers.