Suggestions For Biondi-Santi Winery Visit Alternatives

I am going to Tuscany in late March with my fiancé. We were planning to spend a day each in Montalcino and the Chianti Classico zone. In Montalcino, I had planned to make arrangements for visits and tours of Biondi-Santi, Poggio di Sotto and one other winery (maybe Stella di Campalto). But when I reached out to the folks at Biondi-Santi, I was told that the winery has changed policy and only meets for tours before April with wine pros, writers or top clients.

To say that this was disappointing news is an understatement. I am looking for suggestions on some Montalcino wineries that other have visited and would recommend.

Thanks!

Kaitlyn,

That’s too bad – Biondi-Santi is a great tour.

One I strongly suggest is Ciacci Piccolomini. They have a great tasting room, give an interesting tour, and you can even look at the wolves they have on the property (fenced in) or the collection of road bikes of the proprietor, who used to be a professional cyclist. Also they are located right near a 9th-century church, which is pretty amazing to spend a few minutes looking around.

Altesino also does very good hospitality and has excellent wines. It’s a bit the other direction from Ciacci, but nothing is too far in Montalcino.

It’s worth saving some time to walk around the town of Montalcino, hopefully before/after lunch. Historically I’ve been very underwhelmed by the food choices there, but Drogheria Franci opened a couple of years ago just across the street from the fortress and it’s absolutely fantastic – great food, solid service, and excellent wine list (including an unusual but very cool cellar).

Have a great time!

Kevin

Full disclosure – we manage mailing lists for DtC sales for Ciacci Piccolomini and Altesino

Uccelliera
1+ on Ciacci (they do a light lunch tasting)
Casanova di Neri

Thank you both for the suggestions! I am going to look into all of them and see what may fit our schedule. Luckily I was able to get a tour and tasting at Poggio di Sotto on our calendar and for me that practically makes the whole trip!

Anyone have thoughts on female-run wineries to visit? Stella di Campalto is my hope if I can get in.

Goodness her wines are lovely.

They are indeed lovely. I am doing what I can to get in for a tasting!

Feel free to bring back bottles for left coast fans.