Toronto Airport

As part of the trip to Slovenia (see separate thread), our departing flight from Minneapolis/St. Paul has a 4.5 hour layover in Toronto before heading off to Munich. I don’t anticipate leaving the airport–especially if there’s a customs issue for leaving and returning. If I’m mistaken, please advise and also suggest what is doable and worth a quick diversion before returning to catch our connecting flight.

If I am not mistaken, I’m looking for what not to miss inside the Toronto airport–although I’m sure I’ll get to see plenty of it regardless.

Sorry for the short notice. We will be there October 13 in the afternoon.

4.5 hour will not be enough. There’s nothing to do within 5 mile radius of the airport as the neighborhood is either industrial or small suburban towns with strip malls.

Downtown Toronto is at least 40 minutes drive in good traffic condition.

Stay in the airport.

You can take the UP Express (UPX) downtown - about 20-25 minutes each way, if you wanted to see anything in the core. Based on your layover, I wouldn’t risk it, though. Security lines have been terrible lately unless you have Nexus/GE or equivalent.

I’d just head over to Vinifera and overpay for wines BTG or grab a bottle. They have Enomatics and therefore quite a number of wines available. There are locations in both Terminal 1 and 3 in the International departures area, so you’re covered regardless of the airline you’re flying.

The food at Vinifera is pretty meh, BTW. Not terrible, but not great either. Lee Kitchen is probably your best bet for good food in T1.

Basically, there’s nothing to write home about at our airport. They’ve tried to improve food and services over the years, but it’s still crap in comparison to other major airports, in my opinion.

What those guys said. Stay put and get your steps in for the day walking the airport terminals before your long flight to Europe.

Agree. Walk around and practice your Canadian.

That’s easy. If you get within 3 feet of anyone, just say “sorry”. If you write anything down add a “u” immediately following anywhere you use an “o”. Practice your french comprehension by finding your way to your next flight only reading the french side of signs.

Agree all the above. I suspect there are some local gems closer than downtown, but still not worth the risk of leaving the airport especially on Fri 13th.

Thanks, all. It was still worth asking. Flying Air Canada.