Nine hour layover in Boston, then to the Azores

My wife and I will be in Boston October 17th with a nine hour layout, the theory being that it gives us some time to explore the town before heading to the Azores. My wife saw something about the water taxi that will take us from the airport to downtown, is this worth it? Is it the best way? Where should we have a late lunch? I searched the forum and most of the recommendations appear that they are only open for dinner.

Any advice on Sao Miguel in the Azores, we will be staying in Furnas. We are mostly planning to just play it by ear while there, but some recommendations would be good. I did learn the there is a huge wine event the weekend we will be there: https://www.wineinazores.com/. i have emailed with the organizer and we plan to attend for a day, it should be fun.

Paul,

For a late lunch in Boston, I highly recommend Neptune Oyster. http://www.neptuneoyster.com
There’s usually a long wait, but you have 9 hours to kill. If you go, be aware that there’s a reserve wine list.

Best,

David

Paul - Logan airport is quite close to the city, so as long as it isn’t rush hour, you should be able to get into the city quickly, either by regular taxi or water taxi. Second the recommendation on Neptune Oyster for lunch.

You have to post pictures from this trip … please.

Thirding Neptune. You may not have that long of a wait in the late afternoon. And once you are done, the North End is a great place to kick around with many historical highlights

Neptune is great, if you are dining at 3pm , the line should be reasonable.

I have a slight preference for B&G Otster and they take reservations.

If you go to Neptune, be sure to get a cannoli at Modern Bakery a couple of blocks away. Blows away Mikes IMHO. Best cannoli sin the US (they fill them to order)

Neptune sounds like the place to be, we will place it high on the list.

My wife received an email today from the travel person (it was a package flight and hotel deal, which has always worked well for us) that our return flight has been canceled. There are only a few airlines that fly to the Azores so options are very limited. We will have to fly back a day earlier or a day later, we are trying to work that out now. We either end in Boston an extra night or our non refundable room gets wasted the night we were supposed to get back.

Cannoli are great at the Modern. Their Pignoli cookies at Modern Pastry are one of my few must have sweets (they’re not overly sweet) anywhere in the world (and the last for a month). Ignore Mike’s

I don’t know the details of getting the water taxi from Logan to downtown but I did take it several times from a nearby hotel ands long as the weather is not too chilly, it’s quite fun actually.

+2 on the Modern recommendation. The ricotta pie is my favorite dessert.

We had an uneventful flight to Boston, an awesome lunch at Neptune, and an uneventful and almost comfortable flight to Sao Miguel. We have had some great meals in just a few days, some awesome hikes, and expect more fun and games in the following days. I will post some pictures when we get back, or you can friend me on Facebook.

In addition to ametuer photos, I also keep a daily journal of our trips that I will post.