Help needed: getting from Alba to Malpensa by bus or train?

Hi Berserkers,

About a year ago I booked my annual trip to Piemonte with two friends (November 16th-19th). We arrive in Malpensa and drive a rental car to Monforte.

Now I need to figure out how to get from Alba to Malpensa and back home to Denmark on Saturday the 18th (a day before planned) since my nephew is going to be baptised on Sunday the 19th.

I haven’t been able to find a bus or train connection from Alba to Malpensa [help.gif]

Someone out there with knowledge of the piemontese public transportation system? [thankyou.gif]

Andreas

Awkward.
Google maps (often a good start point) suggests it’s ~ 4 - 4.5 hours, taking the SFM service to Torino, changing for a Freccia train (trenitalia) or rival Italo train to Milano, changing there for the airport train (xp2)

I can’t see any obvious short cuts, though if you want to cut out a change, there certainly used to be a SADEM bus route from Torino to Milano Malpensa. I doubt it will save time, but an option nonetheless.

Worth I suppose searching Autobus+Alba+malpensa, but I’d be surprised at any direct services.

Regards
Ian

Thanks Ian. That’s a good idea.

Always fly from Milan but just found sone flights from Torino. Should be much easier to get to by bus.

If you can fly from Torino, that makes it much easier, as there is a (blue) SADEM bus from Stazione Porta Susa (where you get off the SFM4 from Alba). It looks like the SADEM stop may have moved to Corso Bolzano 42 to be closer to the new Porta Susa station. Tickets can be bought from http://www.sadem.it/media/6355/000268.pdf or on board with a €1 surcharge (though they always seem to insist on not selling tickets on the bus at the airport!). The service takes around 40-45 minutes and has always been reasonably timely IME, though I’d hate to be cutting it fine, as a 10 min delay wouldn’t have seemed unusual.

Torino airport is rarely over-busy, so no need to arrive excessively early. Duty free shop a lot duller since the Winter Olympic refit, and not that much else to excite once through security. I’ll browse, but have usually picked any goodies up better & cheaper in the city.

Thanks again Ian. I’ll go with a flight from Torino.

[cheers.gif] Andreas