Anyone use Global Entry Program?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Ramon C

#401 Post by Ramon C » October 4th, 2017, 7:25 am

I also noted about 2 or 3 kiosks not working at JFK T4 when we returned 3 Sunday nights ago. We didn't have to wait as we got to available kiosks immediately. I'd still say that even if one were to wait for 5 minutes, I'd take it over the 20+ minute wait on a semi-busy night lining up for the live immigration officer interviews.

I also travelled locally to other cities, as well as to/from Canada since, and the added TSA pre-checks were a godsend for somebody like me who always seem to be rushing to airports.

Finally, we renewed our passports about 2 months ago and the online updating of passport information on to our GOES was seamlessly done in 15 minutes.
@brera

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#402 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » October 4th, 2017, 5:48 pm

Ramon C wrote:I also noted about 2 or 3 kiosks not working at JFK T4 when we returned 3 Sunday nights ago. We didn't have to wait as we got to available kiosks immediately. I'd still say that even if one were to wait for 5 minutes, I'd take it over the 20+ minute wait on a semi-busy night lining up for the live immigration officer interviews.

I also travelled locally to other cities, as well as to/from Canada since, and the added TSA pre-checks were a godsend for somebody like me who always seem to be rushing to airports.

Finally, we renewed our passports about 2 months ago and the online updating of passport information on to our GOES was seamlessly done in 15 minutes.
I’ll have to check my GOES profile.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#403 Post by JKim » October 5th, 2017, 11:18 am

I have to renew the global entry for my family soon. Is the interview necessary for renewals?
Joe

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#404 Post by Dan Hammer » October 5th, 2017, 11:35 am

Ramon C wrote:
There are very recent reports of GOES requiring currents users to sign up again. I went to enter a new passport number and couldn't do it. I'm hoping a few days away will fix the problem. I'll report back.
This space for rent.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#405 Post by Michael Martin » October 5th, 2017, 11:48 am

Tried Mobile Pass a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it. It put us ahead of almost the whole plane coming back though US customs.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#406 Post by Michael Bowden » October 5th, 2017, 1:49 pm

JKim wrote:I have to renew the global entry for my family soon. Is the interview necessary for renewals?
Depends - some have had to have it and some didn't (I didn't)
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#407 Post by Jud Reis » October 5th, 2017, 5:54 pm

I did not need an interview for renewal.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#408 Post by Michel Abood » October 6th, 2017, 10:26 am

Michael Martin wrote:Tried Mobile Pass a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it. It put us ahead of almost the whole plane coming back though US customs.
I was looking at that recently. Was it faster that Global Entry? That said, I've had nothing but positive experiences with GE.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#409 Post by Michael Martin » October 6th, 2017, 10:37 am

Michel Abood wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:Tried Mobile Pass a few weeks ago for the first time. Loved it. It put us ahead of almost the whole plane coming back though US customs.
I was looking at that recently. Was it faster that Global Entry? That said, I've had nothing but positive experiences with GE.
I don't have GE and I am probably not the right person for it since we travel abroad only once or twice a year. The lines filled up quickly though with people holding their cards versus us with our Mobile Pass app and the kiosk.

Ramon C

#410 Post by Ramon C » October 6th, 2017, 2:24 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Michel Abood wrote:
I don't have GE and I am probably not the right person for it since we travel abroad only once or twice a year. The lines filled up quickly though with people holding their cards versus us with our Mobile Pass app and the kiosk.
I may be wrong, but I thought with Mobile Pass you'll still have to line up for immigration and still be interviewed even after scanning your app's QR code.

With GE, one just show the GE receipt to the waiting immigration officer. At some point, I suspect (I hope) that they'll find a similar app for GE-holders that can simply produce a mobile receipt to be shown to waiting immigration officer.
@brera

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#411 Post by Michael Martin » October 6th, 2017, 3:32 pm

Ramon C wrote: I may be wrong, but I thought with Mobile Pass you'll still have to line up for immigration and still be interviewed even after scanning your app's QR code.

With GE, one just show the GE receipt to the waiting immigration officer. At some point, I suspect (I hope) that they'll find a similar app for GE-holders that can simply produce a mobile receipt to be shown to waiting immigration officer.
You submit your customs form through the app when you land. It generates a QR code that you scan at the customs desk, but you have your own lane for Mobile Pass. They ask you the usual questions and then you proceed to pick up your luggage. It literally put us ahead of a couple hundred people and it’s free.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#412 Post by Michel Abood » October 7th, 2017, 4:29 pm

Michael Martin wrote:
Ramon C wrote: I may be wrong, but I thought with Mobile Pass you'll still have to line up for immigration and still be interviewed even after scanning your app's QR code.

You submit your customs form through the app when you land. It generates a QR code that you scan at the customs desk, but you have your own lane for Mobile Pass. They ask you the usual questions and then you proceed to pick up your luggage. It literally put us ahead of a couple hundred people and it’s free.
Was there a dedicated Exit lane after you picked up your bags? That's how GE is. If this is free, I see no issue installing it and using it if the kiosks for GE are full.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#413 Post by Michael Martin » October 7th, 2017, 4:47 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:

Was there a dedicated Exit lane after you picked up your bags? That's how GE is. If this is free, I see no issue installing it and using it if the kiosks for GE are full.
Not sure I understand your question. It was our home port so we picked up our bags, handed the agent a card with an E printed on it and exited into the terminal.

Ramon C

#414 Post by Ramon C » October 8th, 2017, 6:05 am

Michel Abood wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:

Not at JFK, Michel. Only GE have dedicated no-questions asked, Customs-exit lane.

With a semi-busy arrival at JFK, big difference I noticed is that GE has the no-question exit from immigration as soon as you wave your GE receipt to the Immigration officer waiting by the kiosks; whereas, Mobil Pass users still lined up to scan QR code and had to answer questions from Immigration officer in a booth.

I suspect that it'll probably be only a matter of time before the GE kiosks will be replaced by some sort of ultra high-security mobile apps so that you can pre-fill in your arrival details and show GE mobile app results to the waiting immigration officer, instead of that paper receipt.
@brera

Tony Jones

#415 Post by Tony Jones » October 28th, 2017, 5:36 pm

I use this as well as TSA Approved and its so worth it. I have an app on my phone that lets me just buzz through customs upon reentry into the U.S. I would pay triple this price for this service.

G Kramer

#416 Post by G Kramer » October 28th, 2017, 10:44 pm

I have global entry but flew back to JFK with 2 family members who do not. We processed Mobil Passport while taxiing to the gate. Upon entering terminal 1, we were directed to the empty GE lane. Passports were scanned but no questions asked. So, in this case, it was faster than GE as no kiosk time.

Oddly there was no customs check set up post-baggage claim. Fastest gate to taxi experience ever.
Greg
ITB
VDLT Wine Community

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#417 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 3rd, 2017, 8:28 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
Ramon C wrote:
There are very recent reports of GOES requiring currents users to sign up again. I went to enter a new passport number and couldn't do it. I'm hoping a few days away will fix the problem. I'll report back.

Very interesting and thank you. We just received our new passports and had not even thought about the issues with GOES. I will definitely be checking this issue out shortly.

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Paul Jaouen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#418 Post by Paul Jaouen » November 3rd, 2017, 8:30 am

They have a new site. I had to reregister. Takes a few minutes to go through it.
Best,
Paul Jaouen

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#419 Post by Marshall Gelb » November 12th, 2017, 7:56 am

Paul Jaouen wrote:They have a new site. I had to reregister. Takes a few minutes to go through it.

Thanks! All done and very easy!

Cheers!
Marshall [cheers.gif]
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#420 Post by Alan Rath » November 12th, 2017, 11:56 am

Just flew into ORD, used Mobile Passport on my phone for the two of us. A breeze. Need to set it up before you go, you just scan your passport(s) for each family member, and fill in a few details (though I think the scan grabbed pretty much everything). Then when you land, open the phone app, select the saved travelers, answer the usual customs questions in the app, submit. Only a few people in the MP line, scan the phone for each traveler (It's on one phone, to be clear), no questions, sent on our way.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#421 Post by Dan Hammer » November 12th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Marshall Gelb wrote:
Paul Jaouen wrote:They have a new site. I had to reregister. Takes a few minutes to go through it.

I pity the people that don't have a clue about re-registering. What a pain in the a$$ this was.
This space for rent.

Steven Miller

#422 Post by Steven Miller » November 12th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
Marshall Gelb wrote:

I pity the people that don't have a clue about re-registering. What a pain in the a$$ this was.
Agree, was a very clumsy process.
tread lightly

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#423 Post by Andrew Kotowski » November 12th, 2017, 10:36 pm

Continued to be a breeze at Sea-Tac, with the GOES line being the first hard left as you enter the immigration area. Two minutes later I was waiting 30 mind for luggage... again.

Big thing to remember is that there is a GOES exit lane, as well. Guy didn’t even look at me as I walked through; just took my slip and waved me on.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Brian King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#424 Post by Brian King » November 16th, 2017, 5:28 pm

Fyi DC remains the best airport I've found for wine. Declared it, he asked and then just waved me through when it was only wine and not food. 36 bottles this time

Jeff Johannsmeyer

#425 Post by Jeff Johannsmeyer » November 22nd, 2017, 9:32 am

Just wanted to put my $.02 in regarding the Mobile Passport app. I would do Global Entry, but we live in Kansas, and the nearest office that does interviews is in Chicago or Denver, so it's just not practical to get.

The MP app has worked really well for us each time we've used it, and I would call it a solid substitute for GE. I've had experience with it at Chicago, Denver, SFO, Houston, and Newark. Earlier this month, our port of entry was Newark, and we bypassed a completely full immigration area. There was no one in the MP line, and we breezed through faster than even the Global Entry folks. Combine MP with premier baggage handling (via status or booking class), and it really streamlines things. They ran out of premier tags when we checked in at St. Lucia, so ours weren't the first ones off the belt like they usually are. That meant having to wait in the customs line for no more than 5 minutes, instead of no line when the first bags started coming off the belt. If/when more people learn about the mobile app it won't be as useful. But as of today, it remains a great time saver.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#426 Post by c fu » November 23rd, 2017, 5:42 pm

Jeff Johannsmeyer wrote:Just wanted to put my $.02 in regarding the Mobile Passport app. I would do Global Entry, but we live in Kansas, and the nearest office that does interviews is in Chicago or Denver, so it's just not practical to get.

The MP app has worked really well for us each time we've used it, and I would call it a solid substitute for GE. I've had experience with it at Chicago, Denver, SFO, Houston, and Newark. Earlier this month, our port of entry was Newark, and we bypassed a completely full immigration area. There was no one in the MP line, and we breezed through faster than even the Global Entry folks. Combine MP with premier baggage handling (via status or booking class), and it really streamlines things. They ran out of premier tags when we checked in at St. Lucia, so ours weren't the first ones off the belt like they usually are. That meant having to wait in the customs line for no more than 5 minutes, instead of no line when the first bags started coming off the belt. If/when more people learn about the mobile app it won't be as useful. But as of today, it remains a great time saver.
When I came back from Mexico, two of us had GE and three had mobile entry. We all got out about the same time. I think that changes as more people learn about mobile passport. I had my friends download it when we left on our trip cause they had never heard of it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#427 Post by Michael Bowden » November 23rd, 2017, 6:16 pm

Just came back via JFK - did GE, no lines or issues. Was through in 2-3 minutes if that.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Chris L
GCC Member
GCC Member

#428 Post by Chris L » January 28th, 2018, 11:34 am

I love Global Entry -- well worth it!
...andon

Stephanie Pocchia

#429 Post by Stephanie Pocchia » January 28th, 2018, 11:38 am

Chris L wrote:I love Global Entry -- well worth it!
Good to hear! We’ve been enjoying TSA Precheck, and hope to use Global Entry soon.
Dum vivimus, vivamus
(While we live, let us really live)

andy velebil

#430 Post by andy velebil » January 30th, 2018, 6:36 am

Re-registered on their new website. Was pretty quick and painless. Took all of 5 minutes at best.
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#431 Post by Michel Abood » March 3rd, 2018, 3:33 pm

So I came back from Paris on Wednesday via JFK, and decided to give Mobile Passport a shot in case there was a line at the GE kiosks. Well, as luck would have it, the kiosks were busy, so I looked over at the MP line and it was pretty much empty. 1-2-3 and it was done, while folks coming via GE were still going through the line. WOW. I'm a believer.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#432 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » March 3rd, 2018, 4:44 pm

Slightly off topic, but just came back from Australia where they have full electronic passport control for many countries including US. No app or pre-registration, just insert your passport and look at the camera, coming and going. Such a pleasure!

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#433 Post by Michael Martin » March 3rd, 2018, 5:19 pm

Michel Abood wrote:So I came back from Paris on Wednesday via JFK, and decided to give Mobile Passport a shot in case there was a line at the GE kiosks. Well, as luck would have it, the kiosks were busy, so I looked over at the MP line and it was pretty much empty. 1-2-3 and it was done, while folks coming via GE were still going through the line. WOW. I'm a believer.
And it’s free!

AndrewH

#434 Post by AndrewH » March 13th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
Michael Martin wrote:
Varies by airport. At Washington Dulles MP and GE filter to the same CBP agents, who check you out. Last few times GE was taking a close look at the passport and asking a few questions, so no speed advantage. One time there was only one agent serving both lanes - he cleared out the GE queue before taking the MP folks (or at least he was taking everyone up to me - I didn't look back and after that was focused on ordering my Uber, which I beat to the curb).

I may give MPC a try at some point.
Andrew H e i m e r t

AndrewH

#435 Post by AndrewH » March 13th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:And benefit to having both GE and Clear?
Clear has limited airports and it's more expensive by far. Clear doesn't do anything for international travel. Get GE for $100 for 5 years as it includes TSA Pre. If you have to ask about Clear, it's obviously not worth the $179 a year to you.

Well, I already have GE so, I don't have to worry about that....and as to Clear I'm aware of the expense and actually get a discount to to my DL status. So, just trying to see if it's worth having both. Oh, and Clear is at my home airport.
I thought Clear was basically just a line cut - if you don't have pre-check you still have to remove shoes, etc.
Andrew H e i m e r t

AndrewH

#436 Post by AndrewH » March 13th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Michel Abood wrote:So I came back from Paris on Wednesday via JFK, and decided to give Mobile Passport a shot in case there was a line at the GE kiosks. Well, as luck would have it, the kiosks were busy, so I looked over at the MP line and it was pretty much empty. 1-2-3 and it was done, while folks coming via GE were still going through the line. WOW. I'm a believer.
What I'm wondering is what happens if you submit mobile passport and then use the GE lines (which may be shorter). do they end up with two records that create problems?
Andrew H e i m e r t

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#437 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » March 16th, 2018, 7:04 am

AndrewH wrote:
What I'm wondering is what happens if you submit mobile passport and then use the GE lines (which may be shorter). do they end up with two records that create problems?
Your answer is probably in flyertalk

ssukhots

#438 Post by ssukhots » April 22nd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Could be hit or miss, but , generally, it’s worth it
Stan S.

Scott Brunson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#439 Post by Scott Brunson » April 24th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Leave the apples at home
Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
On CT, I'm S1

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#440 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 20th, 2018, 12:34 pm

GOES is awesome. Just walked past a 100 person deep queue at SeaTac that was roped off... showed my GOES card and they let me right through.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#441 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 21st, 2018, 5:05 am

Andrew Kotowski wrote:GOES is awesome. Just walked past a 100 person deep queue at SeaTac that was roped off... showed my GOES card and they let me right through.
Darn, I was hoping they would send you back to Paris.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#442 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 21st, 2018, 6:36 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
Andrew Kotowski wrote:GOES is awesome. Just walked past a 100 person deep queue at SeaTac that was roped off... showed my GOES card and they let me right through.
Darn, I was hoping they would send you back to Paris.
Hah! Thanks! I had never seen the line queued this way before, which is why I posted.

I'm sure I'll miss Paris, but for the time being, I'm drowning myself in IPAs like there is no tomorrow. Of course, I start the new job today, so tomorrow just came :/

AndrewH

#443 Post by AndrewH » July 2nd, 2018, 9:19 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
AndrewH wrote:
Your answer is probably in flyertalk
Ended up answering my own question, with ambiguity.

SFO - could submit MPC and use GE
IAD - submitting MPC meant GE kiosk wouldn't allow me to use it.
Andrew H e i m e r t

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#444 Post by alan weinberg » July 2nd, 2018, 10:13 pm

Huge line in NY coming from Paris. After 40 min moving nowhere in the long Global Entry line, we realized the site was broken and had to go to the end of the regular line. Took forever. GE sucked that day.

M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#445 Post by M.Kaplan » July 2nd, 2018, 10:31 pm

That’s unusual. When the kiosks have been out of order, we’ve been directed to the airline crew or handicapped lines.

Did they require you to fill out a landing card, too?

On Saturday at LAX Bradley, the customs lines were a nightmare (GOES was a snap). We cut across the airline crew line to the front and were waived thru customs.
---Mark

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#446 Post by Andrew Kotowski » July 3rd, 2018, 2:00 am

M.Kaplan wrote:That’s unusual. When the kiosks have been out of order, we’ve been directed to the airline crew or handicapped lines.
I have pulled my GOES card out and shown it to the attendant in situations like this and they’ve always let me go to the front. Will let you know if I have any issues... in about twelve hours :)

Ramon C

#447 Post by Ramon C » July 3rd, 2018, 6:32 am

40 minutes seem to be an awfully long time to wait for a GOES kiosk in JFK. I've arrived at JFK from international travel an average of 4X a year and in the most busiest of situations, and never had to wait more than 2 minutes for an available kiosk. The only times had to wait was because 1 or 2 kiosks, out of the 8 - 12 that I think they have at the arrival hall, is out of order.
@brera

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#448 Post by Michel Abood » February 19th, 2019, 7:00 am

Came back from Paris via JFK on Sunday night and discovered something: you can't use both Mobile Passport and Global Entry at the same time. So if you've already used MP, then Global Entry won't work for you, and vice versa. I had figured I'd see which line was shortest, and when I saw an open GE kiosk I tried logging in but it considered me already processed and told me to go away.

Interestingly, the Customs guy told me GE was better than MP. It certainly didn't help that the MP scanner wasn't working so they just waived me through.

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#449 Post by scamhi » February 19th, 2019, 7:15 am

Michel Abood wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 7:00 am
so they just waived me through.
contraband cheese and all
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam