Anyone use Global Entry Program?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Message
Author
User avatar
Ethan Abraham
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 1153
Joined: November 16th, 2010, 10:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#301 Post by Ethan Abraham » December 7th, 2015, 5:29 am

Steven Miller wrote:
Dan Hammer wrote:
Dan Hammer wrote: Pre-check is now officially reserved for those that paid for it. [cheers.gif]
Steve, that was the morning headline on the news.
I've seen it in the news several times in the past 6 months. But nothing has happened in reality, and TSA has never posted it to their own page, while the most recent article in the LA Times from Nov 30th failed to quote anyone from TSA nor provide any reference that supports the veracity of the claim.

My next trip is early January when we head to Hawaii. We'll test it then.
Yeah, last article I saw said that it ended in September, but I flew in November and was put in pre-check for no reason.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#302 Post by Ramon C » December 7th, 2015, 7:18 am

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:We just received notice that we're eligible for the UK's registered traveler service. Does anyone have any experience?
Apparently we wouldn't qualify it seems aimed at frequent visitors since one requirement is 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks.
I received this email, too, and also will not qualify as I only made 1 trip to the UK in the last 52 weeks.

Just to add, my letter started with "You are receiving this message because you have been identified by the U.S. Customs and border protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen enrolled in the Global Entry program."
@brera

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 29779
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#303 Post by c fu » December 7th, 2015, 10:40 am

Sarah Kirschbaum wrote:I've been in 6 airports in the last week, and I will say that, happily, the pre check lines have been particularly short. I can't make any firm claims as to causation or coincidence, but it has certainly been pleasant.
lucky :(

about the short pre check lines, not being in 6 airports in a week.

Just flew out of LAX two weeks ago, they still sent regular passengers through pre check. They checked your pass at the entrance of the line, checked your pass at the passport scan and then right before the metal detectors they checked your pass to see if you have precheck so you don't have to take off your shoes.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#304 Post by Steven Miller » December 7th, 2015, 12:19 pm

I had a record number of segments in 2015. I saw a lot of TSA-pre. Even with a "line" it was always better than the alternative. Here's to less flying in 2016.
tread lightly

tomrg58
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 83
Joined: February 11th, 2014, 3:33 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#305 Post by tomrg58 » January 10th, 2016, 12:32 pm

GE has been great. Worth the $100 for 5 years. So a breeze when coming back to the US and they just introduced a similar service if you've been there 4 times in the last year. Plus automatic TSA pre-check.
Thomas Greenberg

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#306 Post by Steven Miller » July 12th, 2016, 11:54 am

Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
tread lightly

User avatar
Sherri S h a p i r o
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 2129
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:22 pm
Location: NJ/South FL

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#307 Post by Sherri S h a p i r o » July 12th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Steven Miller wrote:Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
Good to know! Such a no brainer.

User avatar
Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 824
Joined: August 21st, 2009, 8:27 am
Location: Plano, TX

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#308 Post by Michael O'Brien » July 13th, 2016, 1:14 pm

Steven Miller wrote:Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
It seems like some do and some don't have to do another interview and fingerprinting session. A few months ago, my wife and I had to go to a renewal interview and be fingerprinted again. Our daughter just renewed and she doesn't have to go. We start the renewal process several months in advance although it doesn't affect the expiration date.
PlanoWino

Brian King
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 368
Joined: May 1st, 2010, 6:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#309 Post by Brian King » July 14th, 2016, 11:19 am

Steven Miller wrote:Just renewed Global Entry. Wasn't sure if I would need to repeat the interview, but nope. Re-Approved til my birthday in 2021.
Steven - do they notify you about renewal, or do you have to keep track of when it expires?

thanks!
Brian

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#310 Post by Steven Miller » July 14th, 2016, 1:49 pm

They sent me a reminder by email to renew and sent another when my renewal application was approved.
(the second simply said there was a status change... which had me wondering but it was good news when I logged into GOES)

email 1 short & sweet:

Your Trusted Traveler membership will be expiring soon. If you wish to renew your membership, you will need to log onto the GOES website at https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes to submit your renewal application.

email 2 a bit longer and vague:

There has been a recent change to the status of your application.
Please login to your GOES account for more information.

This e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept
incoming email. Please do not reply to this message.

Thank you,
Customs and Border Protection

GOES Website: https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/
tread lightly

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4702
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#311 Post by M.Kaplan » July 25th, 2016, 11:20 am

R Cabrera wrote:
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:We just received notice that we're eligible for the UK's registered traveler service. Does anyone have any experience?
Apparently we wouldn't qualify it seems aimed at frequent visitors since one requirement is 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks.
I received this email, too, and also will not qualify as I only made 1 trip to the UK in the last 52 weeks.

Just to add, my letter started with "You are receiving this message because you have been identified by the U.S. Customs and border protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen enrolled in the Global Entry program."
Not 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks. 4 UK trips in the past 24 months.

I just filled out the online application. £70 for the first year, £50/yr thereafter. We fly into the UK or arrive on the Eurostar 4-5 times each year, sometimes more, sometimes less. Even with Fast Track, we've waited for 30+ minutes at border control. I'm happy to pay $90 to avoid the interminable non-UK/EU passport holder lines. YMMV.
---Mark

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#312 Post by Steven Miller » July 25th, 2016, 2:29 pm

I received the GOES ID card in the mail. TSA let me use it as my ID when I went thru the Pre Line. It can now serve as a backup in case I ever lose my DL.
tread lightly

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4702
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#313 Post by M.Kaplan » August 3rd, 2016, 2:44 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
R Cabrera wrote:
Tom G l a s g o w wrote:We just received notice that we're eligible for the UK's registered traveler service. Does anyone have any experience?
Apparently we wouldn't qualify it seems aimed at frequent visitors since one requirement is 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks.
I received this email, too, and also will not qualify as I only made 1 trip to the UK in the last 52 weeks.

Just to add, my letter started with "You are receiving this message because you have been identified by the U.S. Customs and border protection (CBP) as a U.S. citizen enrolled in the Global Entry program."
Not 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks. 4 UK trips in the past 24 months.

I just filled out the online application. £70 for the first year, £50/yr thereafter. We fly into the UK or arrive on the Eurostar 4-5 times each year, sometimes more, sometimes less. Even with Fast Track, we've waited for 30+ minutes at border control. I'm happy to pay $90 to avoid the interminable non-UK/EU passport holder lines. YMMV.

Edit: A few days later, I received an email (as did my wife) from Border Force stating that they couldn't find evidence that we traveled to the UK 4 times during the past 2 years and requested copies of passport stamps, tickets, frequent flier programs, or other evidence. I scanned and emailed pages from our passports and received approval this morning. Easy Peasy.
---Mark

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#314 Post by Ramon C » August 4th, 2016, 6:41 am

Just adding on with a recent GE experience at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I flew out of the airport, going back to NYC, on a very busy Tuesday morning and the 8 or 10 kiosks alongside the US immigration booths had no line at all; whereas there appears to be at least a 15-minute back-up on the winding line for the manned booths. Took all of 1 minute to fill-in the prompted information, walk out and hand the receipt to the waiting US immigration officer into the departure gates.
@brera

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#315 Post by Steven Miller » August 4th, 2016, 6:46 am

I haven't tried GE in Canada in a while. When Ottawa had just received the system the local staff had not been TRAINED in what it was. I went to the machine, got my receipt tried to walk past the line and they sent me back to end of the regular line. When I asked why they got mad at me for asking.
tread lightly

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4386
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#316 Post by Joe Dulworth » August 4th, 2016, 9:25 am

R Cabrera wrote:Just adding on with a recent GE experience at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I flew out of the airport, going back to NYC, on a very busy Tuesday morning and the 8 or 10 kiosks alongside the US immigration booths had no line at all; whereas there appears to be at least a 15-minute back-up on the winding line for the manned booths. Took all of 1 minute to fill-in the prompted information, walk out and hand the receipt to the waiting US immigration officer into the departure gates.
Same here in June. Clear U.S. Customs & Immigration in about a minute and most of that was fiddling with the kiosk.

Too bad we can't do the same thing entering Toronto.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

J. D'Antonio
Posts: 280
Joined: July 21st, 2010, 8:02 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#317 Post by J. D'Antonio » August 5th, 2016, 5:50 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:
R Cabrera wrote:Just adding on with a recent GE experience at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I flew out of the airport, going back to NYC, on a very busy Tuesday morning and the 8 or 10 kiosks alongside the US immigration booths had no line at all; whereas there appears to be at least a 15-minute back-up on the winding line for the manned booths. Took all of 1 minute to fill-in the prompted information, walk out and hand the receipt to the waiting US immigration officer into the departure gates.
Same here in June. Clear U.S. Customs & Immigration in about a minute and most of that was fiddling with the kiosk.

Too bad we can't do the same thing entering Toronto.
If you get Nexus, you would be able to. GE is only for entering the US (or that's my understanding). Because you actually clear US customs at Pearson, that's why your GE works while exiting Canada.
futronic
J a y D ' A n t o n i o

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#318 Post by Ramon C » August 5th, 2016, 5:55 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:
R Cabrera wrote:Just adding on with a recent GE experience at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I flew out of the airport, going back to NYC, on a very busy Tuesday morning and the 8 or 10 kiosks alongside the US immigration booths had no line at all; whereas there appears to be at least a 15-minute back-up on the winding line for the manned booths. Took all of 1 minute to fill-in the prompted information, walk out and hand the receipt to the waiting US immigration officer into the departure gates.
Same here in June. Clear U.S. Customs & Immigration in about a minute and most of that was fiddling with the kiosk.

Too bad we can't do the same thing entering Toronto.
I must add that being in the TSA Pre-Check line saved me about another 20 minutes had I lined-up at the regular security check line.
@brera

User avatar
Ken Rudman
Posts: 2671
Joined: May 31st, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: South Pasadena, CA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#319 Post by Ken Rudman » August 27th, 2016, 6:07 am

R Cabrera wrote:Just adding on with a recent GE experience at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

I flew out of the airport, going back to NYC, on a very busy Tuesday morning and the 8 or 10 kiosks alongside the US immigration booths had no line at all; whereas there appears to be at least a 15-minute back-up on the winding line for the manned booths. Took all of 1 minute to fill-in the prompted information, walk out and hand the receipt to the waiting US immigration officer into the departure gates.
Same experience out of Vancouver last month. What a breeze.

Oh, and I finally joined the UK version, approved in 5 days (but I do 6 trips a year to the UK). I fly into Heathrow in a couple of weeks and the verification happens when you go through the regular (or Fast Track) lines, which is then hopefully for the last time.

K

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13185
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#320 Post by Jay Miller » August 29th, 2016, 6:39 am

Finally got around to submitting my GE application since I'll get the fee reimbursed from Amex.

Now I just have to convince Arnold to do the same.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4691
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 8:30 am
Location: New York/Paris

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#321 Post by Michel Abood » August 29th, 2016, 9:13 am

Jay Miller wrote:Finally got around to submitting my GE application since I'll get the fee reimbursed from Amex.

Now I just have to convince Arnold to do the same.
SO worth it you'll be wondering what took you so long to do it.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 29779
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#322 Post by c fu » August 29th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Anyone get Global entry for their infant? In the process of getting a passport for the baby. Can't set an appointment for global entry without her passport number
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3867
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#323 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » August 29th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Jay Miller wrote:Finally got around to submitting my GE application since I'll get the fee reimbursed from Amex.

Now I just have to convince Arnold to do the same.
Get it, on two occasions it's saved a missed flight.

User avatar
todd waldmann
Posts: 5028
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:51 pm
Location: boise, idaho

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#324 Post by todd waldmann » August 30th, 2016, 6:58 am

c fu wrote:Anyone get Global entry for their infant? In the process of getting a passport for the baby. Can't set an appointment for global entry without her passport number
We did it with our kids, though they haven't been infants for a while now....
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2742
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#325 Post by Mike Cohen » September 8th, 2016, 8:09 am

So effing frustrating. I have my Global Entry interview tomorrow. Been waiting 2 months. I can't log onto the website to see what I need to bring because it won't accept my username and password. I've reset my password and it won't accept that either (and I'm sure the user name is correct). I've tried calling the four phone numbers on redial for the past hour and it's given me a busy signal for over 400 calls. Pathetic.

Not to get too political, but we actually believe that a government entity that can't even get a phone call correct is going to keep us safe?

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2202
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#326 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 8th, 2016, 9:13 am

Mike Cohen wrote:So effing frustrating. I have my Global Entry interview tomorrow. Been waiting 2 months. I can't log onto the website to see what I need to bring because it won't accept my username and password. I've reset my password and it won't accept that either (and I'm sure the user name is correct). I've tried calling the four phone numbers on redial for the past hour and it's given me a busy signal for over 400 calls. Pathetic.

Not to get too political, but we actually believe that a government entity that can't even get a phone call correct is going to keep us safe?
Mike, it has been a while, so I can't say for sure, but I don't recall having to bring anything burdensome. I didn't even have a copy of my social security card then (I've since had it replaced) so I am sure that wasn't necessary. I'd hazard a guess you are safe with a few forms of ID, of course including your passport.

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4386
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#327 Post by Joe Dulworth » September 8th, 2016, 9:31 am

As best as I recall you'll need your passport, the confirmation letter and perhaps your drivers license. I think that was it. Obviously no guarantee.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2742
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#328 Post by Mike Cohen » September 8th, 2016, 9:41 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:As best as I recall you'll need your passport, the confirmation letter and perhaps your drivers license. I think that was it. Obviously no guarantee.
I'm finally got onto the website and the above quote seems to be correct. I sure hope that GE is worth it, because the website and phone system makes Comcast and Verizon customer service look good. :(

User avatar
Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4386
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 2:10 pm
Location: Arlington, TX

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#329 Post by Joe Dulworth » September 8th, 2016, 9:49 am

GE is worth every freaking dime and then some. Rest assured.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 30866
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#330 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 8th, 2016, 10:55 am

We don't travel internationally very often, but before we do next time, I am sure we will sign up. Pre, on the other hand, is a life-saver domestically.

You don't have to re-apply for pre check, do you? I have never received any indication that I do
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2202
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#331 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 8th, 2016, 11:45 am

Once you are Global Entry, you are automatically pre check on all domestic airlines.

There is no downside to it whatsoever. And any PITA from the website or process (I didn't have any, FWIW) will be erased or forgiven the first time you see the enormous line at immigration and breeze right by it. So, too, the short line for exiting customs after baggage claim.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#332 Post by Steven Miller » September 8th, 2016, 2:17 pm

I wouldn't call it automatic. You have to load your Global Entry # into your profile on each airline you fly. It's easy to forget when you choose a different carrier.
tread lightly

User avatar
todd waldmann
Posts: 5028
Joined: June 5th, 2009, 7:51 pm
Location: boise, idaho

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#333 Post by todd waldmann » September 8th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:GE is worth every freaking dime and then some. Rest assured.
Absolutely.
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

User avatar
Ken Rudman
Posts: 2671
Joined: May 31st, 2009, 10:50 pm
Location: South Pasadena, CA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#334 Post by Ken Rudman » September 8th, 2016, 4:35 pm

BTW, if you sign up for UK Registered Traveller, the "interview" takes place at the passport control desk the next time you go through a UK airport. Did mine on my way through London to the Netherlands. They give you an id card and you are all set. I'll get to try it when I fly back from AMS to Heathrow next week, so we will see if it's any faster.

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2742
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#335 Post by Mike Cohen » September 9th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Had my interview this morning. Including the fingerprint process the whole thing took less than 2 minutes. I need to sign my kids up now. Wish I had done that emailer but c'est la vie.

It would be great if all groups associated with DHS shared information and I could have answered the three questions thy asks me online and done the fingerprint thing at my local police station

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4052
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#336 Post by Andrew Kotowski » September 12th, 2016, 10:03 am

Mike Cohen wrote:So effing frustrating. I have my Global Entry interview tomorrow. Been waiting 2 months. I can't log onto the website to see what I need to bring because it won't accept my username and password. I've reset my password and it won't accept that either (and I'm sure the user name is correct). I've tried calling the four phone numbers on redial for the past hour and it's given me a busy signal for over 400 calls. Pathetic.

Not to get too political, but we actually believe that a government entity that can't even get a phone call correct is going to keep us safe?
This. Got locked out of the system, had to dial customer support. Three days of "all circuits busy" until finally getting through, only to wait for 90 minutes for somebody to answer and reset my account. Terrible experience which, god willing, I will soon forget as I breeze through the lines.

User avatar
andy velebil
Posts: 6628
Joined: February 2nd, 2009, 4:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA USA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#337 Post by andy velebil » October 4th, 2016, 11:57 am

Update from my earlier post. Returned from my trip to LAX international terminal. Walked right up to the GE kiosk did the usual questions, picture, and got my receipt. Waited about 1 minute to see the CBP officer, who looked at it and immediately sent me on my way. Grabbed luggage and went into the GE luggage screening line, which also happens to be the Flight Crew line as well. Waited about 1 1 /2 minutes, showed the CBP officer my print out and about 10 seconds later, was out the door.

I had my luggage and was gone before 95% of the plane was through the first customs line. Best money ever spent!
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5445
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#338 Post by Blake Brown » October 16th, 2016, 10:58 pm

"Post #331 Postby Sarah Kirschbaum » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:45 am
Once you are Global Entry, you are automatically pre check on all domestic airlines.

There is no downside to it whatsoever. And any PITA from the website or process (I didn't have any, FWIW) will be erased or forgiven the first time you see the enormous line at immigration and breeze right by it. So, too, the short line for exiting customs after baggage claim."
Steven Miller wrote:I wouldn't call it automatic. You have to load your Global Entry # into your profile on each airline you fly. It's easy to forget when you choose a different carrier.
That was my experience too. I had to go to every airline to register it on line and for Delta, I had to do it by phone.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Sarah Kirschbaum
Posts: 2202
Joined: September 20th, 2010, 11:53 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#339 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 17th, 2016, 8:42 am

You are correct - "automatically" isn't exactly correct. But you don't have to be reviewed or approved or apply. Just put in your number.

Mike Cohen
Posts: 2742
Joined: December 8th, 2009, 1:37 pm

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#340 Post by Mike Cohen » October 26th, 2016, 12:55 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
Mike Cohen wrote:So effing frustrating. I have my Global Entry interview tomorrow. Been waiting 2 months. I can't log onto the website to see what I need to bring because it won't accept my username and password. I've reset my password and it won't accept that either (and I'm sure the user name is correct). I've tried calling the four phone numbers on redial for the past hour and it's given me a busy signal for over 400 calls. Pathetic.

Not to get too political, but we actually believe that a government entity that can't even get a phone call correct is going to keep us safe?
This. Got locked out of the system, had to dial customer support. Three days of "all circuits busy" until finally getting through, only to wait for 90 minutes for somebody to answer and reset my account. Terrible experience which, god willing, I will soon forget as I breeze through the lines.
Well...good news. When I was trying to access my GOES account the day before my interview back on September 8th and having trouble, I filled out the online help request (after dialing the phone numbers listed over 400x) which said I should hear back within 24-72 hours. The good news is that I've heard back. The bad news is that I heard back today, 50+ days later via email. Even better news, they sent the same response three times! So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Edited for clarity...I got my GE card back in September.
Last edited by Mike Cohen on October 26th, 2016, 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4052
Joined: February 7th, 2012, 1:42 pm
Location: Sammamish, WA

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#341 Post by Andrew Kotowski » October 26th, 2016, 1:04 pm

Quick update - have used several times now and it's fantastic. TSA Pre-Check is nice, but when you bumble off a 10 hour flight into a queue of 500 people from 3 different intl flights... and breeze through in 3 mins, it's a blessing and a half.

Biggest challenge I faced last time was getting through the line in 3 minutes and then waiting 30 for my luggage.

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4702
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#342 Post by M.Kaplan » October 26th, 2016, 2:39 pm

Ken Rudman wrote:BTW, if you sign up for UK Registered Traveller, the "interview" takes place at the passport control desk the next time you go through a UK airport. Did mine on my way through London to the Netherlands. They give you an id card and you are all set. I'll get to try it when I fly back from AMS to Heathrow next week, so we will see if it's any faster.
We used the UK ePassport gates at LHR on Saturday. Similar to GOES kiosks, but fewer questions.
---Mark

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5445
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#343 Post by Blake Brown » October 26th, 2016, 5:01 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:Quick update - have used several times now and it's fantastic. TSA Pre-Check is nice, but when you bumble off a 10 hour flight into a queue of 500 people from 3 different intl flights... and breeze through in 3 mins, it's a blessing and a half.

Biggest challenge I faced last time was getting through the line in 3 minutes and then waiting 30 for my luggage.
The is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I got through in no time, went to the baggage carousel and waited 45 minutes for my bag to come down the shute. That was 3 minutes too long. I missed my bus to Santa Barbara and had to wait 2 hours for the next one. Not ideal after being up already 20 hours.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3384
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#344 Post by Ramon C » October 28th, 2016, 6:29 am

Well, it worked out for me at JFK last Sunday evening when I arrived from Amsterdam. It was a marketplace of chaos at the immigration hall with seemingly 10 flights simultaneously arriving, and bags came in at the normal half-ass speed on the conveyor, but still got out and into a cab home before my flight-mates got through immigration.

Plus, the GE line for customs exit was another god-send, that avoided the regular seemingly long queue to get out.
@brera

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5445
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#345 Post by Blake Brown » October 28th, 2016, 12:39 pm

R Cabrera wrote:Well, it worked out for me at JFK last Sunday evening when I arrived from Amsterdam. It was a marketplace of chaos at the immigration hall with seemingly 10 flights simultaneously arriving, and bags came in at the normal half-ass speed on the conveyor, but still got out and into a cab home before my flight-mates got through immigration.

Plus, the GE line for customs exit was another god-send, that avoided the regular seemingly long queue to get out.
I missed my bus bc I missed the line for GE for the customs exit. Lesson learned. I`ll remember there are 2 lines for GE, not just the one for passport control.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Cole Kendall
Posts: 727
Joined: June 2nd, 2009, 7:58 am

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#346 Post by Cole Kendall » October 28th, 2016, 4:45 pm

The GE Customs line at JFK (AA terminal) has saved me hours. They actually hold the people in the regular line back to let GE people through, even when the regular line is hundreds long.

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#347 Post by Steven Miller » October 28th, 2016, 5:23 pm

A JFK nightmare motivated me to sign up for GE. I just renewed. Worth the hassle and every penny paid and then some.
tread lightly

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 29779
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#348 Post by c fu » October 31st, 2016, 11:20 am

Steven Miller wrote:A JFK nightmare motivated me to sign up for GE. I just renewed. Worth the hassle and every penny paid and then some.
when you renew do you just pay the fee? or still have to go interview with them?
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: @clayfu.wine

User avatar
M.Kaplan
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 4702
Joined: April 18th, 2009, 9:10 am
Location: Los Angeles

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#349 Post by M.Kaplan » October 31st, 2016, 11:35 am

c fu wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:A JFK nightmare motivated me to sign up for GE. I just renewed. Worth the hassle and every penny paid and then some.
when you renew do you just pay the fee? or still have to go interview with them?
Sign into your GOES account online and renew. No interview.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/l ... 1809534833
---Mark

User avatar
Steven Miller
Posts: 2277
Joined: December 14th, 2009, 7:23 am
Location: Portland, OR

Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#350 Post by Steven Miller » October 31st, 2016, 12:01 pm

M.Kaplan wrote:
c fu wrote:
Steven Miller wrote:A JFK nightmare motivated me to sign up for GE. I just renewed. Worth the hassle and every penny paid and then some.
when you renew do you just pay the fee? or still have to go interview with them?
Sign into your GOES account online and renew. No interview.

https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/goes/jsp/l ... 1809534833
I imagine it's possible you could be selected for another interview either randomly or some other unforeseen guvmnt issue.
tread lightly

Post Reply

Return to “Travel Forum”