Anyone use Global Entry Program?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Cole Kendall

#251 Post by Cole Kendall » September 17th, 2015, 8:15 am

M.Kaplan wrote:Our trips are too long not to check bags. For the first time in recent memory, our bags were on our flight to Milan. A good omen, I hope, for the next 6 weeks.
I fly to Milan from the US regularly (3-5x per year) and it's been maybe five years since a bag did not make it. But it may be that long since I flew via AF.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#252 Post by c fu » September 17th, 2015, 8:16 pm

Steven Miller wrote:Travel rule #1 -- don't check bags. http://onebag.com will teach you the ropes.
No can do. Had clothes for three different climates and brought back wine. [snort.gif]
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Steven Miller

#253 Post by Steven Miller » September 17th, 2015, 8:23 pm

Bringing back wine makes sense. But neither length of trip, nor change of climate requires more than one bag.
tread lightly

todd waldmann

#254 Post by todd waldmann » September 18th, 2015, 7:52 am

Steven Miller wrote:Travel rule #1 -- don't check bags. http://onebag.com will teach you the ropes.
Best change to the way we travel ever. I have a business partner who has a suitcase just for shoes when she travels. I love to see the horrified look on her face when I remind her that our family of four takes three carry on bags for a three week trip to Europe. ;)
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Sarah Kirschbaum

#255 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 18th, 2015, 8:28 am

todd waldmann wrote:
Best change to the way we travel ever. I have a business partner who has a suitcase just for shoes when she travels. I love to see the horrified look on her face when I remind her that our family of four takes three carry on bags for a three week trip to Europe. ;)
It’s the opposite for me, honestly. I used to be so proud of myself when I cut down to just a carry-on for any trip, regardless of length or climate change, and feel very smug hearing about people who foolishly (in my mind) checked bags. The more I’ve traveled, the more I’ve come to reject the tyranny of the carry-on. For business trips and short trips, sure. But I realized that I enjoy longer vacations more with a bit more stuff. I don’t enjoy the feeling of deprivation that comes with weeks out of a tiny suitcase. I don’t need a separate bag for shoes, but I do need at least 3 pairs. I like to work out when I travel, and do a variety of activities from hiking to 3* Michelin restaurants. I like to feel pretty, well-dressed and stylish when I visit pretty and stylish places. I like having all my preferred toiletries available, not just what will fit in a small baggie, and a hairdryer that actually works (those tubes coming out of the wall in European hotels are useless). I like not having to do laundry or pay a hotel a small fortune to do it. And I actually like the freedom of moving unencumbered through the airport and having the luxury of getting on the plane last, if I want to, without having to worry if my bag will fit.

Lost luggage is indeed a pain in the neck and reducing that risk is an admirable goal. It’s just not, at least for me, always the top priority.

todd waldmann

#256 Post by todd waldmann » September 18th, 2015, 8:53 am

The one point I would concede Sarah is the lack of ability to bring my running stuff. We tend to walk so much though that it mostly makes up for it. The best part for me is knowing I'm not lugging around a bunch of bags. And I definitely bring clothes that are nicer for going out...
“Burgundy is, well, Burgundy. A minefield of potential disappointments beloved by elitists and pseudo-intellectuals who like to discuss ad nauseam growers and terroirs—not quality.” RMP

Sarah Kirschbaum

#257 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 18th, 2015, 9:20 am

I never bring multiple bags, except when carrying wine, just a somewhat larger suitcase which needs to be checked, or even just my carry-on with the flaps expanded, which make it too large for overhead bins. I still consider myself a light packer, just no longer bare bones.

Steven Miller

#258 Post by Steven Miller » September 18th, 2015, 9:31 am

I wear size 14 shoes so my one pair of packed shoes is 2 pair for many. But I found that carefully following the one bag guidelines which start with choosing the right bag, choosing the right clothes, being prepared to wash clothes as needed are all critical. I can travel overseas on a business trip with 2 suits packed with one carry-on. For vacations it's just a travel sport coat that looks good, but is designed for travel.

The last time we broke our own rules and checked bags on the way to Botswana via Paris our bags were lost twice enroute. Long story, but we did get them back before we departed for JNB.
tread lightly

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#259 Post by George Hejna » September 18th, 2015, 9:32 am

Shorter lines hopefully......

http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea.com ... k-anymore/

George

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#260 Post by c fu » September 18th, 2015, 9:35 am

Steven Miller wrote:Bringing back wine makes sense. But neither length of trip, nor change of climate requires more than one bag.
If you can fit a suit, three pairs of shoes (casual, suit, workout), outerwear for 35f and clothes for 100f for 16 days in a carry on I applaud you. Especially on international flights where they've been extra draconian on the carry on size. I used to prescribe to the carry on only rule, our honeymoon of 18 days I brought a carry on,
But like Sarah said, there is a lot of freedom from now moving around with a big carry on around the airport and the plane. I've actually gone more and more to checking my bag when I fly, I like the idea of carrying only an iPad.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Steven Miller

#261 Post by Steven Miller » September 18th, 2015, 9:37 am

George Hejna wrote:Shorter lines hopefully......

http://theforwardcabin.boardingarea.com ... k-anymore/

George
Wow. This was so needed. At most airports they needed extra staff at the TSApre lines to coach the masses. Now those staff can be used for more productive work.
tread lightly

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#262 Post by Nancy Dolce » September 18th, 2015, 11:42 am

My husband had GE last year when we returned from Europe in Philly. I didn't. He said he waited for me for about an hour. Just received my GE card on Monday and hope to put it to good use next month.

Having Pre-Check for domestic flights is also a plus. Lots of visits to see the grandkids.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#263 Post by Michel Abood » September 18th, 2015, 5:16 pm

I just flew back from Richmond last night and thanks to Pre-Check zoomed past a surprisingly long line. This enabled me to get onto the direct flight to NYC that was boarding at that moment, thus avoiding my purchased flight to Boston then JFK with a rather short layover (37 minutes!). I would bet a lot that I would have missed the 2nd leg back to NYC from BOS.

Basically, love love love Pre-Check/Global Entry.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Marshall Gelb
GCC Member
GCC Member

#264 Post by Marshall Gelb » October 16th, 2015, 11:20 pm

Just landed at LAX from Heathrow as the first of three wide body jets to land within 15 minutes of each other. GEO easily saved an hour.

Cheers!
Marshall champagne.gif
A quién tiene buen vino no le faltan amigos.

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#265 Post by Nancy Dolce » October 17th, 2015, 12:29 am

Hope to have similar results on Monday, Marshall, as we fly from LHR to DFW.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#266 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 17th, 2015, 8:01 am

Nancy Dolce wrote:Hope to have similar results on Monday, Marshall, as we fly from LHR to DFW.
You should be good. DFW has plenty of terminals and it is fast. They literally wave you through.
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#267 Post by Nancy Dolce » October 17th, 2015, 8:02 am

Joe Dulworth wrote:
Nancy Dolce wrote:Hope to have similar results on Monday, Marshall, as we fly from LHR to DFW.
You should be good. DFW has plenty of terminals and it is fast. They literally wave you through.
Thanks!
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#268 Post by Michael O'Brien » October 17th, 2015, 2:42 pm

I am in the camp of checking luggage. I have rarely had a bag lost or delayed. Once in the 70s and again in the 80s. Just no need to struggle with a heavy carry on. I do carry on my medications and my laptop and a change of clothes just in case. We will be gone for 7 weeks this next trip. I just don't see a carry on as working. No joy in deprivation.
PlanoWino

David Walker

#269 Post by David Walker » October 24th, 2015, 8:31 am

Has anyone had to update their passport info via Global Entry? I need to update mine (previous one expired) - just curious if anyone had issues.

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#270 Post by Nancy Dolce » October 24th, 2015, 9:31 am

Nancy Dolce wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote:
Thanks!
You were right, Joe. Due to strong headwinds, we arrived at DFW a little late. If we didn't both have GE, my guess based on last year is that we would have missed our connecting flight to SAN. As it was, we made it from Terminal D to our gate in Terminal A as first class was just finishing boarding. Our checked bags made it to SAN on time, too. Already worth the $100 fee!
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#271 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 24th, 2015, 10:47 am

Excellent!
wineismylife

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#272 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 24th, 2015, 10:49 am

David Walker wrote:Has anyone had to update their passport info via Global Entry? I need to update mine (previous one expired) - just curious if anyone had issues.
I think Michael O'Brien did recently.
wineismylife

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#273 Post by Michael O'Brien » October 24th, 2015, 12:05 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:
David Walker wrote:Has anyone had to update their passport info via Global Entry? I need to update mine (previous one expired) - just curious if anyone had issues.
Joe is right. My wife and I renewed our passports but our Global Entry renewal came afterwards. I didn't have to do a thing. The correct information was already present. The systems are most likely linked. Global Entry already had our new passport numbers.
PlanoWino

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#274 Post by Jud Reis » October 24th, 2015, 1:08 pm

David - you can update your passport number on line at the global entry web site. Very easy to do and worked for me.

Chris S p i k e s

#275 Post by Chris S p i k e s » October 24th, 2015, 7:41 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
Joe Dulworth wrote:
Joe is right. My wife and I renewed our passports but our Global Entry renewal came afterwards. I didn't have to do a thing. The correct information was already present. The systems are most likely linked. Global Entry already had our new passport numbers.
When I went for my interview a few months ago, the agent told me that it was a quick stop by visit to them to update it. If you can do it remotely/online, that is great!

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#276 Post by Michael O'Brien » October 25th, 2015, 6:13 pm

The renewal visit has to be in person. You will be finger printed again. I think that is a security measure and I don't mind it at all.
PlanoWino

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#277 Post by Nancy Dolce » October 26th, 2015, 9:14 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:The renewal visit has to be in person. You will be finger printed again. I think that is a security measure and I don't mind it at all.
Renewal is different from updating a new passport number into the system. Passports are valid for ten years and GE cards for 5+.

I believe the question about updating the passport number refers to going on the GE Web site if you just renewed a passport and the GE card has not expired. Chris said it wasn't necessary to update GE since they had his new passport number in the system automatically.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

David Walker

#278 Post by David Walker » October 26th, 2015, 9:23 am

Yes - that's correct. IIRC, GE is valid for 5-years and then is subject to renewal (and, apparently, a renewal visit and another set of prints) which is also fine by me.

CWun
GCC Member
GCC Member

#279 Post by CWun » October 26th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Just applied for Global Entry. Seems worth it for 5 years.
C@r_y

Nancy Dolce
GCC Member
GCC Member

#280 Post by Nancy Dolce » October 26th, 2015, 6:52 pm

CWun wrote:Just applied for Global Entry. Seems worth it for 5 years.
Depending on your birth date, it may be longer. Mine is valid from 8/15 till 5/21.
Nancy Dolce
North San Diego County

C Prince
GCC Member
GCC Member

#281 Post by C Prince » October 26th, 2015, 7:01 pm

I'd considering getting GE but have hesitated because of the issue of having ultra secure information on what is turning out to be non secure government websites. If I had to do the fingerprinting and re renewal interview every 5 years that would be a complete non starter for me. I don't recall them mentioning that in the GE info. Is that for sure?
∰Col leen∰

David Walker

#282 Post by David Walker » October 27th, 2015, 12:15 pm

I'm pretty sure you have to "re-qualify" (for lack of a better term) every 5 years.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#283 Post by c fu » October 28th, 2015, 10:45 am

What the F. Terminal 3 in LAX this past friday, the precheck line was longer than the regular line. WHAT WORLD IS THIS.

Vegas on the flight back only had 2 ppl in the precheck line. Except one idiot thought he could bring his cellphone through the metal detractor and his watch. After he was told not to, he replied "but i'm in pre check?"

what a nub
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

David Walker

#284 Post by David Walker » October 28th, 2015, 11:04 am

LAX has, in my experience, been notorious in directing non pre-check folks through pre-check

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#285 Post by Joe Dulworth » October 28th, 2015, 11:31 am

David Walker wrote:LAX has, in my experience, been notorious in directing non pre-check folks through pre-check
My one experience recently was precisely this. The regular line was several times longer than the pre-check line so they were literally alternating back and forth, one by one sending one pre-check through followed by a regular line, back and forth. Needless to say that seriously slowed the pre-check line because the noobs had zero clues how to pre-check.
wineismylife

Sarah Kirschbaum

#286 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » October 30th, 2015, 6:19 am

And yet, Terminal 4 in LAX, for AA, is one of the best I have found. Totally separate entrance and there's never more than a couple of people in the line the dozen or so times I've come through since they put up the new system.

andy velebil

#287 Post by andy velebil » October 31st, 2015, 3:14 pm

Joe Dulworth wrote:
David Walker wrote:LAX has, in my experience, been notorious in directing non pre-check folks through pre-check
My one experience recently was precisely this. The regular line was several times longer than the pre-check line so they were literally alternating back and forth, one by one sending one pre-check through followed by a regular line, back and forth. Needless to say that seriously slowed the pre-check line because the noobs had zero clues how to pre-check.
I've had great luck at LAX. Southwest and Virgin America both have been a breeze with only one person in front of me in the PreCheck line. And both of those were very busy early morning flights where the place was packed. Worth the money for Global Entry just in those two uses.

And if you fly out of Sea-Tac, PreCheck is required or you will be stuck in the longest and slowest line I've ever experienced at an airport (sans Frankfurt once when things went south, LOL).
I'm a Port drinking fool!
http://www.fortheloveofport.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ftlop.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#288 Post by Michael O'Brien » November 2nd, 2015, 10:41 am

You do have to renew Global Entry every five years. Just like the first time, you start the process online and when conditionally approved you go to your appointment. You will be finger printed again. The renewal appointment is much shorter than the original but I understand the importance of it. Strictly online renewal would not confirm that the person renewing is the same person. Fingerprints will. The process is relatively painless and it is certainly far less painful than going through the regular lines. Also more countries are developing their own programs and if you are a Global Entry qualified traveler, joining those programs is much easier. For me, the program in Mexico is a boon although it only covers three cities right now.
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#289 Post by Michael O'Brien » November 2nd, 2015, 10:45 am

I had a surprise at the Denver airport on Saturday when I was returning to DFW. I went through the First Class line and learned that there is no pre-check line at the end of that yellow brick road. I should have gone through the pre-check line irregardless of the fact I was flying first class. I was not a happy camper. Even though my boarding pass was stamped pre-check, I had to go through the old routine. From now on, I will be careful to go through the pre-check line only.
PlanoWino

Gordon Fitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#290 Post by Gordon Fitz » December 1st, 2015, 1:27 pm

I have had mixed results with Global Entry. Sometimes it is great, sometimes the lines for GE are longer than going through regular customs. So make sure, if you can see both lines, to check the lines before going into G.E. So many regular travelers now have G.E., you might be on an international flight where 75% of the other passengers have G.E, also!

The pre-check line is still a good deal with G.E. when getting on the plane

David Walker

#291 Post by David Walker » December 2nd, 2015, 6:02 am

Gordon Fitz wrote:I have had mixed results with Global Entry. Sometimes it is great, sometimes the lines for GE are longer than going through regular customs. So make sure, if you can see both lines, to check the lines before going into G.E. So many regular travelers now have G.E., you might be on an international flight where 75% of the other passengers have G.E, also!
My guess is that this is largely dependent on the route you're flying. LHR - JFK, absolutely.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#292 Post by Dan Hammer » December 2nd, 2015, 6:56 am

Slightly off topic.

All members of GOES (Global Entry) can use the pre-check lines at domestic airports. The TSA was allowing non-members to use the pre-check line, but no more. Pre-check is now officially reserved for those that paid for it. [cheers.gif]
This space for rent.

Steven Miller

#293 Post by Steven Miller » December 2nd, 2015, 10:58 am

I am not seeing that Dan. At a lot of airports I travel thru Pre-check is still full of randomly selected people who have no clue how the service works and extra staff is on hand at those airports to explain it to them.
tread lightly

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#294 Post by Dan Hammer » December 2nd, 2015, 11:04 am

Dan Hammer wrote: Pre-check is now officially reserved for those that paid for it. [cheers.gif]
Steve, that was the morning headline on the news.
This space for rent.

Er€z _ L.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#295 Post by Er€z _ L. » December 2nd, 2015, 11:38 am

GE basically saves my day, a day at a time (take it from 170K+ miles travel )
£ € n c n @ r

EricG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#296 Post by EricG » December 2nd, 2015, 7:45 pm

Anybody know when they are going to link Global Entry with Nexus? Been hearing the rumor for 2 years now, but doesn't appear to have happened yet.
G = G_e_r_b_e_r

Steven Miller

#297 Post by Steven Miller » December 2nd, 2015, 10:30 pm

Dan Hammer wrote:
Dan Hammer wrote: Pre-check is now officially reserved for those that paid for it. [cheers.gif]
I've seen it in the news several times in the past 6 months. But nothing has happened in reality, and TSA has never posted it to their own page, while the most recent article in the LA Times from Nov 30th failed to quote anyone from TSA nor provide any reference that supports the veracity of the claim.

My next trip is early January when we head to Hawaii. We'll test it then.
tread lightly

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#298 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 6th, 2015, 9:56 am

We just received notice that we're eligible for the UK's registered traveler service. Does anyone have any experience?
Apparently we wouldn't qualify it seems aimed at frequent visitors since one requirement is 4 UK trips in the past 52 weeks.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#299 Post by c fu » December 6th, 2015, 10:58 am

Dan Hammer wrote:
Same thing was said months ago. No change.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Sarah Kirschbaum

#300 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » December 6th, 2015, 5:31 pm

I've been in 6 airports in the last week, and I will say that, happily, the pre check lines have been particularly short. I can't make any firm claims as to causation or coincidence, but it has certainly been pleasant.

Return to “Travel Forum”