Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#452 Post by Andrew Kotowski » February 19th, 2019, 12:16 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 8:19 am
Yes to both. [berserker.gif]
To jump on a tangent... this is what I was telling you about at dinner. You could fund a third world economy with what I spent on it over two years :)
http://www.lebeurrebordier.com/en/new-l ... e-roscoff/
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#453 Post by Michel Abood » February 19th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Andrew Kotowski wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 12:16 pm
Michel Abood wrote:
February 19th, 2019, 8:19 am
Yes to both. [berserker.gif]
To jump on a tangent... this is what I was telling you about at dinner. You could fund a third world economy with what I spent on it over two years :)
http://www.lebeurrebordier.com/en/new-l ... e-roscoff/
My guy didn't have that or I would have grabbed it. He did have some others but I figured I'd keep it simple.
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Joe Dulworth
GCC Member
GCC Member

#454 Post by Joe Dulworth » February 20th, 2019, 7:51 am

Wow. That was super easy. Applied for renewal of my Trusted Traveler Program / GOES account with the DHS on the 13th. Got an email last night from them that my application status had changed. Logged in to check the status and they said I was APPROVED for a 6 year extenstion. No need to come in for another interview or updated photograph. 7 days flat. Completely painless. Can't be our government. champagne.gif
wineismylife

Wine is like potato chips around me...if it's open, it's gone.

MyBlog @ wineismylife net

Bdklein

#455 Post by Bdklein » February 23rd, 2019, 8:15 pm

I have it but never used it . Flew home today with wife and daughter into JFK. They don’t have Global Emtry . My wife used the mobile passport app for all of us and it worked out well for us .
Bruce Klein

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#456 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 23rd, 2019, 8:21 pm

Bdklein wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 8:15 pm
I have it but never used it . Flew home today with wife and daughter into JFK. They don’t have Global Emtry . My wife used the mobile passport app for all of us and it worked out well for us .
That's odd. JFK is an enrollment center and according to CBP they have Global Entry at least at terminal 4. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... s/new-york
Last edited by Michael O'Brien on February 24th, 2019, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PlanoWino

Bdklein

#457 Post by Bdklein » February 23rd, 2019, 9:37 pm

Michael O'Brien wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 8:21 pm
Bdklein wrote:
That's odd. JKF is an enrollment center and according to CBP they have Global Entry at least at terminal 4. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... s/new-york
I meant my wife and daughter don’t have Global entry. Sorry for the confusion.
Bruce Klein

Cristina C

#458 Post by Cristina C » February 24th, 2019, 5:49 am

Eric LeVine wrote:
December 19th, 2013, 11:23 am
George Hejna wrote:I have noticed the lines at TSA Pre at ORD are much longer.
We just got back from a family trip to Maui. Both of our kids are in Global Entry as well, so all four of us lined up with about 20 people in front of us. As it turns out, 18 of the 20 people in front of us weren't even TSA-Pre and had to be bumped out of the line one couple at a time...

I like that more of the airlines are now clearly putting the TSA-Pre logo onto boarding passes which makes things less confusing.
I realize this is an old thread, but I had to laugh that this was referring to a trip to/from Maui, which is a US state (but I’ll admit, can feel like a foreign country, and I can say this because it’s my home state).

I love Global Entry—I make no apology for avoiding those lines! My question is this: I urged my girlfriends, who were accompanying me on a trip abroad last month...to apply for Global Entry....and then the Longest Government Shutdown Ever happened...so while discussing reasons why none of them had yet receive their appointment requests (then at 60 days!), one of the ladies stated that she had a DUI about 10 years ago, and could this be a problem?

This fact, added to a comment that someone who was traveling with me through an Intl port a few years ago, “I can’t go through Global b/c I had a DUI...” makes we wonder: does a DUI in fact prevent global entry approval?
C a n a z a r e s

Sommelier. Foodie. Triathlete. I drink, eat, and run. And repeat.

Jay $$ Winton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#459 Post by Jay $$ Winton » February 24th, 2019, 8:19 am

GE was great when we recently returned from Mexico to BWI. The FA warned us two other international flights were arriving simultaneously so we should rush to beat the lines. Well, there were long lines for those who weren't using GE. We were through customs and calling uber in 10 minutes or so. Nice way to end a trip.
Immaturity-my life, not my wine.

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#460 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 24th, 2019, 12:05 pm

Bdklein wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 9:37 pm
Michael O'Brien wrote:
February 23rd, 2019, 8:21 pm
Bdklein wrote:
That's odd. JKF is an enrollment center and according to CBP they have Global Entry at least at terminal 4. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... s/new-york
I meant my wife and daughter don’t have Global entry. Sorry for the confusion.
Sorry. I misinterpreted your comment. Took it for granted everyone in the family had Global Entry. Our is up for renewal the second time next year.
PlanoWino

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#461 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » February 24th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Cristina C wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:49 am
Eric LeVine wrote:
We just got back from a family trip to Maui. Both of our kids are in Global Entry as well, so all four of us lined up with about 20 people in front of us. As it turns out, 18 of the 20 people in front of us weren't even TSA-Pre and had to be bumped out of the line one couple at a time...

I like that more of the airlines are now clearly putting the TSA-Pre logo onto boarding passes which makes things less confusing.
I realize this is an old thread, but I had to laugh that this was referring to a trip to/from Maui, which is a US state (but I’ll admit, can feel like a foreign country, and I can say this because it’s my home state).

I love Global Entry—I make no apology for avoiding those lines! My question is this: I urged my girlfriends, who were accompanying me on a trip abroad last month...to apply for Global Entry....and then the Longest Government Shutdown Ever happened...so while discussing reasons why none of them had yet receive their appointment requests (then at 60 days!), one of the ladies stated that she had a DUI about 10 years ago, and could this be a problem?

This fact, added to a comment that someone who was traveling with me through an Intl port a few years ago, “I can’t go through Global b/c I had a DUI...” makes we wonder: does a DUI in fact prevent global entry approval?
A DUI conviction doesn’t appear to be automatically disqualifying, especially if over 10 years old. You need to disclose it. Canada can also dent you entry if you have a DUI conviction.

YLee

#462 Post by YLee » February 26th, 2019, 7:02 pm

You dont need Global Entry. You can go on the same line for free.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Bdklein

#463 Post by Bdklein » February 27th, 2019, 8:02 am

Mobile Passport worked well in JFK. And it’s free
Bruce Klein

Ramon C

#464 Post by Ramon C » February 28th, 2019, 11:08 am

Have witnessed it so often in JFK as I usually arrive from overseas with what seems like 3 or 4 other arrivals. The Global Entry kiosk very quickly gets me out of there and into a cab (or subway if I'm not tired) while I see a looooong line with the mobile pp.
@brera

Steven Miller

#465 Post by Steven Miller » February 28th, 2019, 11:46 am

The JFK multiple simultaneous arrival nightmare is what motivated me to join the program.

That particular terminal has since been overhauled and is now used for Domestic flights. I'm sure the new terminal 4 can be quite awful without GE.
tread lightly

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#466 Post by Eric LeVine » March 1st, 2019, 7:54 am

Cristina C wrote:
February 24th, 2019, 5:49 am
Eric LeVine wrote:

I have to laugh that you think I am so stupid as to not know that Hawaii is a state.

Global Entry also gains you the domestic TSA Pre benefit. So we got in the TSA Pre line, and my reply mentions both Global Entry AND TSA Pre. As it happened, my family lived abroad for 2.5 years shortly after this 2013 trip, so we used the actual Global Entry aspect dozens of times. And now we are Nexus, which is a superset of TSA Pre AND Global Entry.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

J I M Nuffie!d

#467 Post by J I M Nuffie!d » March 14th, 2019, 8:54 pm

I have this. It can be an enormous time saver.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#468 Post by Michel Abood » May 13th, 2019, 5:23 pm

WARNING= Mobile passport switched to a freemium version a few weeks ago. I usually read review before updating apps, and when I noticed there was an update I went to the Play store and started reading. Apparently it's now $15/year so the app can do what was once free: scan your passport, and keep your profile. If you want to stay with the free version you'll need to re-enter all the data every time (and not more than 4 hours before landing). If you haven't updated, you can still use the app the old way, supposedly.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paid-mobile-passport-app/

Looks like I'm staying with GE for a while, which isn't an issue considering most participating airports have tons of new kiosks.

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#469 Post by Michael Martin » May 13th, 2019, 5:34 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
May 13th, 2019, 5:23 pm
WARNING= Mobile passport switched to a freemium version a few weeks ago. I usually read review before updating apps, and when I noticed there was an update I went to the Play store and started reading. Apparently it's now $15/year so the app can do what was once free: scan your passport, and keep your profile. If you want to stay with the free version you'll need to re-enter all the data every time (and not more than 4 hours before landing). If you haven't updated, you can still use the app the old way, supposedly.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/paid-mobile-passport-app/

Looks like I'm staying with GE for a while, which isn't an issue considering most participating airports have tons of new kiosks.
Thanks for the heads up.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#470 Post by Paul McCourt » May 14th, 2019, 5:55 am

I have used GE moe than a few times and it has usually saved me considerable time. Just came home from the UK and it allowed me to bypass a hundred+ person line at JFK that I would have otherwise stood in. That alone made it worth it. The fact that a credit card I have picks up the fee makes it even more of a no brainer.

By the way, next month the UK is allowing US passport holders to use their e-gates, which is great.
PauLeeeenda 2020: Tasty Waves and a Cool Buzz for America

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#471 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 14th, 2019, 5:59 am

Paul McCourt wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 5:55 am
I have used GE moe than a few times and it has usually saved me considerable time. Just came home from the UK and it allowed me to bypass a hundred+ person line at JFK that I would have otherwise stood in. That alone made it worth it. The fact that a credit card I have picks up the fee makes it even more of a no brainer.

By the way, next month the UK is allowing US passport holders to use their e-gates, which is great.
Thanks for the info on the U.K. e-gates going in 2 months.

Andrew Kotowski
GCC Member
GCC Member

#472 Post by Andrew Kotowski » May 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

That is GREAT news.
You can find me at the grill! Https://www.facebook.com/akgrill

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#473 Post by Paul McCourt » May 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

Note: you need a passport w a chip. I don’t know if anyone doesn’t have that anymore

And yeah, it is very good news at heathrow.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#474 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » May 14th, 2019, 1:02 pm

Paul McCourt wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 10:35 am
Note: you need a passport w a chip. I don’t know if anyone doesn’t have that anymore

I saw that you needed a chip and panicked. Turns out chips were added in 2007.

Paul McCourt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#475 Post by Paul McCourt » May 14th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Tom G l a s g o w wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 1:02 pm
Paul McCourt wrote:
May 14th, 2019, 10:35 am

I saw that you needed a chip and panicked. Turns out chips were added in 2007.
Yeah, I guess everyone has cycled into the chip by now.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#476 Post by Michel Abood » September 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm

I applied for Global Entry renewal as it was expiring at the end of October and finally got re-approved. It only took about 3 months. [head-bang.gif]

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#477 Post by Dan Hammer » September 10th, 2019, 4:06 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm
I applied for Global Entry renewal as it was expiring at the end of October and finally got re-approved. It only took about 3 months. [head-bang.gif]
Reports on renewals are 3 months. As a matter of fact, there's a thread on the very topic on Flyertalk.
So what's the good news, you can re-apply up to a year in advance. Your cards new expiration date will be based on the original expiration date, and not when it's approved. Make sure you use your $100 credit that many credit cards now offer.

When I have a few minutes, I'll link to the FT thread. It will make your head spin with all the what ifs. [rofl.gif]
This space for rent.

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#478 Post by David K o l i n » September 10th, 2019, 4:42 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm
That’s what their website says

Return to “Travel Forum”