Anyone use Global Entry Program?

Tips, stories, and questions about travel-related topics
Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#1 Post by Michel Abood » December 8th, 2009, 8:24 am

On my recent return from Paris, a Customs agent handed me a form containing information about the new Global Entry Program. It's run by the US Government (unlike the previous thing which was run by a private corporation), and it offers a quick entry lane. As someone who does a fair amount of travel overseas, this looks interesting to me. Cost is $100 for a 2 year pass. Of course, I'd have to go through pre-approval security and background checks (with my last name, that could be fun...).

So anyone in this? Is it worth it?
Merci! [thankyou.gif]
Guess what? I'm ITB-> Vinotas Selections

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Anyone use Global Entry Program?

#2 Post by Michael O'Brien » January 25th, 2010, 11:40 am

I finally scrolled down far enough to see this topic. I completed the online enrollment process and received my conditional approval within 3 days. My next step was to schedule my face to face interview which is also done online. Next month, I will go for my interview at my local airport (DFW). The program must be ramping up because the earliest I could get an appointment was about two weeks out. The appointment time blocks are 30 minutes which suggests that the program is not to onerous. You have to take the conditional approval email you received and your passport. We shall see but I will be ecstatic if I can speed up the process at the airport.

Now I wonder if this status will help me in arriving and departing from foreign airports (other than Amsterdam). I haven't found anything to suggest it does or maybe I haven't dug deep enough into the details. You can rest assured I will be asking when I go to my interview.
PlanoWino

Michael O'Brien
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael O'Brien » February 5th, 2010, 5:01 pm

Went for my in person interview Wednesday. In and out in 30 minutes. They put a bar-coded stamp on the back page of my passport and showed me how to use the kiosk. Really slick. Even if kiosk is down for some reason, you can go to the agent closest to the koisk, show your CDP sticker/barcode, present your customs declaration and pass without waiting in the long lines at the POE. If the kiosk is up, you make your customs declaration on the kiosk screen, take your printed receipt from the kiosk and got through a special line dedicated to the program. It will certainly reduce the aggravation and the wait.

I fully expect that over time, this program will spread to where it will be acceptable in other countries that enter into reciprocal agreements.
PlanoWino

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Michel Abood » February 6th, 2010, 7:44 am

Michael O'Brien wrote:Went for my in person interview Wednesday. In and out in 30 minutes. They put a bar-coded stamp on the back page of my passport and showed me how to use the kiosk. Really slick. Even if kiosk is down for some reason, you can go to the agent closest to the koisk, show your CDP sticker/barcode, present your customs declaration and pass without waiting in the long lines at the POE. If the kiosk is up, you make your customs declaration on the kiosk screen, take your printed receipt from the kiosk and got through a special line dedicated to the program. It will certainly reduce the aggravation and the wait.

I fully expect that over time, this program will spread to where it will be acceptable in other countries that enter into reciprocal agreements.
Thanks Michael, I travel so much internationally that this is sounding better and better.

Joel W

#5 Post by Joel W » November 22nd, 2013, 12:00 pm

Time for a BUMP

Just thought I'd reach out to see if anyone else is using this program and how they like it?

I was flying home this weekend from OAK and saw several people moved through to the front of the security lines at OAK because of this program.

Anyhow, I got an email last week from JetBlue advertising this and decided today to spend the $100 and apply for this. Online application took about 20 minutes to complete. I know I have to go over to LAX for an in-person interview in the near future but it seems like a good idea. I certainly travel enough for work and personal for this to make sense for me.

I would be interested in hearing about others experiences that use this.
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by ClarkstonMark » November 22nd, 2013, 12:22 pm

It is great. You do not even need to stop at Immigration. Just the kiosk, print out a paper, flash that to a immigration officer and you are off to baggage claim/customs.
You don't need to fill out the form they hand you on the airplane either (I94?).
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

Karr!ng M o a n

#7 Post by Karr!ng M o a n » November 22nd, 2013, 12:23 pm

I've used it for a few years and really like it. It works especially well when arriving back into the US, but when departing you don't always get to go through the TSA Pre lane. There is still a random process where sometimes you will not be 'selected' and have to go through the regular line.

I have also noticed that at some airports it works really well (MSP for instance), but the line in Atlanta always seems long when departing and I get 'rejected' there more often for some reason. There are actually sometimes when the Global Entry/TSA Pre line is longer than the regular line, but that isn't very often.

Another benefit is that you can take your kids through the line with you until the age of 12. Also, if you have the Amex Platinum card they will reimburse you for the $100 fee.

k.

John Liotta

#8 Post by John Liotta » November 22nd, 2013, 12:27 pm

Michel, I think Bowden uses it and a few of my other friends. Everyone who has has been very enthusiastic about it.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by George Hejna » November 22nd, 2013, 12:36 pm

I have been using it for about 6 months. It is wonderful. Ohare immigrations took me literally 2 min. TSA Pre is great also. Nice not having to take off shoes, remove laptops etc. It is getting more crowded though. Last week at ORD the T3 TSA PRE line was longer than the AA 1st Class Ex Platinum/Platinum line. My entire family including 2 kids has Global Entry. I will do anything to minimize having to stand in line.

George

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Michel Abood » November 22nd, 2013, 12:44 pm

Just filled out the application the other day, funny you should bump this thread.

Mont Stern
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by Mont Stern » November 23rd, 2013, 5:42 pm

I love it. The TSA pre is just icing on the cake.

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Dan Hammer » November 23rd, 2013, 5:54 pm

Everyone, well, almost everyone on Flyertalk uses this.
This space for rent.

Peter Metzger

#13 Post by Peter Metzger » November 23rd, 2013, 6:34 pm

If you pay with a Platinum AMEX, AMEX refunds $100 on the cost -- at least they did when I signed up 6 months to a year ago.
Peter

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by JKim » November 23rd, 2013, 6:47 pm

Totally worth it. Well, if you fly international at all.
Joe

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Michel Abood » November 24th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Peter Metzger wrote:If you pay with a Platinum AMEX, AMEX refunds $100 on the cost -- at least they did when I signed up 6 months to a year ago.
That, plus the amount of travel I am doing, made it a no-brainer.

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Jeff Bloom » November 26th, 2013, 9:21 am

Mont Stern wrote:I love it. The TSA pre is just icing on the cake.
Yes, but the TSA pre-check is really nice icing. I got Global Entry before pre-check was available, though, and am thankful I did every time I come in through Customs and Immigration. Everyone who travels internationally should get this.

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#17 Post by c fu » November 26th, 2013, 4:18 pm

just got it, haven't used it yet. Looking forward to it. My wife's office had the people come in and do the interviews, in and out in 5 minutes.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Michael Bowden » November 26th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Best $100 I never spent (got the AMEX credit).

TSA-Pre is fantastic (you can be knocked out so, it's not a guarantee, but you should be able to get back in next flight). It's random, but frustrating when you plan on getting TSA-Pre.
I'm taller than Zach Lang.

It's Michael.....not Mike, Mark, Mick, Mikey...get it? got it? good.

Good fries are better than great tater tots.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Mark Y » November 26th, 2013, 4:24 pm

I drive up to Canada from Seattle so i have Nexus.. with Nexus you get global entry included..

is it worth it on its own? probably.. but with Nexus together it's a no brainer.

You save about 20-30 mins of time each time you travel internationally upon return.. factor how often you do that, and weight against the cost of the program..
Y.e.

Jud Reis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by Jud Reis » November 27th, 2013, 6:46 am

Another rave review- along with the DVR and Fast Lane toll transponder, one of the three great products of recent times!

tedstinson
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by tedstinson » November 29th, 2013, 9:27 pm

I use global entry (and tsa pre) and love it. For flying home into SFO - including breaking stride at the global entry machine - it's 10 minutes from plane to car.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Matt Latuchie » December 1st, 2013, 10:01 am

i've been a fan.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Michel Abood » December 3rd, 2013, 10:09 am

Just got an interview appointment, but have to go out to Newark as all the slots for JFK and downtown Manhattan were full until well into early next year. Crossing fingers all goes well as I'm traveling a bunch next year.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by JKim » December 3rd, 2013, 10:20 am

Michel Abood wrote:Just got an interview appointment, but have to go out to Newark as all the slots for JFK and downtown Manhattan were full until well into early next year. Crossing fingers all goes well as I'm traveling a bunch next year.
The interview is more a formality than anything else. Ask you a couple of question, take your pic, and out in 10 min. LAX is 4 months out for interviews, ridiculous. You'll love the program and wonder why other ppl don't take advantage.
Joe

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by George Hejna » December 3rd, 2013, 12:29 pm

Michel Abood wrote:Just got an interview appointment, but have to go out to Newark as all the slots for JFK and downtown Manhattan were full until well into early next year. Crossing fingers all goes well as I'm traveling a bunch next year.
Keep checking back. I had same issues at Ohare where there was nothing available and then all of a sudden it was wide open. Other sites showed availability just not O'hare.

George

Brian Curtis

#26 Post by Brian Curtis » December 3rd, 2013, 12:51 pm

We had our appointments in Seattle in October. It was a several month wait (at least) to get them when we scheduled.

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Michel Abood » December 3rd, 2013, 1:38 pm

George Hejna wrote:
Keep checking back. I had same issues at Ohare where there was nothing available and then all of a sudden it was wide open. Other sites showed availability just not O'hare.

George
Yeah, I plan on checking 1-2 times a day if I can for something in NYC as opposed to hiking out to one of the airports. I have to travel to Europe in late January so I'd love to have this beforehand.

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Michael Bowden » December 3rd, 2013, 6:07 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
George Hejna wrote:

George
Yeah, I plan on checking 1-2 times a day if I can for something in NYC as opposed to hiking out to one of the airports. I have to travel to Europe in late January so I'd love to have this beforehand.
Many others had a different experience but by TSA-Pre didn't kick in until purchased a ticket with my trusted traveler # in my Skymiles Acct. Basically it didn't apply on a ticket that I had booked before I got into the GE program.

Joel W

#29 Post by Joel W » December 6th, 2013, 8:58 am

I got my conditional approval notification the other day...

They had a few spots open in December at LAX for interviews and I waited a couple days to schedule because I had some travel that I was waiting to hear back from a client on to schedule...

well, bad move... everything is booked and now the first available appointment is in mid march. So I'm waiting for a few months to get all set up. I'm already dreading the lines....

stupid me....
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Tom C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Tom C » December 12th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Do you still have to watch the video at the interview? I went into the interview nervous about what was going to happen and the first thing they had me do was sit in a small room and watch a 10-15 minute movie about how to use Global Entry.
Tom Cusick

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#31 Post by c fu » December 12th, 2013, 2:04 pm

Tom C wrote:Do you still have to watch the video at the interview? I went into the interview nervous about what was going to happen and the first thing they had me do was sit in a small room and watch a 10-15 minute movie about how to use Global Entry.
I didn't. Guy asked me my name. What countries I've gone to in the past few years and that was it
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

SteveC

#32 Post by SteveC » December 12th, 2013, 2:20 pm

I got my conditional approval, but I must wait until March for my interview :(
Ste ve C o yl e
""Too Much Wine, Too Little Time"
"Life is Too Short to Drink Bad Wine."
"Damn You GC, You Have Cost Me Loads of Money by Introducing Me to This Obsession!!"

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#33 Post by c fu » December 12th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:
Many others had a different experience but by TSA-Pre didn't kick in until purchased a ticket with my trusted traveler # in my Skymiles Acct. Basically it didn't apply on a ticket that I had booked before I got into the GE program.
interesting. I didn't get into GE until last month. Had booked a flight a month before that. Put in my trav # 5 days before the flight and it applied. But stupid ass LAX closed the pre-check line at the airport -_-
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Michel Abood » December 12th, 2013, 2:43 pm

Charlie Fu wrote:
Tom C wrote:Do you still have to watch the video at the interview? I went into the interview nervous about what was going to happen and the first thing they had me do was sit in a small room and watch a 10-15 minute movie about how to use Global Entry.
I didn't. Guy asked me my name. What countries I've gone to in the past few years and that was it
That was it? I go next Monday to Newark for that? Sheesh, you'd think they'd have more openings in NYC based on the number of travelers here. For the record, it's a PITA to get to the airports as I don't have a car and can't Zipcar it without knowing how long it will take to do the interview.

JKim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by JKim » December 12th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Michel Abood wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:
That was it? I go next Monday to Newark for that? Sheesh, you'd think they'd have more openings in NYC based on the number of travelers here. For the record, it's a PITA to get to the airports as I don't have a car and can't Zipcar it without knowing how long it will take to do the interview.
Interview will take 15 min max.
Joe

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#36 Post by c fu » December 15th, 2013, 9:54 am

Michel Abood wrote:
Charlie Fu wrote:
My longest time waiting was for the person in front of me to get her kid to stop talking and get his fingerprint scanned
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Michel Abood » December 17th, 2013, 7:17 am

I went for the interview yesterday and it was pretty quick, as you all said. The longest time was for the fingerprint scanner which had issues with my right hand (I have exzema so this might have had an effect). In any case, as folks mentioned, the interview was pretty straightforward: why do you want this, where have you been, did you go to X countries within the past 5 years, any prior arrests in/out of the US.

The longest time was spent chatting and laughing with the guys. They were all jealous that I was importing wine and refused to believe that I had to suffer through oceans of crappy juice to find the few drops of deliciousness we bring in.

I'll know in 2 weeks if I'm accepted or not into Global, but I did get a TSA Precheck number to add to all my airline profiles.

Joel W

#38 Post by Joel W » December 17th, 2013, 11:10 am

Just went back on the site today and was happy to see some open dates in mid January so I moved my appointment up from March. Thank god. Really looking forward to this, mainly the TSA precheck option. That's gold to me....
J W.e.1.t.y
Calm Down...

Michel Abood
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by Michel Abood » December 18th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Wow that was fast. I just got an email saying I've been accepted, so I'll be getting a card in the mail in the next few days to use the kiosk. Woohoo!

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Eric LeVine » December 18th, 2013, 11:13 pm

Your next big struggle is, airline by airline, to make sure that your name on record (middle name, middle initial etc.) EXACTLY matches what you have in the Global Entry system. At this point I am good with Alaska, Delta, and Hawaiian. However I have been hosed with United. I think after 7 phone calls and endless dorking with my web profile that I finally have it sorted out.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by George Hejna » December 19th, 2013, 5:57 am

Michel Abood wrote:Wow that was fast. I just got an email saying I've been accepted, so I'll be getting a card in the mail in the next few days to use the kiosk. Woohoo!
You don't need the card unless you are traveling by car over a U.S border. All you need at the Kiosk is your passport and fingerprint. If you are approved you can use it right now.

George

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by George Hejna » December 19th, 2013, 6:01 am

Eric LeVine wrote:Your next big struggle is, airline by airline, to make sure that your name on record (middle name, middle initial etc.) EXACTLY matches what you have in the Global Entry system. At this point I am good with Alaska, Delta, and Hawaiian. However I have been hosed with United. I think after 7 phone calls and endless dorking with my web profile that I finally have it sorted out.

Good to see TSA Pre expanding. When I first joined about 18 months ago it was just AA, Delta, USAir and United and very few airports had it. I just looked at the list of airports and it is all over the place.
I have noticed the lines at TSA Pre at ORD are much longer. A year ago it would not be unusual for me to be the only one in line. Now it backs up a bit.

George

Michael Bowden
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Michael Bowden » December 19th, 2013, 10:43 am

Went from ATL to TPA yesterday and was with fellow WB'er John Liotta.

We arrived at airport at the same time and headed towards security at the exact same time.

I was through security (using TSA-Pre) and then waited for him for 32 minutes.

Well worth every $.01

John Davis
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by John Davis » December 19th, 2013, 11:21 am

Another fan here....

JD
ITB

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Eric LeVine » December 19th, 2013, 11:23 am

George Hejna wrote:I have noticed the lines at TSA Pre at ORD are much longer.
We just got back from a family trip to Maui. Both of our kids are in Global Entry as well, so all four of us lined up with about 20 people in front of us. As it turns out, 18 of the 20 people in front of us weren't even TSA-Pre and had to be bumped out of the line one couple at a time...

I like that more of the airlines are now clearly putting the TSA-Pre logo onto boarding passes which makes things less confusing.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by George Hejna » December 19th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
George Hejna wrote:I have noticed the lines at TSA Pre at ORD are much longer.
We just got back from a family trip to Maui. Both of our kids are in Global Entry as well, so all four of us lined up with about 20 people in front of us. As it turns out, 18 of the 20 people in front of us weren't even TSA-Pre and had to be bumped out of the line one couple at a time...

I like that more of the airlines are now clearly putting the TSA-Pre logo onto boarding passes which makes things less confusing.
I fly almost exclusively AA and they did not have the logo on the boarding pass in the beginning so it was tough on the people to prescreen. Now they do it is much easier.

The other issue that comes up is that now with Global Entry sometimes people with TSA Pre don't have higher status. At ORD the TSA Pre line is next to the special Platinum, Ex Platinum and first class line. If you don't qualify for Pre and don't have status you are technically supposed to leave that checkpoint and go stand in the regular non-status line. Cause some issues now and again.

B

George Hejna
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by George Hejna » December 19th, 2013, 1:01 pm

Michael Bowden wrote:Went from ATL to TPA yesterday and was with fellow WB'er John Liotta.

We arrived at airport at the same time and headed towards security at the exact same time.

Well worth every $.01

Tell Liotta I will lend him the hundred bucks so he can get Global Entry. [snort.gif] neener

George

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by dcornutt » January 2nd, 2014, 5:00 am

ClarkstonMark wrote:It is great. You do not even need to stop at Immigration. Just the kiosk, print out a paper, flash that to a immigration officer and you are off to baggage claim/customs.
You don't need to fill out the form they hand you on the airplane either (I94?).
In Atlanta on reentry from outside the US, this is worth something. Actually it is worth an amazing amount just to skip immigration which can be very long. I have never been in a foreign country where the immigration lines are like Atlanta. It is THE WORST. Both my wife and I got free access through AMEX Platinum. They reimburse you for it.

The TSA pre check for US flights is just a nice big bonus. It saves up to half an hour in ATL.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

Steven Miller

#49 Post by Steven Miller » January 2nd, 2014, 5:41 am

Delta @ JFK during peak hours in the old terminal was much worse than Atlanta (60+ minutes in a crowded hallway). I haven't experienced the new terminal yet to compare. Delta arrival @ JFK motivated me to join Global Entry which now also includes TSApre. Well worth the small expense and hassle.
tread lightly

John Liotta

#50 Post by John Liotta » January 2nd, 2014, 8:17 am

George Hejna wrote:
Michael Bowden wrote:Went from ATL to TPA yesterday and was with fellow WB'er John Liotta.

Well worth every $.01

Tell Liotta I will lend him the hundred bucks so he can get Global Entry. [snort.gif] neener

George
In the process now. Was waiting for new passport.
Past- ITB Wine
Present- ITB Beer

Return to “Travel Forum”