Munich, one night

My wife and I are taking a trip to Slovenia (separate thread coming). We fly in and out of Munich. Our return flight departs from Munich at 11:40, so we will be staying in Munich the night prior. Looking for recommendations for one night, both lodging and entertainment (food and drink). We WILL NOT have a car. So we will need to stay somewhere that make getting to the airport the following morning very convenient.

I assume there are hotels near the airport, and we are willing to consider those. I just thought we might have some other options that would also put us closer to better restaurants, bierstuben, and weinstuben.

Thanks.

I used to stay at the Sofitel right next to the station. Very modern, excellent underground pool/spa and great breakfast. The airport is a good distance away so a taxi is expensive (>€60 iirc) but the sbhan runs from the station.

Like most German cities the station area is a bit grubby but quite safe.

I’m out of date for restaurants. I used to always eat pork and drink beer at one of the big places.

When? during oktoberfest?

you should go downtown, and hit a few of the beer halls… it’s great atmosphere…
obviously if you’re there during Oktoberfest, you should be in a few of the tents…

Only a week to go to catch Oktoberfest… Depending on how refined you like things you might want to research which tent/s you pick.

If you stay anywhere in Altstadt even remotely close to Marienplatz and the central Bahnhof you can catch an S-Bahn to the airport from there. Roughly 35 minutes transport time. Then you’ll have any nice tourist hotel, restaurant and bier hall at your disposal for the day and evening.

This is a good recommendation for 1 night.

Thanks for the replies thus far. The last one sounds most plausible.

For reference, the date we’ll be staying there is October 23. Oktoberfest will have run its course by then. Still open to additional suggestions. Joe, any specific place you recommend?

Before you go, try to watch this video blog - He has some interesting suggestions for food in Munich -Amazing Munich Food Tour - German CRISPY PORK LEG and Attractions in Munich, Germany! - YouTube

AzHPT6wdMGI

Brad,

No place in particular. Our most recent trip we stayed at Hotel Mercure Munich Altstadt. Certainly clean and comfortable and very well located between the central Banhof and Marienplatz. Your basic 3 star tourist and business class hotel. If you’re looking for a nice place though to spoil the wife a bit this isn’t it. It was perfect for me and my college aged son though.

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2185056#p2185056

For beer in late October, you may have better luck indoors vs. outdoors, but you never know. Augustiner Keller, Andechser am Dom (Andechs beers), Forschungsbrauerei (interesting local small batch beers) are all good options in the city. Kloster Andechs is a favorite, but it requires a trip out of the city.

I had one night in Munich last year and landed at Alter Hof, which serves pretty much just Franconian wine. Quite a few to try by the glass. Food was good. In the main downtown area. I left slightly inebriated and pretty happy…

I’ve also found the Le Meridien to be a pretty good value, especially if you happen to have some Starwood or Marriott points on hand. It’s right across the street from the hauptbahnhof, which makes it a convenient option for a short stay in the city.

Thanks for the continued suggestions. Ended up booking an AirBnB lodging in the Altstadt. I will check out some of the suggestions for food and drink.

I’m a sucker for suckling pig and their beer so if I have one dinner in Munich, I’d hit Andechs am Dom. Don’t miss their local Wagyu tartar.